Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #31
Rock Star

I've been somewhat negligent with the remaining vegetable plants after I lost so much. (actually I've let everything go and can only hope for winter so I can get a fresh start.)
Yesterday I noticed a few string beans on a trellis under some grape vine leaves and when I picked them I found 1 big fat cucumber! Fancy that.

dapjwy, I don't remember how to turn my avatar back, help!
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #32
Official Plant Nerd

I've been pulling in melons and squash to the point folk are sneaking away from me so they're not stuck leaving with a butternut or crookneck squash under their arm when they leave!!! I'm going to be pulling in the last of the tomatoes.... more corn, carrots, beets, kohlrabi, radishes, turnips, and real soon here.... more plums and pears... bushels of pears!!! Cabbage, brussel sprouts, more side shoots of broccoli and more cauliflower will be out there with my name on it by the end of the month. Celery should be ready to put up soon too and I can see I'm going to have eggplants coming out my rear. This has been the best year ever as far as yields for me. It's been absolutely incredible what I've been pulling out of these raised veggie beds. I have "arrived".... I'm closing in on being able to grow as well as my grandparents did!!! I'm going to attribute it to trialing a LOT of different veggies AND soundsgood's crushed egg shell potion and rabbit poops!!! We did have a pretty good year as far as temps and rain which helped since I didn't have to get out there to water as much as last year. Watering takes a loooooooooong time and sometimes.... you just can't get through it all.
--
willo> oh oh oh.... you do that from your profile.... I'm pretty expert at turning mine back!!! If you can't figure it out.... just private message the gremlin in the computer and he'll get rid of your garlic breath avatar!!!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #33
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
I've been somewhat negligent with the remaining vegetable...

Yesterday I noticed...1 big fat cucumber!
Me too...but I'm still getting zucchini.

...that reminds me, the other day, I thought I saw a tiny cucumber on my poorly producing plant. I'm going to have to go check it out. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
dapjwy, I don't remember how to turn my avatar back, help!
Hmm...click on the CONTROL PANEL button under the owl and to the right of the HOME button. Then look down the menu at the side until you see:
Your Control Panel
Your Profile
Edit Your Details
Edit Profile Picture <-- click on this one and then follow instructions...browse your photos, pick one, and upload it. Good luck!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harvesting