Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
WG Facilitator

Default Working on fall veggie garden

It's time to start the fall garden here. I have a few brussel sprouts and brocoverde (green cauliflower) that look good, and flats of broccoli, cabbage and mustard that came up thick and I should re-pot. I cheated and bought a 9-pack of broccoli and put that in the ground already. heeheehee

I was just about to self-destruct here for a while. We had 3 mowers, 2 tillers, a chainsaw, and a tractor that weren't working. I can't deeeeeeeal with this! One mower is up and running and wheels and tires for the tractor came in today! I should be able to start plowing for a community garden in our extra lot by next weekend. (pout - if tomorrow wasn't opening day of teal season, I'd have it tomorrow.)

I planted 4 trees today in the rain. Some native seedlings I had gotten bareroot and planted in 3 gallon pots. Chickasaw plum, mayhaw and pecan.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

Say whaaaaaaat. Am I supposed to be doing something> You're kidding right. There is no way broccoli would make it over winter here. Cabbage wouldn't stand a shot either. Asparagus and strawberries will make it here. What is teal season? Now the trees you planted might stand a shot of making it here. No way to the broccoli and cabbage.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
WG Guardian Spirit

Cabbage will grow, slowly, over most or all of the winter here, as well. Collard greens do better. I'm going to try out kale, too.

Dogs will be a bigger risk to mine than weather. That, or I plant outside the fence and feed deer.
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
WG Facilitator

Teal is a small duck. There's a special teal-only season in September here, and then they have to wait until November for the regular waterfowl season. A lot of people claim that teal is the best tasting duck . . . . I think they're just so excited that they can finally hunt SOMETHING.

Most years we only get 2 or 3 days that dip to freezing. If it's one of those rare years where it stays there for 2 or 3 days all day, then everything dies, even some of the well-established citrus. Usually, though, we'll have a light frost for a few mornings, then it warms up again and the brassicas do just fine. As long as it only dips to freezing for the night then warms up the next day, the folks that plan well can have veggies year around. I'm trying very hard to get to that point. Have never done it yet.

I have actually had a hot pepper plant survive the entire winter without special attention once. It was under a tree and the frost never got on the leaves.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

You got me. I had veggies on the brain and I was thinking teal was some variety of broccoli or cabbage. There are some ornamental cabbages available.

Tags
fall, garden, veggie, working