Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Artichoke Pests

Artichoke
UC IPM
Other Aphids

UC IPM: UC Management Guidelines for Other Aphids on Artichoke
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Scientific names:
Green peach aphid: Myzus persicae
Black bean aphid: Aphis fabae
Pea aphid: Acyrtosiphon pisum

(Reviewed 1/07, updated 6/09)

In this Guideline:

Description of the pests
Damage
Management

Publication
Glossary

DESCRIPTION OF THE PESTS

Several species of aphids may be found on artichoke plants. These aphid species vary in color (from light green to black), size, and shape. All are soft-bodied insects. The most important aphid pest is the artichoke aphid, which is covered separately. Other aphids that may occur include green peach aphid, black bean aphid, and pea aphid. They form dense colonies on the undersides of artichoke leaflets and in some cases on the artichoke petioles. Winged aphids form under specific conditions of overcrowding or plant stress and disperse to other plants or fields...
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
WG Staff

Default Ants and Aphids

Ants and Aphids: Part III
by Carol on November 18, 2011
Urban Fig

UrbanFig: Ants & Aphids Part III Attacking My Artichoke Plant ? UrbanFig
excerpt from above:
Quote:
So after battling the ants and aphids for the past 4 months, Iíve finally lost the battle. My poor little artichoke just canít seem to fight them anymore. Despite laying down the Terro ant baits (which have helped), the ants are still crawling all over the artichoke day and night, bringing with them aphid eggs and facilitating the population explosion.

Once a plant has crossed a line, itís hard to bring it back. Iím going to start over with a new artichoke and see what happens. This time I will be vigilant to make sure that it is better nurtured, spraying it with worm tea every week or so, fertilizing it once per month and checking it several days per week to make sure the ants havenít moved in. I will also continue to set out the Terro baits to get the ant population under control.

Ants move in when a plant is in a weakened state. This artichoke has been...

Tags
artichoke, pests