Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

View Poll Results: What kind of vegetable garden are you planning for this season?
Lasagna 0 0%
Traditional Row Garden 1 5.56%
Block Style (wide row) 3 16.67%
Container 1 5.56%
Raised Bed 5 27.78%
Community Plot 0 0%
Square Foot 1 5.56%
Straw Bale 0 0%
Combination of the above 4 22.22%
None of the above 3 16.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Alternate POM Judge

A few years ago I dumped straw and manure from the horse stalls where my veggie garden will be. The last few years my neighbor has dumped leaves from his yard there and they have decomposed. The soil is great for my veggie garden now. It is loaded with earthworms. The birds frequently pick through the leaf pile for worms and insects.

Horses love carrots. Not growing carrots this year. Just growing people veggies this year. I don't want to get overwhelmed.

Ideally you want to compost the straw and manure. We use the stuff in the manure pit that has been there a while and has gotten hot enough to kill the weed seeds.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #12
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Planning on doing some canning this year biigblue?
I do can, but I don't know how much time I'll have this year. The local community garden lost its lease and for the moment is going to be at my house. We're expanding the garden weekly, and it's a handful. We will most likely plant about 2 acres.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 AM   #13
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
I am going to have a vegetable garden for the first time in years. The beet seeds are planted. I'm adding green beans, zucchini, and spaghetti squash in May.
Good for you! Have fun with it.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
I do can, but I don't know how much time I'll have this year. The local community garden lost its lease and for the moment is going to be at my house. We're expanding the garden weekly, and it's a handful. We will most likely plant about 2 acres.
Oh my... You DO have your hands full.
Have you still the land where we had visited?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 PM   #15
Alternate POM Judge

Holy cow blueyes 2 acres! Let us know how it goes
Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #16

I'll be planting into my 8x8 hugulculture bed again. Now into it's third year or so.
Best thing I've ever put into my yard. It's so rich with decomposing matter, It hardly ever needs watering.

I just finished designing my vegetable garden (using this site Sites-Gardeners-Site )
I slid whatever veggies I intend to grow into the little squares. Now that I have a count on how many of each type I'll be needing, I can plant the starter pots. In a few days, I ought to be seeing the first of the little greens popping through the soil. With a 6 week start, they will be all set and ready (Once hardened off) to plant outdoors by June first.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 AM   #17
Rock Star

I need to get a new roof this year and the vegetable garden is clearly going to be in the way so I'm just going to plant pots of a few vegetables and maybe join a farm share at a nearby organic permaculture farm.

Usually I succumb to planting a few pots of small pansies (johnny-jump ups) at the edge of the vegetable/herb garden each year for instant spring and Fall color. After years of doing this and never having the pansies come back on their own I realized yesterday that most of the weeds in that gardens pathways are pansies this year! I think I'll just pot them up and put them in the 3 wire rimmed pot holders I received last year as a gift from the traveling wildlife gardeners.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #18

If I haven't a garden to plant into, it's the salad ingredients I miss,so I tend to plant the cukes, tomatoes, peppers, chives, chard, lettuce and such into pots. At least I can have a good salad and beyond.
What will you be planting?

Pansy runaways ha? I love the little fellas too but am very careful to pull any that are anywhere near the edge of the beds by the grass as once they leap...boy oh boy are they hard to control. I hope you get a hold on them before they make another leap.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:39 AM   #19
Fox

pawprint I guess I have a 'combination' garden...

What kind of vegetable garden are you planning for this season?-april2014-020.jpg...on the left you see a fairly large wide bed, thru the middle of that is a wicking ditch, which so far (nothing planted there yet) is working really well at keeping the dirt moist. Notice the splash of white plastic at the far end of the wickingbed area, the extra water that fills the wicking ditch pours off into the 1st year 'above ground hugelthing' (somewhat obscured from the blooming dogwood). I've already got some beans growing in the hugelthing, and hopes of some elephant ears. Under the dogwood I've got garlic, shallots, and arugala growing now.

The sugarsnap peas grow in the middle section, (luckily the slight freeze last few nights hasn't hurt them) I used a bunch of fresh strong tree tops, laced with some yarn to hold up those viney climbers.

The next area that has pots & stuff in it, is a 'working area' of good dirt, that I use in various areas. Just to the right of the dogwood is a long bed that have a good amount of shade, I'm hoping to get some lettuce to grow in there. All of these growing areas are somewhat 'above ground' as the clay gravel natural ground is not easily workable.

NOTpictured to the far right of the pathway, there is another wickingbed area, I've got some shanty peas, mustard, spinach, and dill growing there, with cucumbers and a few other things to end up in there this year.

ww
Old 04-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #20

Quote:
I used a bunch of fresh strong tree tops, laced with some yarn to hold up those viney climbers.
That was a good idea.
So last years project is already into it's first years use. It will be interesting to see how well it all works out for you. It should...It sounds like you added a lot of goodies and ingredients to it as you topped it all off. The hugulculture bed I had created is STILL going strong. As I snip tops off of things in the spring I still go the old route. I dig a trench at one end , fill it with the cuttings, bury it with the next row dug out, fill that one and so on. Anything added adds the nutrients needed. The decomposing wood beneath keeps it nice and moist to boot! I wouldn't go any other way if I were to make another bed now that I have tried gardening in layers like that.

Tags
garden, kind, planning, season, vegetable