Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Vegetables other than tomatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/)
-   -   Potatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/3891-potatoes.html)

suunto 09-26-2009 12:40 PM

Potatoes

3 Attachment(s)
Just curious about varieties of potatoes grown by others in this group. Here's a few of ours...

Equilibrium 09-26-2009 01:05 PM

I don't grow any. I HAVE got to start learning how to grow food. Potatoes and rutabagas are top on my list. Do you know what variety of potato it is that we buy that's tiny and red that is used in canning recipes and soups? How much space does it take to grow that many potatoes?

Hedgerowe 09-26-2009 01:40 PM

I like the first batch, suunto. Some of them are making rude gestures and in the rest I can see the faces of WC Fields and Martha Stewart.

Hedgerowe 09-26-2009 01:52 PM

Hey! I LOVE rutabagas. Most people that I know have never tried them, in part (I think) because of the silly name. I was floored when I learned that they are a cross between cabbage and turnips. It seems like such an improbable match, like crossing an emu with a chicken and coming up with a turkey :turkeydance Like turkeys, rutabagas taste best roasted, too.

suunto 09-26-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 40884)
Do you know what variety of potato it is that we buy that's tiny and red that is used in canning recipes and soups? How much space does it take to grow that many potatoes?

I'm not sure of which cultivar you mean. It might be a fingerling variety such as 'Red Thumb' that never gets very large, or it could be a 'regular sized' cultivar harvested while very small. As for space, I plant my rows about three feet apart with the potatoes planted approximately 10" apart. The wider the spacing, the larger the potatoes likely will grow. You also can grow them in containers if space is limited. To get some idea as to the cultivars available to the home gardener, see http://www.ronnigers.com/id8.html

suunto 09-26-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hedgerowe (Post 40891)
Hey! I LOVE rutabagas. Like turkeys, rutabagas taste best roasted, too.

Interesting - I've never tried roasting rutabagas (my wife always calls them 'swedes'), we usually just have them boiled and mashed. However, I also like them raw.

benj1 09-26-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suunto (Post 40883)
Just curious about varieties of potatoes grown by others in this group. Here's a few of ours...

I've raised some reds like your pic #3 for a few years. The plants shut down in mid-summer, and the spuds keep well in the fridge, so we have enough for maybe three months. When my garden gets big enough for more plants, I want to add a later variety. I'm taking more pictures now than I ever have, but pictures of my spuds??!!

biigblueyes 09-26-2009 06:57 PM

Suunto - that first photo looks like they must have grown near a nuclear power plant. . . nice crop of spuds you have there.

Equilibrium. . . not sure, but it sounds like you're describing what we call "new potatoes" which are the smaller of the newly dug potatoes. The skins are tender enough you can scrub them off with a brush or nylon scrubber part of a sponge.

They're wonderful cooked with fresh snap beans, by the way.

suunto 09-27-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 40919)
Suunto - that first photo looks like they must have grown near a nuclear power plant.

Actually, they were treated to a good dose of compost. It is a fingerling variety simply called 'French'; they typically develop in a complex shape that makes them difficult to dig without breaking off some of the 'fingers.' Obviously, one does not peel these!

Equilibrium 09-27-2009 04:42 PM

suunto> how much volume in potatoes could I expect to get from a 4 x 8 raised bed? And what else can be planted with a root crop so I wouldn't need to be weeding all the time? Biig> New Potatoes! That's it. That's what I was thinking. So what variety would I pick?