Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Vegetables other than tomatoes (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/)
-   -   grow your own veggies, tell us about yours (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/vegetables-other-than-tomatoes/13047-grow-your-own-veggies-tell-us-about-yours.html)

wildwatcher 05-02-2016 08:33 PM

grow your own veggies, tell us about yours

5 Attachment(s)
My veggie garden takes up probably more than 50% of my wildlife gardening, so I thought I would invite everyone to supply pixs & processes & other descriptions involved in their veggie gardens.

I always get excited when comparing pix of the garden area as it grows & changes. I think I planted seed at the end of march. I planted the lettuce kind of thick, usually about 3 seeds in a spot, and then about every 6 inches or so. Well of course, every seed came up, and it need to be thinned. Not to waste any seed, nor little seedling, I simply thinned the original row, and transplanted the seedlings about a foot away, making it now a double row of romaine lettuce. You can probably see the single row of bok choi, that is yet to be thinned, but I'll do the same to it, making it a double row also. hahaAttachment 43871

And this pix is around 4-28 Attachment 43872 and the double rows of bok choi (to the left) then romaine (with mushrooms crowding it) and spinach (to the far right) are doing OK, I've lost a few along the way...bugs & probably a little too rough on the transplant disturbance. I didn't thin the spinach in any way, just direct seed spacing about every 10" or so.

So this pix is from yesterday, and it shows the mushrooms have faded quickly, and the romaine shows to be thick where I didn't thin it, some of the bok choi is doing OK, bugs are eating it tho, and there was some transplant disturbance loss.Attachment 43873

Here is the spinach it was sown around the end of march. Now it is looking very nice I think, bugs not much of a problem yet. The weather has not been very hot yet, so all seems well.Attachment 43874

Potato transplants got put into this double row, most are red, but there is some white potatoes in there too. I 'started' the potato peelings I threw in the garden last fall, and let them overwinter where the romaine, & bok choi is presently growing. But when they started sprouting up, I dug them up when I could see them, and moved into this double row. Some of the leaves froze early in march, but they seem to have come back from that damage.:hiAttachment 43875

wildwatcher

wildwatcher 05-02-2016 08:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've also got some garlic & shallots growing in the funniest place, just at the drip line of a heavy shade dogwood...they grew well here last year, and I see no reason to move them, what the heck I'll leave them here again this year. (we really don't use garlic for much except as plant spray):crazy1 Attachment 43876Hard to tell, but there to the right of the wild looking shallots, I put in a bunch of wild onions just last week...maybe those will show off next year perhaps.

Here is a pile of wild blackberry, blooming nicely, hopefully I'll get some mulchy-compost spread around them tomorrow to boost the crop this year.Attachment 43877

ww

havalotta 05-03-2016 09:36 PM

Woe is me. Nothing to write home about yet....
Most of my veggies are still in the packets awaiting their planting.
Have a few tomatoes, squash, peppers etc seedlings started in the house but nothing outdoors yet.

I'm just about finished with spring clean up. One more row and all of last years growth will be hand tilled into the veggie to be bed.
By June, it will be partially decomposed and ready for planting into. I suppose you'll be planting round two by then.

dapjwy 05-08-2016 08:39 PM

I harvested my asparagus--twice...and they are ready for another harvest.

Other than that, which didn't require much from me, I'm not doing very well in the vegetable garden arena. I did plant a couple of vegetable seeds inside that should be ready to get hardened up--but the garden itself isn't really ready for them. :(

dapjwy 05-08-2016 08:43 PM

I know you are a good bit south of me, wild watcher, but I'm jealous of your vegetable garden and how far along it is! :)

wildwatcher 05-09-2016 02:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Well dapjwy, don't be bothered too much about my earliness, heck I haven't dared put out a tomato plant yet, this is just the cool weather stuff. I'm sure warm weather is headed your way soon, and the reason I can tell is because the watermelon seed I planted over a week ago, is just today decided to burst out of the ground.:wave

baby watermelon (red-big stripe)sproutAttachment 43891

this is my 'little patch'...tis full-on hugelbed yanno, hopefully I won't have to step back in here till the melons are big, lots of wood in there, but lots of dirt too, and seems to be good rich dirt now!! So I'm looking forward to this-- for well over a year now.Attachment 43892

My bok choi is blooming which is usually frowned upon in spinach and lettuce, but those white stems look kind of tasty. hahahaAttachment 43893

ww

dapjwy 05-13-2016 07:35 AM

Looking good, ww. :)

I should have more cold weather crops in...but I have been focused on preparing my meadow for sowing. The native restoration projects always seem to take precedence.

I have onion sets that still are not in the ground--shame on me. Also, we bought a six pack of Brussels sprouts seedlings that are probably getting root bound as they wait to be planted.

Oh well...I think it is time for my husband to take over the vegetable gardening and let me do my native thing. :) (Too bad he keeps himself too busy with other obligations.)

I'm sure we'll have some kind of garden--we always do....just not a big, robust one full of variety that I always dream of.

Your Hugelkultur bed/soil looks great. Had I not let weeds and grass take over half of the garden, I think more stuff would be planted by now.

havalotta 05-13-2016 06:58 PM

The soils been ready for quite some time but tis I that is not ready to plant the cold hardy seeds just yet.

Still removing florals to sell at sale #3 tomorrow! Almost sold out twice already so may as well keep on removing and selling the extras!!!
Sure hope this storm peters out by then as I'm hoping to jump in and sell alongside the farmers market set for tomorrow morning.

wildwatcher 05-13-2016 08:35 PM

Hi dapjwy:hi, well those weeds can be beneficial to a compost pile, or just dig them out and let them lay, they make decent mulch...sometimes the trick is to get them before they get too big. (little oak trees is a common weed around here, I have them everywhere, including my garden spot, so...if I had picked up all the acorns last fall, that would have been easiest, and now they have leaves and are only about 4-5" in the ground, still somewhat easy to dig out, but if I let them go all summer...they get a lot deeper and stuck in there good enough that if I don't get 75% of the root, they will keep growing! So I guess I'm saying...get 'em while they are little) Oh and bytheway, weeds and stuff grew in the hugelbed last season, which the weed material added to build the 'thing'...it is going on it's 3rd year, just now, and that is why I planted watermelon. Because watermelon likes weeds of all types, for protection, shade & structure to grow upon, there again it should build up the area by fall with all the mass of biodegradable fodder. And I'm hoping to move my 'composting operations' to the huglebed area late in the fall this year.

Hi havalotta:hi, wishing you much success with your spring sale, I'm sure you will have no problem selling out and you will probably be wishing you had more product to sell.

I've already had a couple spinach salads and romaine too, and gave some away yesterday....so about a month & a half from sowing the seed.:happydance

ww

havalotta 05-14-2016 01:56 PM

Sale did ok considering it SNOWED three times!!!!
Not much, but the cold front put a real damper on people moving out and about today.
Tonight FROST is expected!

I'll keep on digging, thinning and selling while I can as once June rolls around......... people are pretty much filled up with what they want plant-wise as they hit the greenhouses etc. making their rounds doing chores.

dapjwy 05-15-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwatcher (Post 156089)
Hi dapjwy:hi, well those weeds can be beneficial to a compost pile, or just dig them out and let them lay, they make decent mulch...sometimes the trick is to get them before they get too big...

Smile. I hear ha... I know what I am *supposed to* do--I'm just not doing it! :(

It is getting a bit late for me to get them while they are still small..but with the rains we've been getting, it might still be easy enough.

I'm all for composting...but I do it the lazy man's way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildwatcher (Post 156089)
I've already had a couple spinach salads and romaine too, and gave some away yesterday....so about a month & a half from sowing the seed.:happydance

ww

Good for you! :)

I'm happy for you...and just a *little* jealous. :)

wildwatcher 05-15-2016 12:17 PM

oh well ...so much for bok choy

1 Attachment(s)
...mine bolted last week, and the base of the things never got thick, like the ones shown on the internet, it was just some free seed experiment.:hiAttachment 43929

But the romaine & spinach are doing well, I'll probably have to start harvesting it in earnest in a few more days.

I just planted some carrot seed next to the bok choy, again 'free seed' ...so maybe this year I'll get some carrots. Today I also thru in some 'chives' seed in a little spot over by wild onion spot...haha

ww

ps. see that shovel over there...and a little tree coming up, I think it is one of the paw paw seeds that sprouted (I collected a few last fall on my place), and...I planted some 'green pecans' in the same row, as soon as they fell off the tree last year (I collected them around town), and even tho they haven't broken the heavy mulch surface like the paw paw did, I did find 2 sprouting roots & stems! (with a little digging around)~~~~so I'm looking forward to these little trees, the squirrels got in there several times during the winter, and I'm hoping they didn't wreck too many of the pecans I planted last fall, but I know they got some of them.

wildwatcher 05-24-2016 11:10 PM

Well I gave away 10 bags of spinach...

...last week. And I think 5 more bags tomorrow, + 5 bags of romaine (a bag is a gallon zip bag).

Big rain this evening, high of 80F tomorrow 70 low.:) If my tomato seeds don't get with it pretty quick, I'll have to buy some plants I guess. Cucumbers are trying, first blooms today, and potatoes first bloomed today also.

I've tried a trick with my romaine lettuce last week,---now this might sound like 'plant torture'...but I took some long grass stems, and I tied each head--gathered up somewhat--, hoping the wind, and the varmits will quit breaking the side leaves off the plants...so far, it seems to be helping to stop side leaf breakage. Maybe I'll get those neat romaine heads like in the store big fat ones...only without the rubber band.:crazy1

Oh and my cute little paw paw seedling...somebody ate it.:blankstare

wwxx

jack 05-26-2016 08:33 AM

For the first time in many years I decided to buy plants rather than start them from seed. I had found that too often the plants came up at a time when I was busy and I didn't thin them as I should have, and at other times, weed seeds were sprouting at the same time as what I planted, and it was a chaotic mess.

With purchasing the plants already started, I find that I'm better able to space the plants as I like them to be, although the variety of plants are much more limited. This year I'm trying red sweet peppers once again, but this year I was able to get the plants into the ground and organically fertilized much earlier, so I'm hoping for more than the occasional late (very late) small, ripe pepper...

Also planted kale, red cabbage, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, swiss chard, basil, and parsley.

linrose 05-26-2016 10:57 AM

I love hearing about everyone's vegetable gardens, no such garden for us as we have no sun to speak of but I'm still planting herbs in pots to grow on the deck. Dill, parsley, lemon thyme, oregano and basil. Our farmer's market pretty much keeps us in veggies all season. We're still eating asparagus and spinach.