Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #11
WG Fundraising Coordinator

liquid, what we had was a spearmint, Mentha cordifolia, I think it was the Kentucky Colonel variety. Yes we do live in the Pennyroyal (Pennyrile) region here also know as the Highland Rim on the Mississippian plateau.

Oh, no we don't grow catnip. We had that when we lived in Indiana, the previous owners fostered feral cats and it grew everywhere on the property. Not good.

Once those mints get hold they run by stolons and you are doomed.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidambar View Post
Come to think of it - is not oregano and sage a mint? Not sure about that?
Apparently so - this is from Wikipedia.

Quote:
The mints, taxonomically known as Lamiaceae or Labiatae, are a family of flowering plants.

The plants are frequently aromatic in all parts and include many widely used culinary herbs, such as basil, mint, rosemary, sage, savory, marjoram, oregano, hyssop, thyme, lavender, and perilla. Some are shrubs; trees, such as teak; or, rarely, vines.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #13
Heron

Oh I have hyssops too - forgot about that one. Now there is one that reseeds and tries to take over. It is up and doing well .

Yeap basil is one too and every year I have lemon basil, and it is either called Holy or Cinnamon basil too. Both comes up on their own too, but that is later in the summer. Oh yes; I have a great collection of mint.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Rock Star

Jealous here too to hear of the early harvests.
All I have is self sown kale and chives. I used the chive blossoms in a vegetable stir fry at the very end for a very oniony flavor.
I seem to have a sage just about to bloom also, one I purchased for the butterflies last year.
Cilantro also self seeded with a little help.
I try to remove most of the fennel since it is so aggressive and deep rooted but I already see eggs on the escapees so I'll live with them.
I have alot of parsley and dill this year as a fennel substitute for the black swallowtails.
Also I think I read not to plant dill with fennel ?
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidambar View Post
We have asparagus, and rhubarb to harvest.-(If I wanted it)...
I've harvested some of our asparagus a couple of times this spring...and I could have rhubarb, too, if I wanted it. The rhubarb was here when we moved in. So far, the only thing I think I may try to make with it (some day) is a rhubarb cobbler.

For now, I've been using the leaves to keep down weeds around the veggies I'm putting in. Jeff and I planted several varieties of vegetables earlier this year, and I am starting to plant them in the ground. The one bed is virtually weed free thanks to the layering I've been doing. So, after putting them in, I water, and cover the ground with a couple rhubarb leaves or one leaf with a hole ripped into it for the starter plant to grow through. So far, it seems to be working. My theory is it not only helps retain moisture, it also *may* discourage pests from eating the new pants--I figure they don't eat the rhubarb, and that might help disguise the veggies I wanna grow. (Maybe that should be in the Tips and Techniques thread...but, I guess I should make sure it works first.)
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I water, and cover the ground with a couple rhubarb leaves or one leaf with a hole ripped into it for the starter plant to grow through
That's a great idea. You don't have to worry about all those tiny leaves blowing away.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
That's a great idea. You don't have to worry about all those tiny leaves blowing away.
They are pretty huge and do stay in place. Since the leaves are poisonous anyway, anyone harvesting the rhubarb would have the leaves to use. I did however, put some of he stems/ribs down to hold them in place--considering we had 60 MPH winds the other day, I'm glad I did.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
WG Facilitator

I have a pumpkin vine producing several good-sized white pumpkins. I don't remember planting white pumpkins, so I'm not sure what variety it is. I cut one open, and it has white flesh, not orange, and it doesn't have a heavy pumpkin flavor. Soooooo, what to do with it.

I took half and made a pumpkin marmalade and it came out very nice! I think that's breakfast this morning. I have to admit. A pumpkin jam sandwich sounds weird.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
I have to admit. A pumpkin jam sandwich sounds weird.
...But you said it turned out nice--so, I'm assuming it tastes great; who cares if it sounds weird.

Try calling it "pumpkin butter"--that sounds a lot less weird to me.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
Rock Star

I have been eating garlic scapes for a couple weeks now with kale stirfry.
I did get 1 nice fat garlic bulb so far and it's curing. I'm leaving some of the scapes on the hard neck garlic to flower and set seed incase I don't get around to plant a new crop this fall. I won't have large bulbs next year from those tiny bubils but it guarantees a crop down the line.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, fruits, garden, garden harvest, gardening, gardens, harvest, harvesting, herbs, vegetables