Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Heron

I think my garlic is ready to pull up too. I tried today but it looks like it is going to take a shovel and I was too busy to bother.
I did however pulled up those onions - not sure what they are called, but you plant them in the fall and they divide and make more and about this time of the year you pull them up to eat. They have a good flavor.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
I have been eating garlic scapes for a couple weeks now with kale stirfry.
I did get 1 nice fat garlic bulb so far and it's curing. I'm leaving some of the scapes on the hard neck garlic to flower and set seed incase I don't get around to plant a new crop this fall. I won't have large bulbs next year from those tiny bubils but it guarantees a crop down the line.
Sounds good. That might even get me to like kale.

I have a lot of garlic because I did just that, let planted the tiny bulbs. I'm hoping to do it every year to have a sustainable garlic crop.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidambar View Post
I did however pulled up those onions - not sure what they are called, but you plant them in the fall and they divide and make more and about this time of the year you pull them up to eat. They have a good flavor.
If you figure out what they are called, let me know...I love onions and "good flavor" intrigues me.

We planted some onions from seed this year--a first for me. They are from an heirloom seed catalog. I ordered two different varieties...and although they are still small, I was thinning them and tasted one of each raw. The flavor was incredible and very mild. Not sure if they will be that mild once they mature.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #24
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
...But you said it turned out nice--so, I'm assuming it tastes great; who cares if it sounds weird.

Try calling it "pumpkin butter"--that sounds a lot less weird to me.
It tasted great. I had already chopped it into small chunks when I read I was to have shredded itl As a result, it still has good texture. Not quite a crunch, but not all mush like most jams are. It has a good hint of ginger, which is nice.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #25
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by will-o-wisp View Post
I have been eating garlic scapes for a couple weeks now with kale stirfry.
That sounds yummy.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
Heron

I made pumpkin butter one year. The recipe a whole log of ginger -- Tablespoons. It was hot. I found out that ginger hot is not like pepper hot. Ginger's heat does not linger a second after it is out of your mouth.

I ended up taking the butter in the end and making my low carb oatmeal cookies with it. I was sorry when it was gone and not had the strength to make it since.

They are called potato onions. I did not get them in from the garden - just kind of threw them over to the edge. I will get them tomorrow and hang them up to dry. We will eat on them all summer and this fall I will plant them again. You can eat on them through the winter months too - well until Thanksgiving and it gets really cold. Of course if you are not careful you eat them all up before spring.

AOL Search

If you can't find any let me know and I will mail you some small bulbs. I am not sure that they are not really very common around farm stores in the fall though??? That is where I got my first ones - but not knowing any better ate them all the first year.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #27
WG Facilitator

If you search online, it may help to know that other names for potato onion are hill, mother and pregnant onion. Southern Seed Exposure carries them. Obviously, you'd rather get some locally if you can find them.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #28
Heron

Mulitplier too I - think is another name.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #29

Quote:

They are called potato onions. I did not get them in from the garden - just kind of threw them over to the edge. I will get them tomorrow and hang them up to dry. We will eat on them all summer and this fall I will plant them again. You can eat on them through the winter months too - well until Thanksgiving and it gets really cold. Of course if you are not careful you eat them all up before spring.

AOL Search

If you can't find any let me know and I will mail you some small bulbs. I am not sure that they are not really very common around farm stores in the fall though??? That is where I got my first ones - but not knowing any better ate them all the first year.
I'll look into them. From the little I read so far, they sound like something I'd like to try.

Thanks for the offer...if I don't find them, I may take you up on it.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
If you search online, it may help to know that other names for potato onion are hill, mother and pregnant onion. Southern Seed Exposure carries them. Obviously, you'd rather get some locally if you can find them.
Quote:
Mulitplier too I - think is another name.

Thanks.
Thanks. I'll look them up by those names to when I have the time...bed is calling me now.

I just hope it is not the kind my dad tried and didn't like...but I think that was called a walking onion or something. I was kind of young, but I still remember that.

Tags
2013, fruits, garden, garden harvest, gardening, gardens, harvest, harvesting, herbs, vegetables