Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Cucumber problem/question

I've grown cucumbers for many years. This is my first year up here in MN growing. I've picked a few cucumbers that have a strange mid green color and texture that is different than regular cucumber flesh. Just seems gummy, when I search online I get stuff about gummy stems, but it doesn't say the fruit itself is odd. It seems to partially affect the fruit. I don't know if it because it is getting too much sun or the fruit is injured. Any info is appreciated.
maxanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Were they resting on the ground? Perhaps too moist? Rotting?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Were they resting on the ground? Perhaps too moist? Rotting?
One was sitting on the ground, but some were completely suspended, there were no signs of rot. The skin was perfect, the only way to see if it has this problem was to cut them up. It was like the fruit didn't develop properly. Just can't find any info on this problem. If it happens again I'll take pictures. Luckily this only happened to 2-3 cucumbers out of 15 so far.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #4

Could it be powdery mildew? I recall that setting cukes to rot.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Could it be powdery mildew? I recall that setting cukes to rot.
Hmmm.... I don't remember seeing any on my cucumbers, but I did have some on my zucchini plant for a short time... I'm going to have to inspect them closer.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Are you growing the exact same cucumber you've been growing before you moved to MN? I don't grow cucumbers and never have but.... 1 of my neighbors does grow them and he was complaining about the color of his not being that nice pickle green too and he said something about the flesh not being crisp to his liking last year so he was running em through a food processor and feeding em to his chickens so I didn't get any for salads last year. I'll have to give him a call but it turned out he'd bought an "improved" variety of the same cucumber he usually bought and I guess when he drove himself batty trying to get to the "root" of his problem he found out some of the never cucumber varieties were somewhat "lacking" in color and texture. If you're growing the exact same variety you've always been growing.... maybe you don't have good enough drainage>>>? Lack of good drainage can do what you described to zucchini.... which I do grow.... so maybe it's doing it to your cukes? Maybe you could work some sand and compost into the area before you try growing in it again next year?
--
I keep meaning to try cucumbers but.... I've been getting em for free so I just haven't gotten around to growing any. FWIW... around here... the upper midwest like where you're gardening now... the most popular cucumber variety seems to be something with the number 8 in the cultivar name. I know which ever variety it is.... it's the same cuke my mom grew because I recognized the name when I saw it on a seed pack at Home Dumpo.... I wish I could remember exactly which variety it is and I probably will.... right after I log off. My friends and a few neighbors grow that exact cuke so I can call them to get the name if you can't figure it out. We use it in salads and I know lots of folk pickle it too. Maybe the problem is you're just growing a variety that's not the best suited to where you live now? I hate these kinds of problems when they happen to me because it's like hunting for a needle in a haystack figuring out what's going wrong.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

Thanks for the info Equi! I think the cultivar was "Straight 8" I see those around as seeds and what not. I don't think it is drainage, the spot I put them on is on the side of a sandy hill, (didn't know how well drained it was till after I planted). I have to water every other morning just to keep them from wilting in the after noon. I did get a few more with the issue and they all were on the ground, so it could be the frequent watering is getting trapped under the ones on the ground and causing them to start a weird rot, not effecting the skin, just the flesh. So far every other one that has been hanging doesn't have the issue. The cultivars I'm growing are Straight 8 and burpless bush (pickles). I've had enough good cuckes to get 5 quarts of pickles so far. I think I'm just figuring that some will possibly rot on the ground.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #8

Seems you're not the only one with Cuke problems...Post #9 Benedictine

Old 07-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Maxamillion!!! 'Straight 8'.... that's it. Check your seed pack real carefully.... it could be an improved variety like what my neighbor accidentally bought and people are having problems with the "improved" hybrids. It does seem like you're watering waaaaaaay too much. Something's not right... maybe too much drainage... maybe that area needs a boatload of organic material added to it before you plant in it next year>>>? Could you uproot 1 of the plants with the off-color and off-flesh and inspect the roots for signs of any root pests>>>? Ya know.... cucumber beetles can do a number on the roots and the 1st generation should be emerging from the ground right about now.... maybe a little later since you're about 300 miles north and west of me. Just grasping at straws now since I haven't a clue what's doing in your cukes.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #10
Unicellular Fungi

Equi, yep, I didn't realize how much drainage I had in the plot I picked out. I added a bunch of "garden soil" when I tilled it. But due to the slope and the extremely sandy soil in that spot I can water in the AM and go out in the PM and stick my finger in the soil and it is bone dry up to 5 inches.

I did research and found out that I should have put in compost instead of garden soil, and also a much higher quantity. So next year I'll do exactly that. But I'm also going to expand my plot to a less drained area and plant my eggplant and peppers in the extremely drained area. Maybe I'll look for other crops that love sandy drained soil. I'm now actually down to watering every 3 days since the pumpkins and cucumbers have added to my mulch by giving me a massive ground cover, if I like it or not. I've never had luck with pumpkins in Louisiana, so I figured I'd just put a plant in my garden not expecting it to thrive. Once I boosted my watering it took off in a way I never imagined. All male flowers so far, still hoping for some female flowers soon.

I don't think that my cucumbers were "improved" but I don't know that for sure since my wife trashed my seed packs that were empty. Next year I'm doing a journal and stapling the packs, plant tags in there. Such a great idea from this community!

Tags
cucumber, problem or question