Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Anyone growing spelt out there?

Well.... spelt isn't a vegetable but it's not a fruit or nut either so... I'm sticking this here since I guess we don't have anywhere to talk about grains!!
--
I grow some varieties of corn that can easily be dried and ground into cornmeal but…. check this out, How to Grow Spelt | Guide to Growing Spelt and this http://northerngraingrowers.org/wp-content/uploads/SPELT.pdf. And…. there are varieties that are hulless like ‘Maverick’!!! I think our growing season just might be long enough to try ‘Maverick’. I was reading the comments at this thread and there’s a woman talking about making her own focaccia bread from spelt, Good Grains: What Is Spelt? | The Kitchn. And…. if we were growing our own spelt…. we could grow it organically!!! Just little stumbling block…. the only place selling it is French’s, Seed Availability and it looks like they don’t sell small quantities for backyard hobbyists.

Adding something… I found an article at WiseGeek that has these articles in it about spelt,
What Is Spelt Bread?
What Is the Difference Between Spelt and Wheat?
What Is a Spelt Loaf?
What Are the Best Tips for Baking with Spelt?
What Is Spelt Cereal?
What Are Spelt Berries?
What Is Spelt Flour?
Veddy veddy interesting!!! I think I’ll try some next year!!!

Last edited by Equilibrium; 09-23-2013 at 03:13 PM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

That IS veddy interesting. Not me - I haven't grown any grains. Are you gonna give it a try?
Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I'd like to but.... I don't want to buy 50#. I only need about 1 lb... maybe 2 lbs tops. If I could just find 49 other people to split an order with me.....
Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I know someone on a Paleo diet and they apparently don't use grains of any kind, ever.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I'd like to but.... I don't want to buy 50#. I only need about 1 lb... maybe 2 lbs tops. If I could just find 49 other people to split an order with me.....
49 of your closest friends. . . Amazon has it in 1 & 5 pound packs, but you have to add shipping. . .
Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Fox

what about using the other 48# for your wildlife, yanno like a special treat for the birds and others. I'm sure if I had an extra sack of grain there is some varmit that would get a taste for it.

ww
Old 10-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

Good point - she makes suet for the birds. Maybe a batch with spelt would be a nice treat.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

There's spelt.... and then there's hulless spelt. So far.... the only hulless spelt I've been able to find that's been developed from traditional breeding programs is 'Maverick'. And.... bad news is the only place selling it is the place with the patent on it and they don't sell small quantities. I'd really like to try it but.... I'd need to buy the hulless variety because I don't have the equipment to deal with spelt that has a hull.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

I gotcha. I can't say I was familiar with spelt at all, and I certainly didn't know about hulless varieties. Veddy interesting!
Old 10-05-2013, 03:37 AM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

ww> pert near everything I grow is for the critters. Even though I was more interested in spelt for us.... to grind like we grind corn.... I still had it in the back of my head that I could grow it around the perimeter of the chicken coop. I was thinking the chickens might be able to reach through the chicken wire so they could have snacks. Yesterday I watched finches working my broccoli seed over. I'd let some broccoli bolt on purpose so I could collect seeds and.... the birds are beating me to the seed!!!
--
biig> I wasn't really familiar with it either so don't feel bad. I don't really have enough space to be playing with spelt. I was just sorta thinking I'd try a hulless variety just for the heck of it just like I tried quinoa.... which didn't work out too well for me. Here's what's involved in the process of dehulling.... if you're growing a variety that needs to be dehulled, Harvesting, threshing, winnowing, and dehulling backyard grains. It's more work than it's worth considering what we can buy it for by the pound already processed. I think most commercial growers use a combine.... I've read most are using an AC All Crop.... pretty expensive piece of equipment assuming you have a tractor and I don't have a barn where I could park either for the winter!!! They do have dehullers for "hobbyists" but.... even those machines are gonna cost around 5k used. There is a hulless barley out there too. It's not exactly hulless.... it's got a hull but it's so loose that it doesn't really need any special equipment to remove.

Tags
growing, spelt