Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
Official Plant Nerd

When I was home plugging and unplugging the pumps to our septic field.... my timing was just perfect for getting to the mulberries before the birds wiped us out. This year I pulled in about 10 quarts of mulberries. I can't believe I was actually home and could go out and beat the birds to the fruits!!! It's a 1st!!!
--
I'm beating the birds to the cherries this year too.... at least on the lower limbs. I know commercial operations shake the tree trunks then basically vacuum up the cherries but.... that's not an option for me. My fruit basket that I use to pick pears and apricots and apples and peaches doesn't work for cherries.... the cherries fall through the wire so I'm going to lose about half of what's on my trees which sucks but.... I still got at least 20 quarts of cherries which is the best year I've ever had so far and all because of when my days off fell and the float failing on the septic field!!! Who woulda "thunk" I'd be so lucky.
--
I can see my broccoli developing nicely. Looks like it's gonna be a great year for broccoli and cauliflower and probably brussel sprouts and cabbage too. I'll be dehydrating all of that. Well.... I'll probably use some fresh but with just the 2 of us here.... the rest can get put up.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
WG Facilitator

When we harvest mulberries and mayhaws we lay tarps, sheets and blankets around the tree and shake it. Then we pick up the corners of the sheet and pour them into a bucket or tub. Do you think that would work for the cherries?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #33
Official Plant Nerd

I think it could work if.... the cherry trees weren't inside the chicken runs protected from the deer. Deer like cherries too. Right now I've got drapes and all kinds of things over the chicken run that has the Freedom Rangers in it to keep them out of the sun. Cherries are falling on top and I've been bringing em in. The other cherry trees are inside the main chicken run and the whole top of that is laced with fishing line to deter the hawks from eating my chickens. I'm screwed.
--
The mulberry trees aren't inside a run. I have 3 of the native M. rubra so they're planted out front with my native persimmons, a pear, a native pecan... Carya illinoinensis, and an assortment of locally native trees... I dunno why I stuck the pear out there... it ruined the "look". I think the tarp idea could work for the mulberries though. They're much smaller trees than the cherries. I've been picking the ripe mulberries for a week or so. I notice they don't fall off in my hand. Does this mean I'm picking them too soon? They tasted sweet so I figured they were ripe but... maybe not? This is actually 1 of the 1st times I was around to beat the birds out to the mulberries.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:02 AM   #34
Fox

If you have an old fan with a wire cage surrounding the blade you might be able to reshape the cage and attach it to a pole to use as a cherry. Or if you have some old wire shelving with the proper spacing you might be able to attach a piece of that to your apple picker to make it work for cherries.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #35
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
My fruit basket that I use to pick pears and apricots and apples and peaches doesn't work for cherries.... the cherries fall through the wire...
Can you modify the basket for when you are picking cherries? Line it with the mesh that onions come in? Just a thought.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #36
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I have 3 of the native M. rubra so they're planted out front with my native persimmons, a pear, a native pecan... Carya illinoinensis, and an assortment of locally native trees... I dunno why I stuck the pear out there... it ruined the "look"...
I know exactly what you mean. That is why I was debating about growing apple trees...for me, they don't fit in with the natives.

Speaking of apples, I hate to say it, but the one I bought bit the dust. I'm not exactly sure why...It isn't like I'm a complete novice (though I haven't planted apple trees before). I thought maybe with the heat we had that they dried out, but I had stuck a small wild geranium in the pot with it and it wasn't even wilted. I know I'd kept it in the pot, but they are in pots at the nursery as well. I finally told Jeff about it yesterday--it was like a confession...but all he said was to call the nursery to see if they'll replace it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #37
Fox

pawprint yellow squash is doing well

I took this pix today, I'm pretty happy with the results so far.Harvest 2013-carbureator-009.jpg

I had to rake out all the mulch I had under these plants, as the bugs were eating the plants, they seem better now without the mulch. Now I have thyme & radishes located in there with the plants.Harvest 2013-carbureator-011.jpg

ww
Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #38
Fox

pawprint Sometimes I just water the driveway...for fun

These cucumber are also doing well, as I reported in another thread, I made this 'driveway swayle' thing, and on the outside edge of the rough rock driveway~~~ I put in a 'raised bed' of sorts! Which holds about 2' wide of good dirt, & 1' deep. The used RXR ties were supposed to be temporary 'forms'...LOL...but they seem to provide good support for the horizontal wood strips that the cucumber vines seem to like.Harvest 2013-carbureator-010.jpg

The cool thing about this set-up is, when I water the plants, I don't direct the water ON the plants but rather I water the rocks of the driveway, this seems to keep the dirt moisture level somewhat consistent, and the leaves seem healthier for not getting water directly on them.

weird game huh!

ww
Old 07-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #39
WG Facilitator

As good as your cucumbers look, you're playing the game right.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #40
Official Plant Nerd

The tines of the basket are too far apart for cherries.
--
Last week I put up 7 heads of broccoli. The 'Packman' came in strong this year but the other varieties of broccoli that I planted are developing well. I'm starting to harvest some squash and some zucchini. Kohlrabi will be next.
--
wildman> I LOVE how you're growing your cukes. I've never seen anyone do that before!!! You must not have many critters that "share" your veggies with you or you'd have fencing around your plants. Lucky you.

Tags
2013, fruits, garden, garden harvest, gardening, gardens, harvest, harvesting, herbs, vegetables