Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
Heron

Never thought of growing beets, but love them! So are they a container plant? I am going to need much info on to plant! Care, and harvest these . I love pickled beets!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Alternate POM Judge

You can plant them in the ground or a container doozer. Put some sand in the soil. They are cold tolerant and the seeds can be planted when it is still cold. Our normal planting time here is May. I am told I can plant beet seeds here in March.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #13
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
You can plant them in the ground or a container doozer. Put some sand in the soil. They are cold tolerant and the seeds can be planted when it is still cold. Our normal planting time here is May. I am told I can plant beet seeds here in March.
Oh man' this is awesome! Im making my whole yard a garden this year, well on the other side of the fence anyways so the chickens can not reach it. And im planting in many many containers! There is so much i need to know, where to get the dirt( bags cost me a fortune last year and did not grow any better then my own soil) thanks for the info on growing in the cold!
Doozerdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #14
Alternate POM Judge

That sounds really good doozer. Lots of vegetables for you! If you compost your chicken droppings I would think that might help the soil. When I want soil I always dig around my horses shelter. I need to help the water run around it instead of in it.

Tags
beets, grow, harvested