Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Micro-greens?

I was thumbing through some garden catalogues, when I came to some pages about micro-greens. This intrigued me--especially the carrots, I had no idea the greens were edible. I especially like the idea of combining the shoots of kohlrabi, carrots, and celery along with some other mild greens. I think that I would enjoy the flavor combinations.

Has anyone else tried this?

Micro-greens?-20170216_162131.jpg

Micro-greens?-20170216_162200.jpg

Micro-greens?-20170216_162417.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I was thumbing through some garden catalogues, when I came to some pages about micro-greens. This intrigued me--especially the carrots, I had no idea the greens were edible. I especially like the idea of combining the shoots of kohlrabi, carrots, and celery along with some other mild greens. I think that I would enjoy the flavor combinations.

Has anyone else tried this?

Attachment 44668

Attachment 44669

Attachment 44670
We eat a lot of greens around here...but I always thought carrot tops (greens) were not edible. Maybe they are okay as micro-greens but not when mature? I haven't planted a veggie garden in a few years but, when I did, I loved the "thinnings" from the lettuce, spinach and kale. I'd pick them, wash them and eat them immediately. YUM!!! I've also tried sunflower seed sprouts. Very good.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
We eat a lot of greens around here...but I always thought carrot tops (greens) were not edible. Maybe they are okay as micro-greens but not when mature? I haven't planted a veggie garden in a few years but, when I did, I loved the "thinnings" from the lettuce, spinach and kale. I'd pick them, wash them and eat them immediately. YUM!!! I've also tried sunflower seed sprouts. Very good.
Yes, You Can Eat Carrot Tops. No, They're Not Poisonous! ? Ingredient Intelligence | Kitchn

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Sunflower seed sprouts were featured a couple pages beyond this. I wanna try them too.

They also listed popcorn seedlings!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-16-2017, 10:20 PM   #5

Thank you for the link, Jack.

It sounds too me that the fresh, young leaves might not be bad...they mentioned a bitter taste, but, I'm hoping that is for the older leaves.

I guess I could even let the tops of carrots resprout and give them a taste.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
Hippie Gardener

Thanks for the link, Jack! I never knew. I might not like the bitter taste of the tops, but I'll for sure toss them into the pot next time I make veggie stock. I'll at least taste a pinch or two next time I buy them with tops attached. Who knows? Maybe I'll like 'em!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Jack! I never knew. I might not like the bitter taste of the tops, but I'll for sure toss them into the pot next time I make veggie stock. I'll at least taste a pinch or two next time I buy them with tops attached. Who knows? Maybe I'll like 'em!
I suspect young, fresh leaves would taste better than full grown leaves.

Tags
microgreens