Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

View Poll Results: What kind of vegetable garden are you planning for this season?
Lasagna 0 0%
Traditional Row Garden 1 5.56%
Block Style (wide row) 3 16.67%
Container 1 5.56%
Raised Bed 5 27.78%
Community Plot 0 0%
Square Foot 1 5.56%
Straw Bale 0 0%
Combination of the above 4 22.22%
None of the above 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 AM   #21
Fox

pawprint those strong tops will eventually end up in the hugelthing!

Oh I agree, so far...smillllllllleeeeees I threw a lot of green garden debris in the hugelthing last year, also some gypsum wall board, and of course the deadest of the dead tree limbs, leaves, dirt, moss...the list is endless. Because I threw dirt/layered on my hugelpile, I'm able to grow stuff already (the beans are up), and my fingers are crossed for the future moisture retention this summer, but for this year, I'm not concerned much with actually bringing any plant to full term. So you think I should 'chop & drop' anything that comes up in it? I'm hoping the beans are to help fix nitrogen...should I let those beans mature, or chop & drop soon? Also...BTW, I'm expecting this above ground hugelthing to be 'snake heaven', the lizards are already out dancing along the periphery of sticks & limbs, and I know there is lots of places for critterzzzzzz to live in there.

Yanno I remember when you built your first hugelbed, near your waterfall/pond I think it was, yours was so organized as you built it...it literally had to work!

ww
Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oh no....Let em grow and collect your harvest.
When I mentioned cutting the tops off of things in the spring and trenching them in I was meaning all the dead dry stalks, stems and seedpods that I used to cut down in my fall clean up...I now delay "that" chore until early Spring as they provide feed and nesting material for the birds etc to use over Winter.

One thing I noticed was....
The bed is sooooooo rich (in nitrogen?) that whatever root crops I've grown in it seem to suffer. They tend to produce more leaves than roots and tubers....The carrots, beets, kohlrabis etc....so If you're wanting big and juicy you might want to think about planting those in a less goodie filled area. Anything with leaves really goes to town...Chard, lettuce spinach. Anything else, the gourds melons cukes tomatoes peppers broccolli etc.... do really well!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #23
Fox

Default my hugel reduced outdoor debris & burning to ~0~

OK, that's great info havalotta, I think I'm on the same page now. I too found some sad results with carrots for example, those root crops really must have a good foundation of dirt to build root structure. That is why I have lots of extra dirt piled up near my garden for this year, because really my soil is made from leaves & debris, it has taken me 3 years to get any 'extra dirt'.

And I know my hugelthing isn't ready for rootcrops...yet! I am hoping to throw some watermelon seeds in there this year, watermelon can grow well among all kinds of big weeds. I'm even going to throw some Poke, to grow in there, those grow huge roots in the roughest areas...which should be just right for my hugelthing even this year. I'm hoping within 3 years this hugelbed should be nearly all dirt. By that time I may even have a retaining wall built for it to keep the thing from going downhill.

I also have my eye on building another one this year, I want to try one 'in ground' to see if it behaves differently than the above ground model.

ww
Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #24
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Well, I just got my herb starts from our local organic farmer's market guy that I'll plant in containers. We'll have rosemary, dill, fennel, thyme and lemon thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, and Genovese basil. My old potted rosemary plant gave up the ghost this winter as did the years old lavender "tree" so both will be replaced. I've got to have my aromatics!

I thought about planting leafy greens and patio tomatoes in containers but our farmer's market supplies us twice a week with all we need in veggies. We have no sunny spots for a traditional garden and we have a big deck that gets sun so we use containers for herbs. Last year all the containers were full of flowers for my daughter's engagement party but now we're back with herbs. There are plenty of flowers to enjoy in the gardens.

Back when I had a vegetable garden we made wide beds that were hilled as high as our knees. We grew terrific root crops in those. They were no more than 2 ft x 4 ft so it was easy to access the crops. We used a lot of straw to mulch the paths between them. They were almost like tunnels! We threw compost, kitchen scraps, manure, etc. in the paths in the fall and turned them all over in the spring and added them to the tops of the hills. It really worked for us. I wish I had photos but that was years ago.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #25
Fox

pawprint Ohhhhhh good to know...

I can 'see' that type garden Linrose, and your example hasn't gone unnoticed. Yanno if you had another nic-name it might be 'Mrs. Diversity'!

ww
Old 04-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #26
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Thanks ww! I'll take that as a compliment! It seems like I've lived at least nine lives by now with all the different places I've lived and things I've done so "Mrs Diversity" seems pretty fitting!

Brought home organic asparagus, spinach and lettuce from the market today. Yum, fresh veggies! Got the parsley, rosemary, dill, lemon thyme, oregano and chive plants there too and they are now in big pots on the deck. Still haven't hooked up the hoses so I'm going old school with the watering can. Here's hoping we don't get another frost or freeze or I'm going to have to haul them in the house (and these are huge pots!) or cover them with something. It feels good to put on the gardening gloves, pick up a trowel and dig in the dirt again!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garden, kind, planning, season, vegetable