Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Vegetables other than tomatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/)
-   -   Potatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/3891-potatoes.html)

biigblueyes 10-28-2009 10:19 AM

Which potatoes did exceptionally well for you this year?

suunto 10-28-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 46582)
Which potatoes did exceptionally well for you this year?

The best yielders this year were the Caribes, Carolas, and All Reds. Looking back on prior seasons, Caribes usually have been the most consistent in this regard.

biigblueyes 10-28-2009 12:33 PM

The caribes are purple-skinned, right?

suunto 10-28-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 46613)
The caribes are purple-skinned, right?

That's correct; the inside is brilliant white, they make the best whipped/mashed potatoes of any variety we've tried.

biigblueyes 10-28-2009 09:07 PM

I think I need to give Caribe a whirl. I saw that they don't store well, to eat them first.:D

Equilibrium 10-28-2009 10:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the photos. Thanks suunto> I will choose the Caribe and can order it from one of your two sources. I noticed it didn't store well from biig. We make latkes every once in a while but other than that we're not big on mashed potatoes. We do use potatoes with corned beef and cabbage and in some other meals. I'll going for the Caribe but what would be a second choice for a potato that stores better for me to use in casseroles and side dishes? Maybe one that would multi task as a new potato for cold salads? I would prefer an heirloom potato. THBFarm> I'm going to go for it. I've never been a veggie head but that's the direction I'm going. I seem to be having mini disasters with my veggies and gourds. Either my husband doesn't recognize them and whacks them with a weed whacker... the deer get them... the rabbits get them... the rains drown them... and then the final blow was when the weather turned bitter a month prematurely which knocked out my two kale plants and my ability to create some raised beds this growing season. It's been a long time since I've seen three hard frosts and snow in October. My asparagus, tomatoes, and peppers were the only successes I had. Depressing, eh? Which brings me back to suunto> I lost my window of opportunity to get them in the ground this fall when summer turned to winter in like about one week then turned back to fall. I can still order and wait to plant next spring can't I?

adding, where does everyone store their potatoes after they dig them up? A cool garage? A basement? Sorry, I've never grown potatoes before. I always bought what I needed and stored them in the crisper.

suunto 10-29-2009 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilibrium (Post 46672)
I'll going for the Caribe but what would be a second choice for a potato that stores better for me to use in casseroles and side dishes? Maybe one that would multi task as a new potato for cold salads? I would prefer an heirloom potato.

Try one of the yellows like Carola, Valisa, or German Butterball; if you're adventurous, try Royal Burgundy - some people find the blue flesh off-putting, but the flavor is great, and they hold up well in stews and the like.

Quote:

Which brings me back to suunto> I lost my window of opportunity to get them in the ground this fall when summer turned to winter in like about one week then turned back to fall. I can still order and wait to plant next spring can't I?
???Not sure what you are referring to here - if it's potatoes, I usually plant these in the early spring; asparagus crowns can be planted either in the autumn or spring.

Quote:

adding, where does everyone store their potatoes after they dig them up? A cool garage? A basement? Sorry, I've never grown potatoes before. I always bought what I needed and stored them in the crisper.
Potatoes need to be kept cool (but not freezing!) and dark, with enough humidity to keep them from shriveling. I keep mine buried in the garden during the winter; others may bury an old freezer/refrigerator in the ground and use that. A cool basement should work as well, as long as the potatoes can be kept dark. You might try placing them in large (5 gallons or so) buckets and covering with some loose soil. One thing to watch out for is mice/voles; they love to chew into potatoes. I once had the bright idea of 'insulating' my potatoes with straw before covering them with dirt; I inadvertently created a mouse hotel/restaurant! What a mess...:yuck

Equilibrium 10-31-2009 08:32 PM

Good. Good and Great. The Royal Burgundy sounds the best for the taste. So what if there's chunks of blue in a stew. I am on a waiting list for the length of boards I need to buy to create some raised beds and to follow through with this project, http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for...-garden-5.html. It's frustrating being on a waiting list because I don't need 100 of the longer length boards to use around the house. 100 is the minimum order. Our ground can freeze to 42". I wouldn't be able to store potatoes in the ground like you do.... unless I wanted to remove snow and use a pick ax to get at them.

biigblueyes 10-31-2009 09:02 PM

Stew with blue potatoes would be perfect for Halloween. And maybe some of those red carrots too.

suunto 11-01-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biigblueyes (Post 47314)
Stew with blue potatoes would be perfect for Halloween. And maybe some of those red carrots too.

I once made a red, white, and blue potato salad for a Fourth of July picnic...:D