Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
The Bug Whisperer

Default Potatoes

Just curious about varieties of potatoes grown by others in this group. Here's a few of ours...
Attached Thumbnails
Potatoes-100_0199.jpg   Potatoes-100_0127.jpg   Potatoes-100_0128.jpg  

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

I don't grow any. I HAVE got to start learning how to grow food. Potatoes and rutabagas are top on my list. Do you know what variety of potato it is that we buy that's tiny and red that is used in canning recipes and soups? How much space does it take to grow that many potatoes?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Pope

I like the first batch, suunto. Some of them are making rude gestures and in the rest I can see the faces of WC Fields and Martha Stewart.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
Pope

Hey! I LOVE rutabagas. Most people that I know have never tried them, in part (I think) because of the silly name. I was floored when I learned that they are a cross between cabbage and turnips. It seems like such an improbable match, like crossing an emu with a chicken and coming up with a turkey Like turkeys, rutabagas taste best roasted, too.

Last edited by Hedgerowe; 09-26-2009 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Typo!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Do you know what variety of potato it is that we buy that's tiny and red that is used in canning recipes and soups? How much space does it take to grow that many potatoes?
I'm not sure of which cultivar you mean. It might be a fingerling variety such as 'Red Thumb' that never gets very large, or it could be a 'regular sized' cultivar harvested while very small. As for space, I plant my rows about three feet apart with the potatoes planted approximately 10" apart. The wider the spacing, the larger the potatoes likely will grow. You also can grow them in containers if space is limited. To get some idea as to the cultivars available to the home gardener, see http://www.ronnigers.com/id8.html

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 09-26-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Hey! I LOVE rutabagas. Like turkeys, rutabagas taste best roasted, too.
Interesting - I've never tried roasting rutabagas (my wife always calls them 'swedes'), we usually just have them boiled and mashed. However, I also like them raw.

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 09-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
Just curious about varieties of potatoes grown by others in this group. Here's a few of ours...
I've raised some reds like your pic #3 for a few years. The plants shut down in mid-summer, and the spuds keep well in the fridge, so we have enough for maybe three months. When my garden gets big enough for more plants, I want to add a later variety. I'm taking more pictures now than I ever have, but pictures of my spuds??!!
benj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

Suunto - that first photo looks like they must have grown near a nuclear power plant. . . nice crop of spuds you have there.

Equilibrium. . . not sure, but it sounds like you're describing what we call "new potatoes" which are the smaller of the newly dug potatoes. The skins are tender enough you can scrub them off with a brush or nylon scrubber part of a sponge.

They're wonderful cooked with fresh snap beans, by the way.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Suunto - that first photo looks like they must have grown near a nuclear power plant.
Actually, they were treated to a good dose of compost. It is a fingerling variety simply called 'French'; they typically develop in a complex shape that makes them difficult to dig without breaking off some of the 'fingers.' Obviously, one does not peel these!

Henry Ward Beecher
Old 09-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

suunto> how much volume in potatoes could I expect to get from a 4 x 8 raised bed? And what else can be planted with a root crop so I wouldn't need to be weeding all the time? Biig> New Potatoes! That's it. That's what I was thinking. So what variety would I pick?

Tags
garden, gardening, grow, grow potatoes, growing, growing potatoes, how to, how to grow potatoes, methods, methods for growing potatoes, potato, potato growing methods, potato storage, potato varieties, potatoes, storage, varieties of potatoes