Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 05:06 AM   #1
Rock Star

Default Self reseeding vegetables and herbs

I am a really lazy, or shall we say overwhelmed gardener with little time, who likes to have an easy to care for garden that produces some edibles and herbs.

So far the kale I planted 10 years ago has self reseeded. Last year it was really hit with an over abundance of cabbage whites so I didn't have a early spring crop of kale this year for the first time in years. I have had a good supply of kale since the summer started but I probably should reseed soon.

Red oakleaf lettuce appeared on it's own this spring from last years crop and I let it go to seed.
I'll add some new compost and hope for a fall crop.
I think I'll cheat a little and actually sow some seeds soon also.

Hardneck garlic reseeds but I also had a really hard hit of some type of black aphids? last year that gave me a poor crop and some of the bulbs didn't cure well.

Green beans, I did get 1 vine that self seeded this year but the other 4 vines I found dried pods I overlooked on the vine last year and planted them in a pot.
I have been getting enough beans to pick for dinner every other day.

Cilantro came in early and has gone to seed and a few new plants are sprouting now. I think the very dry weather has delayed the new crop.

What do you have the seeds itself?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Rock Star

I did forget to mention chives.
These can seed a little too well but they are invaluable for early blooms that have in the past feed an early group of red admirals and painted ladies when nothing else was blooming.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:19 AM   #3
Heron

Dill, Pac Choi, Dandelion, Lambs Quarters, Garlic Chives
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Alternate POM Judge

Do you eat Lambs Quarters and dandelions rb? Even though they are not native I let them grow because wildlife like their seeds. I know some people eat their leaves. Cherry tomatoes reseed. My friend has been giving me hers all summer. I'm putting the ones that aren't edible in my veggie garden hoping they will grow.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:54 AM   #5
Heron

Yes, but probably less than I should.

Purslane, Yellow Wood Sorrel are pretty tasty.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Alternate POM Judge

I can't imagine that purslane would taste good because of the thick leaves. I looked it up and they said it was good. I think Lambs Quarters has a lot of nutrition.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
Grub

Apparently purslane is popular in lots of countries. I tried it once and it didn't do anything for me. Lambs quarter leaves are nice when young but I think they start getting sour if allowed to get too big.Bronze Fennel reseeds like crazy which is why I cut off all the flower seeds while the seeds are still unripe. Dill reseeds all over my yard, but the fennel is confied to one plant in one corner, since it if and dill cross-pollinate the result is a dill/fennel hybrid which is of no use. My regular chives don't seem to selfseed much, but my garlic chives self-seed all over the place. I have clumps along the back fence, and one clump in the herb garden around my wildlife pond which is not allowed to selfseed. Wild garlic is also wildly popular with bees, wasps and other pollinators. I even had a Locust Borer beetle on it last week. I'd like to know what the tiny little pollinators that swarm around it are. Are they bees?. They don't look like flies.They never land in one spot and stay there long enough for me to get a good look.

Each year I plant flat-leaf parsley and Dukat Dill seeds I purchase , but I didn't get around to the parsley this year, but have a lot of self-seeded plants from prior years.I also have tomato plants that selfseeded since I compost my household garbage, but the bin never gets hot enough to kill seeds. I got a real tasty grape tomato one year,

I have dandelions all over the place because I never dig up a dandelion unless it's in a really inconvenient space. In the damp cold days of March and April there'snothing like a nice bright dandelion to cheer things up.

An article I read once said that the only vegetables that should be allowed to selfseed are the heirloom type, since a lot of vegetables nowadays are hybrids which do't come true. Squash and cucumbers are particularly prone to this. I also have corn coming up thanks to that darn squirrel, probably the same one who when it's time to chew something hard to trim his teeth thinks"Hmmm, should I gnaw the deck railing or the bench on the front porch today?"
Arey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I like the idea of having a sustainable vegetable garden. I have noticed that my garlic will come up thickly where I let it go to seed.

I was thinking of suggesting asparagus...as a perennial vegetable--and, I have noticed some tiny ones coming up from seed (if you have female plants that make berries--if you have the all male variety, you will just end up with the perennial vegetable, but no new ones from seed).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #9
Alternate POM Judge

I have very few dandelions. I think the wildlife eats the seeds. The horses eat them in the pasture. I don't remove them unless they are interfering with a native plant. I like to see them bloom too Arey. It really cheers me up in late winter to see them bloom.

I forgot about asparagus. I think their orange berries are so pretty. I never get enough asparagus to eat even though I've had the plant for years. I find asparagus growing along my fence.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Salamander

We haven't eaten lamb's quarter in a while, but use the dandelion heads for making cookies. I just discovered the seeds of curly dock can be made into flour. Really good fiber from what I read. I want to collect seeds, but hope they are dry enough. We're raining like April and last night got another 1.75 inches in about an hour.

Yep, we have stray tomato plants here and there and some squash that is blooming. I do not know the variety as we haven't tried pumpkin in awhile. Oh and we got a stray cantaloupe, but I wouldn't call that reseeding. A boy threw a bad one into a garden last December and now we have the vines all over the place.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
herbs, reseeding, vegetables