Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 06:46 AM   #11
WG Facilitator

Certified Naturally Grown in Ky Cherokee heirloom garlic
Bobbett's -- Naturally Grown Produce - LocalHarvest

Granny's Heirloom Seeds in MO
Grannys Heirloom Seeds - Garlic Bulbs/ Cloves

In Wisconsin
We grow great garlic in Wisconsin*
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
Unicellular Fungi

Thank you very kindly biigblueyes.

The Wisconsin grower's site is amazing.

I have no experience with garlic. Which three would be your top picks for a home grower? Is garlic able to be grown in a container?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
WG Facilitator

It looks like garlic should do well in containers or raised beds - they like well-drained soil. Here's a video showing how to plant them in containers. He recommends you use a container at least 10 inches deep.

Planting Garlic in Containers - MonkeySee

We always used one kind of garlic that was handed down in the family. If I buy some (instead of asking the ex to share) I'll get a variety pack and see which ones I like the best.

I think "hardneck" varieties do well in the north.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

What's a hardneck variety???
Old 09-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #15
WG Facilitator

Growing Garlic in Minnesota

Hardneck varieties produce a flower stalk while soft neck varieties do not. . . characteristics can vary tremendously from one location to another. . . Climate can have a significant impact on garlic flower stalk formation as well as garlic taste. For example, a variety may be considered a softneck in one location, but in other locations it may produce a flower stalk. It is best to try out several different varieties/selections for a few years and select those that do best in your area.

Hardneck varieties (Allium sativum var. ophioscorodon) produce a flower stalk, or, technically, a scape, and are often termed "topsetting" or "bolting" varieties. The assumption is that they are most closely related to wild garlic. Flowers, if they are produced, usually abort and form "bulbils" instead. These are small, aerial cloves that have the same genetic make-up as the mother plant. They can be used for propagation, but the bulbs that are formed from bulbils are usually small the first year after planting. Two or three years are required before marketable bulbs are produced from bulbils. They are, however, an economical way to increase seed stock. Typically, hardneck garlic varieties have four to 12 cloves surrounding the flower stalk. Because of the hard flower stalk, they are difficult to braid. Another disadvantage is that some hardneck varieties do not store well and may either start to form roots or start to dry out within a few months after harvest. Typical hardneck varieties are: "Rocambole", "Purple Stripe," "Glazed Purple Stripe", "Marbled Purple Stripe", and "Porcelain". Other unique varieties that often produce a scape are "Asiatic", "Creole", and "Turban".

Softneck varieties (Allium sativum var. sativum ) do not produce a seed stalk. These are among the varieties that are commonly used in California for commercial mass production. There are, however, some softneck varieties that are suitable for cold climates. Softneck varieties are considered to be the most domesticated varieties due to minimal flower stalk and bulbil production. They are generally more productive than hardnecks because all the energy goes to producing a bulb rather than a bulb and flower stalk. In cold climates, however, hardneck varieties can be just as productive as or more productive than softneck varieties.In some softneck varieties a partial flower stalk may be produced and bulbils will form directly above the bulb. This will often occur in Artichoke varieties following winters with poor snow cover and below average temperatures. Each bulb of a softneck variety generally contains between 10 to 40 cloves arranged in multiple layers somewhat like an artichoke. Softneck garlic generally has a much longer shelf life than hardneck garlic and typically can be stored for six to eight months without significant deterioration. They also are easy to braid. Typical softneck varieties are "Artichoke" and "Silverskin".

Last edited by biigblueyes; 09-02-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spacing
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 AM   #16
WG Facilitator

The flavor of hardneck is claimed to be superior without so much heat. Softneck store longer, up to a year. If you want to braid, go with softneck. If you want the cool curvy flower scapes like havalotta has, go with hardneck. Hardneck are recommended for cooler climates, softneck for mild, but "try some of each the first year or 2" keeps coming up.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:06 AM   #17
Official Plant Nerd

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #18
Too Wild To Garden

Thanks for the idea! I just ordered garlic for my hubby. It'll be a surprise.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #19
WG Facilitator

Happy hubby, and no vampires either. What a deal!
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
Unicellular Fungi

My garlic is going to have to wait until next year.

I have so much on my plate this year.

I would like to know who has had success growing it in containers. I do have numerous 10" containers.

Tags
garlic, order, planting, time