Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Maybe try mixing some sphagnum peat into the compost you're going to add to that area. I'm thinking that should provide some relief.... who wants to be out there watering 2x a day? Strawberries love sandy drained soil and so do sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes fill out like squash and pumpkin plants do and if you pick a bush variety.... they won't crawl all over and choke out anything else you plant in the area.
--
I'm thinking your wife and my husband musta been twins separated at birth. Since you don't have the seed pack.... just keep it in the back of your mind that there are "improved" varieties out there causing folk problems when you go to buy seeds next year.
--
I found a photo album in my house that's empty that I never used because right around the time I bought it.... I got my 1st digital camera. I'm going to use it for my seed packs like willo suggested....XOXOXOXO to willo for that "spouse" saver tip because I was about ready to bean Pillsbury over the head with a frying pan for pitching some empty seed packets that were laying on the kitchen counter. I need to find the time to sit down with it and start filling it.... I'm more than a little short on time these days because I had to temporarily rearrange my work schedule because of people taking vacations so starting that project has to go on my winter "to do" list.

Adding something.... Be brave!!!! Please... everyone.... add a photo to my contest… you’ve got about a week left!!! NEWS FLASH!!!! It’s a Burbentropy – Ruralentropy CONTEST!!!

Last edited by Equilibrium; 07-24-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: adding something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I'm already saving up for your second Burben contest you had mentioning starting up later on in the year.
Can't post Allllllllll me best now but I did add a few more to browse through.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

My neighbor took off for a wake and funeral with her husband and kids and left me tending her garden until she got back. She said I could take anything I wanted so it wouldn't go to waste. Since I'm not growing any cukes.... I snitched some cucumbers. They taste gummy.... just like you described. I didn't notice the color was off though. When she gets back... I'll ask her which variety she grew. She's a seed pack "keeper" so who knows.... maybe we'll be in luck. With so many people getting sucky cukes.... I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more going on. I tossed her cukes to my chickens.... they didn't seem to mind that they weren't crisp.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
WG Facilitator

My chickens love cucumbers. I slice them in big chunks, otherwise the goofy birds don't seem to know they're food. The cucs are the first thing they go for.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Maximillion> I dunno if you're interested or not but…. yesterday I stopped in at a GoodWill and picked up a few things for gardening. I scored a little photo album for .99¢. It’s a really old brag book so the slips are 3.5 x 5. They’re not even 4 x 6. I bought it because it’s never been used and it’s the perfect size for seed packs or little plant labels and well…. I was actually thinking of you when I picked it up. I slipped a few plant stakes in it when I got home and the smaller tags and labels fit well enough. Maybe it could help you keep track of what you’ve planted? I’d happily mail it to you. It’s a butt ugly purple but…. maybe that’s a good thing because your wife would recognize it as being yours and she’d know not to pitch it. Oh oh oh…. I’m getting good at drawing a skull and crossbones. It’d be fun decorating the cover for you with a permanent marker!!! I picked up another little brag book photo album for myself a week ago at a different GoodWill store. It was a baby brag book for a boy. It was a light blue and white gingham check and it had an appliquéd teddy bear on the cover that I ripped off. It’s got a skull and crossbones on the cover now. Actually….. you’re welcome to either little brag book. I could easily transfer the seed packs I put in the 1st mini photo album to the purple if you want the 1st 1 I bought.
--
biig> my chickens love everything and I do have to split things open for them like you do.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #16

Cukes here in this neck of the woods are finally maturing. Their taste and texture are just fine. I've been nibbling upon one every other day. I'm going to go out right now while I'm thinking of it to try out that cuke propagating trick I had heard of.

Cut the cuke off leaving about 1/8 of an inch of it still attached to the stem, slice the stem and 1/8" chunk into three parts and it's SUPPOSE to go on to produce THREE cukes. Time will tell!

Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #17

Cucumber problem/question-p1080850.jpg
Operation complete.
Cucumber problem/question-p1080851.jpg
Splitting into four parts would have been easier but I did as was stated, Into three

Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Maximillion> I dunno if you're interested or not but…. yesterday I stopped in at a GoodWill and picked up a few things for gardening. I scored a little photo album for .99¢. It’s a really old brag book so the slips are 3.5 x 5. They’re not even 4 x 6. I bought it because it’s never been used and it’s the perfect size for seed packs or little plant labels and well…. I was actually thinking of you when I picked it up. I slipped a few plant stakes in it when I got home and the smaller tags and labels fit well enough. Maybe it could help you keep track of what you’ve planted? I’d happily mail it to you. It’s a butt ugly purple but…. maybe that’s a good thing because your wife would recognize it as being yours and she’d know not to pitch it. Oh oh oh…. I’m getting good at drawing a skull and crossbones. It’d be fun decorating the cover for you with a permanent marker!!! I picked up another little brag book photo album for myself a week ago at a different GoodWill store. It was a baby brag book for a boy. It was a light blue and white gingham check and it had an appliquéd teddy bear on the cover that I ripped off. It’s got a skull and crossbones on the cover now. Actually….. you’re welcome to either little brag book. I could easily transfer the seed packs I put in the 1st mini photo album to the purple if you want the 1st 1 I bought.
--
biig> my chickens love everything and I do have to split things open for them like you do.
Thanks for the offer on that but, I already have a scrap book that I picked up. I just don't have anything I'm planting this year. Next year I'll be using it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with all the cucumbers I'm picking... I already have 5 quarts of pickles and tons of cucumbers for salads. Guess it is a good problem to have. It is making the wife popular at her work since she's also giving away bags full of them.
maxanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cucumber, problem or question