Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Anyone know of Black Kabouli Garbanzo Bean is a bush or a vine?

I bought this and haven't grown it before. I was going to use it making hummus.... supposedly it's really tasty in Mediterranean dishes too. I'm finding very generic info on this plant.... basically... plant it as soon as the ground can be worked but that isn't happening because it just warmed up about 2 weeks ago so..... I'm gonna be a little late getting this in the ground. Better late than never but.... I don't know where to put it so if anyone knows whether this needs support or not... I'd love to know.

forgto to ask something.... how big do these plants get? The instructions said something about thinning them to 18". That's a lot of space in a row for a bean.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 05-08-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: forgot something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
Heron

I am sorry I have never grown chick peas.
But I would like to know your method of cooking dried chick peas and then getting them into hummus.
My way is tiring me out, and I am not sure I am doing it right..
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

Ohhh - looks yummy!

Bush! One site says 1 foot tall, 2 feet wide. The other says 12-18 inches wide, 18-24 tall. Sounds very different, but both confirm you plant them much farther apart than snaps.

Bean: Kabouli Black Garbanzo Overview - Plant Guide

Beans Black Kabouli Garbanzo Beans Unique by thegardenstudio
Old 05-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
Heron

Equil where did you buy these at?
Bigblueyes: thanks for pulling up that link. Those are really black! I had no idea they would be that dark. Never seen anything like them.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Sooo... they end up bushing out like a peanut plant. I'm ok with that!!!
--
Rinse em.... soak em over night.... drain the water... refill the pot with fresh water.... bring em to a boil then let em simmer unti you can easily stick a finger nail in them.... drain.... then process em in a food processor and add your other ingredients. If you want the "decent" tasting hummus.... you'll have to grow your own garbanzos though. Nothing the store offers canned or in a bag can make the hummus that screams of being "real" hummus.
--
They've got really "green" garbanzo beans too. I think the garbanzo beans that show up in cans on our grocery store shelves are tasteless. I'm pretty sure I bought those from Heirloom Seeds, www.heirloomseeds.com/. Either that or Baker's Creek, Heirloom Seeds | Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Heron

Better than those dried in a bag?
Well they sure don't offer green or black in a bag.

Do you mean they bush out or they go to ground like peanuts?

I don't even know how chick peas grow -ohhhh I have to get me some.

Equil do you ever feel over whelmed with all you do ?
Or does being over whelmed keep you heart from palpitating from more pressing thoughts?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Much better than the shriveled up beans we get in a bag!!! I meant bushy like a peanut plant but.... don't take my word for it because I've never grown this type of garbanzo bean before. The beans grow on the plant not underground like a peanut.
--
"Equil do you ever feel over whelmed with all you do ?" No not really because.... the older I get.... the more I learn it's ok to throw in the towel if things start going haywire. All my bee keeping "stuff" is still in my living room and I can tell you it won't get set up this year. I pushed off delivery of the bees I ordered and pre-paid for to next year. Ohhh.... and that native plant bed I created for pollinators out front.... that won't happen this year either. I'm debating whether to put tarps over it so weeds don't get a foot hold in there or planting it with left over veggie seeds. Decisions decisions. There's really no point starting anything I know I won't have time to do right. There's been so much going on since the holidays that.... my whole house looks like homeless people moved in with all their "stuff" and I really don't care... I'm only 1 person. It hasn't been vacuumed in a week.... my dining room looks like quilt central.... I'm behind on the laundry and... there's dirty dishes in the sink and potting mix on the kitchen floor from when I repotted some seedlings last Monday. It's hard to tell the potting mix is on the floor though since it rained and I've been letting the dogs in and out without wiping their muddy feet like I normally do. I'm taking off in a few hours. I won't be back until Sunday night so.... the muddy floors get left to my husband.... I'll be gone by the time he gets home. Ha ha ha... I'm sticking him with the grungy floors. There's plenty of food around here.... our toilets are all clean and the cabinets are well stocked with toilet paper... the animals have everything they need and I got all my veggie seeds started for this year on time so..... everything that's important is taken care of... the rest can get put off until I've got the time to deal with it!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
Heron

I think you are my mentor Equil.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
WG Facilitator

Had to re-read that - thought you said hubby stuck to the grungy floors. . .
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
Heron

Heee, heee, heeee, Bigblueyes thanks for the good chuckle. Oh yes Equil is my mentor I too think it is a great idea to stick hubby to grungy floor - this keeps them safe and in place till one returns home.

Tags
bean, bean plants, beans, black, black kabouli, bush, bush bean, garbanzo, grow, growing, humus, kabouli, variety, vine, vining