Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #91
WG Facilitator

They're rotting. Not just getting discolorations. Soft, some spots caving in, one has holes in it.
Attached Thumbnails
My Gourd Seeds-img_4950.jpg   My Gourd Seeds-img_4951.jpg  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #92
Official Plant Nerd

Looks like your gourds are on their way to gourd heaven too. There's always next year for all of us...
Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #93
Unicellular Fungi

Not a very good year for gourds for all of you. I am so sorry.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #94
WG Facilitator

I'm still hoping to have some. The 5 I brought in are looking OK, and the plant still has some in various stages. I was just throwing it out there in case someone had advice on whether to leave them on the vine or bring the rest in when some start looking bad.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #95
Official Plant Nerd

I read up on these before I TRIED to grow them... back before every evil imaginable struck my plants... what I recall was it being better to leave them on the vines until the stems starting turning brown and drying out but to make sure they were brought in if there was going to be a frost, http://www.amishgourds.com/site/1278922/page/456714
Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #96
Salamander

I always left mine on the vine til the stems were brown, except for egg gourds that I wanted to green clean. Those I took a little early. Lost a few but most were ok. If you green clean, you get a nice evenly colored tan gourd. Great to woodburn on.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #97
Official Plant Nerd

I cry uncle. You got me. What is green clean? I think you better show me some photos too. I am totally lost. I do have a wood burning pen around this house... somewhere. Woodburning was always fun.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #98
Salamander

Green cleaning is when you take a green gourd, as nearly mature as you can get, then scrape the outer skin off til you have a completely tan gourd. I use either a butter knife or a potatoe peeler. Just go easy with the peeler, you don't want to cut into the gourd itself. Then you dry it. Wipe it with a weak bleach solution and set it someplace where there is good air circulation. Every 2 or 3 days, wipe it again with the bleach solution to keep the mold at bay. If it's a small gourd, it will dry in a couple of weeks and you'll have a beautiful evenly tan gourd.

In the photo, the egg gourd in the middle with the celtic braid is green cleaned, the one to the bottom right is not. See the difference? Just makes a really nice surface for woodburning.
Attached Thumbnails
My Gourd Seeds-072306-088-small.jpg  
Old 08-10-2009, 12:14 AM   #99
Official Plant Nerd

I had found one site that described the process, How to Dry Gourds. Drying the Gourds you grew.. They didn't show me the difference. I get it now. Thanks.

Tags
gourd, seeds