Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Here's some of the veggies I brought in this weekend...
Lookin' good, Lib! I really like he look of all four thumbnails right next to each other--very colorful.

I still have cabbage out there too...the ox heart variety formed heads, but the other heirloom cabbage that Jeff picked out looks like it is just starting to form heads--too late, I'd guess...and this was supposed to be an enormous headed cabbage.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Fox

Hey Equilibrium, I guess the 'weed free' is my personal force of habit, wayyyyy too much time on my hands. LOL My wife Destiny, she is good at pulling weeds, with a keen eye on anything vetch. She gets a little uptight with me this year about some of the weeds I allowed, like the chinese lanterns, & some big pokeweeds, and some other kind of thing as big as poke...but I left them in there with the caveat that my watermelons needed the shade, she just shook her head and quipped: 'do whatever you want, your going to do whatever you want anyway' while having to hunt for peas & peppers hiding within the poke branches :P

ww
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
ww>Thank you thank you thank you!!! I’m proud of me too because food gardening is a constant struggle against pest and pathogen…. if you ever meet me…. you’ll probably be surprised that I even have chickens and rabbits and grow food plants so that makes me double proud of me for going for it and sticking to it… so much trial and error and the learning curve often leaves me wanting to throw up my arms. FWIW…. I did great with eggplants this year but bombed out with beans. I rotate crops and didn’t have enough raised beds behind chicken wire to plant them in and the rabbits went to town on them.
--
I’ve never grown any head lettuce so I can’t answer your question. I do have a coupla thoughts though…. try flavorful leaf lettuces instead of iceberg head type lettuces and see if maybe Destiny doesn’t like the taste better. I know we do. Oh…. the 1st year I grew lettuce and spinach… it ALL bolted on me. Timing is everything no matter where we garden and it takes a while getting the timing down pat.
--
I have grown a few different varieties of cabbage and can tell you they don’t need to be trained and they’re not like some varieties of cauliflower requiring all the manual labor of tying outer leaves over the heads. The photos I took were of the cabbage I grew just as they grew. You can see some nibbling on the outer leaves but not a lot. I just tear those leaves off and pitch them on the veggie beds. Next spring there’s not much left of them.
--
Cabbage moths can be a big time problem. A lot of people use floating row covers. Me… I don’t…. I’ve got neighbor’s 3 little girls coming over to visit me…. I call them my “garden gifts” and they’re more fun than floating row covers!!! I give them $1 for every cabbage moth they net. In the beginning…. they ran around a lot netting nothing but once they got the hang of how to sneak up on them and net them and then how to stop them from getting out of the nets…. they’d get 2 or 3 a day. Me…. I kid you not…. I got 25 or 26 cabbage moths in 1 day alone just running around netting them while I was doing other things then feeding them to the chickens. They are incredibly destructive and it’s not just cabbage they chow down on so maybe buy yourself a cheap net and every time you can…. run around netting them…. go for it!!! I’m convinced the only reason I had such a good year is because I got out there early on and removed so many from the breeding population myself before the “garden gifts” took over cabbage moth duty.
--
I think splitting and bolting has more to do with the variety and when it’s planted out than anything else but maybe you better ask biig since I’m in the frigid north…. I bet she’d know what went wrong. Around me…. we plant out in mid April so I’m wondering if maybe you didn’t plant yours out early enough or conversely….. didn’t plant them out late enough for a fall crop? I’m thinking you should be able to plant out at least a good 2 months earlier than me and a good 2 months later than me for a fall harvest. Here’s what I planted… Brunswick is a 90 day “kraut” variety, Premium Late Flat Dutch is a 100 day excellent storage cabbage that can be used for anything and then there’s Shelton F1 that I bought that I’ve grown for 3 years now that performs well that tastes great with corned beef that tastes great in cole slaw that I can’t remember why I bought…. must have liked something I read at the seed site. All 3 of those varieties are for northern gardens though.
--
Now…. take a big bow yourself!!! In looking at your photos…. you need to be proud of YOU!!! Your zucchini looks fantastic…. your beans look a helluvalot better than mine did and your beds look a lot better maintained than mine were. You must be out there weeding all the time!!! I can’t believe how weed free your rows are!!!
Lib, do you have any pictures of you running around with the net chasing butterflies? I'd like to learn your technique!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
WG Facilitator

Wow, Lib! I remember when you were a newbie vegetable gardener - you're a pro now!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwatcher View Post
does the cabbage & iceburg lettuce just naturally grow into a firm round head or do ya train it or what?
WildWatcher,

Did you check out the Arkansas Ag Center? They have publications you can view online on individual veggies. Lettuce has its own pamphlet, and so does cabbage. If you go to the link for Year Round Gardening, it tells you what your average first and last frost date is.

Arkansas Home and Garden Publications

p.s. It looks like they recommend some of the same varieties as they do here in Louisiana. Butter crunch lettuce is the one that commercial hydroponic growers here in Louisiana grow.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #16
WG Facilitator

Up until today, I had green onions, basil, okra, green beans, sweet and hot peppers, sage, hibiscus pods and eggplant. We're getting our first frost tonight.

I've been out of town and was out there after dark with a flashlight trying to cover the peppers and tomatoes with greenhouse plastic. I guess I'll know tomorrow how well I did.

The winter crops are beautiful now that the heat is gone - cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli. The broccoli is almost ready to harvest, and a light frost should do them some good.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

We are still snow free here.
I shook the last of the apples off the tree. All I have left to harvest are the kohlrabi....Everything else is now inside.

Wildone....You might like to try the butter crunch lettuce. https://www.google.com/search?q=butt...w=1163&bih=826
It forms a somewhat loose head and is sweet and flavorful!

I harvested the beet greens (their leafy tops) as I usually do but instead of cooking them, I tried them as raw-fresh salad and LOVED it!
They're every bit as mild and similar in texture as the Spinach! She might like THOSE as a salad green. I sure did!

I first tried cooking and eating the kohlrabi leaves this year too and found they were quite good. I used to throw those into the compost pile!

I just love learning about which parts of the plants you can eat BESIDES the obvious.
Keep on tossing in the suggestions and I'll keep on trying...No sense throwing all that good food out.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

jack> no photos... sorry.... you'll just have to visualize the process. I can tell you I trip over things left in the lawn and get back up and go after them. They sure are destructive!!! the trick is in buying a deep fishing type net. Once you wham the net down to the ground on top of a cabbage moth... hold the handle down with 1 hand then with the other hand lift up the mesh so the moth can fly up trying to get away. Soon as they fly up farther into the net... use the hand you were holding the net down to the ground with and grab the mesh in the middle making a fist. The moth will be in there and then all you have to do is open up your fist enough to reach in with your other hand to grab the moth by the wings. I snip off the wings and feed them to my chickens.... waste not want not. Before we "perfected" the process.... we lost a lot of moths... that took off and made more moths.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #19
Rock Star

I have parsley left and tiny self seeded kale which will hopefully grow enough on the warmer days to provide a winter crop.
Most of the more mature kale has been devastated this year by cabbage moths and aphids.
Also very tiny parsley plantlets that never matured. ......and tons of green tomatoes.
What do I do with them?

Equil, next year I'll need to do something about the cabbage moths. Maybe nets are in my future. Do you squish them after capture?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #20
Fox

pawprint

>>> Bigg I've got that website marked on 'my favorites' now. Tytyty.

Both Bigg & Havalotta have suggested the ole standby 'butter crunch' which I love to eat, and have grown successfully before, and shall try butter crunch again next year. I just tried the iceburg variety for fun, thinking it should 'just grow' and be OK...the tall spikes of iceburg were kind of pretty, and really most of it was not too bitter to eat.

Oh well, some of us just haz to learn things the hard way. Next years new fun to grow... kolarobi, I've eaten some of that before and I really like it raw.

ww

Tags
gardens, left