Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Anyone try growing anything new this year....

I mean something you've never tried before. I'm trying globe artichoke. I have never tried growing artichokes before so all advice would be appreciated. I forgot what variety I bought. I did save the seed pack so I can look it up if anyone's interested. I've got the artichoke seedlings in a bed by themselves because I looked at some photos online and was like in shock at the size these plants can attain in 1 season. They're HUGE towering plants.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Heron

Sunchokes for Me - that is new! They are coming up pretty good, and I have them all mulch with a thick layer of hay.
Pretty excited about them.

Oh and those purple potatoes.
The purple potato tops looks just like the red Pontiacs so far. All big and lush and green.

The Yukon yellows potatoes looks smaller, not as vigorous and a paler yellow. I have not noticed that before
Hmmm unless I messed up and forgot which row is which. Maybe the paler yellow potato tops are the purple potatoes.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

We are trying watermelon and cantaloupe--something I haven't tried in a while (if ever) and never with success.

I planted a variety of corn that is red in color...and one that looks like Indian corn, but is supposed to be sweet and edible--some of the seed is from a year or two ago...and I'm not sure which one doesn't seem to be coming up.

I'm also growing the purple and the red potatoes (red blush inside) that I mentioned before--I was supposed to plant sweet potatoes, but never got around to it--never really looked for a source, I guess.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Heron

I might as well not got around to planting sweet potatoes either - One little gray goose got into mine yesterday, and went down the rows clipping (not eating) the leaves.

I am just sick about it.

I still have some potato starts - and will transplants a few more - so-- Dapjwy it still is not to late,,, but the gray goose set them back-- darn her little hind end. I won't be getting in big giant ones.

I was out picking strawberries this morning and my son came out on the back porch and woke our dog up from her nap (hard on a dog keeping things in order night and day) The dog jumped up and started chasing all the geese away from the sidewalks and porch, and around the yard. My son yelled at our dog to stop, and I told him to never mind -- she can fill her mouth with their tail feathers and I would not lift a finger.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I hope you really like sunchokes liquid because they are almost impossible to eradicate once planted and will take over a garden. What do you plan to use them for?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I mean something you've never tried before. I'm trying globe artichoke.
I attended a seminar on school garden programs. Artichokes were strongly suggested, because it's one of the few food plants that you can plant a seed and obtain a harvest within the school year. Sure the kids would all love watermelon, but that doesn't make until the summer, when school's out.

I grew some last year, but I'm no artichoke connoisseur, and didn't
really know what to do with them. The common advise is to harvest before the scales start to separate from the head, when they're still compact.

They told us that if we didn't think we could get the kids to eat them, they would still love the huge purple fuzzy blooms
Old 06-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidambar View Post
I might as well not got around to planting sweet potatoes either - One little gray goose got into mine yesterday, and went down the rows clipping (not eating) the leaves.
Don't give up on them. If it's dry, give them a drink. Preferably with some type of fertilized water, or compost or manure tea if you do things organically.

Dry or wet, don't dig them up. If they have a good root system, they might make it.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I mean something you've never tried before.
Peaches. I never grew them because someone I knew had a yard full of them, and they were always tiny and covered with mold spots. I prefer to not spray poisons, and that usually means losing everything.

But I bought a few, and found out what to spray them with organically - as opposed to not spraying them with anything.

I only got 4 edible ones this year - they weren't really ripe, and they were small. But the taste was INCREDIBLE.

I'll try to start clones by planting the pruned twigs with rooting hormone, but if that doesn't work, I'll buy some more.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Heron

Biigblueeyes; Peaches around here is hit or miss. we may get peaches ever 10 years if the spring is right. To me it is not worth the effort. However; I get plenty of the small ornamental peaches. Even though there is a bore that likes to get in them. I spend the summer and even into the fall pouring motor oil on the trunk. Just a little bit more north, a mere 75 more mile the bore is not so bad. That is where we use to live and I use to have the weeping peach in my flower garden right outside the door. It smelled in the summer like peaches, and my daughter's boyfriend even though I had some kind peach candle or something going on. I even gathered them up one time and made peach butter out of them, they were so plentiful and made nice butter. But here the bore is so bad - it is a constant battle to keep them alive.

Linrose: Yes I heard they were hard to get rid of. Have you planted them, or eaten them? I paid, I thought, a rather high price for them too.

I planted them down in a nice little yard in front of our barn, we keep it mowed - I guess it might escape into the edge of the road. Are they really that hard to get rid of?
The place I planted them even has a fence around the area. I even mulched it with a thick layer of hay to keep the weeds down.
This year they are in nice straight rows , but in years to come I guess that will not be the case????

I don't know if we like to eat sun chokes or, or not. But it said it was good for not raising blood sugar and they look good on the internet as they chop them up in stir fry.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #10
WG Fundraising Coordinator

We had them in a garden in Vermont, way out of control. Beware of flatulence.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artichoke, cantaloupe, gardens, growing, indian corn, new plants, potatoes, purple, red potatoes, watermelon, year