Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equil, your invention for plant protection & anchoring with the J-hooks is genius!

I had a hard time trying to figure out what you were describing until you posted the photo. I am sooooooooo impressed. This type of of set up might also work well to protect seedlings against late spring frosts.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

And cutworms!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
Official Plant Nerd

Just an update.... so far so good. The majority of the eggplants appear to be protected by the anchored pots. It's raining cats and dogs out there right now or I'd go take a few photos!!!
--
4B> I do think the pots could help protect seedlings from an early frost.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
Official Plant Nerd

The anchored pots did the trick!!! No flea beetle damage whatso ever!!! I wish I'd remembered to take some photos of my eggplants before we got a few frosts but even so.... the limp leaves show enough that you can see there's zip nadda no flea beetle damage on them at all!!! Up until the 1st frost.... which eggplants don't tolerate real well even with some protection.... those leaves were lush and leafy green with with very little other than a little bit of slug chomping on 1 plant that had so many eggplants on it that it was bent over the pot and touching the ground. Incredible!!! I'm 1 very happy camper!!!
--
Now.... if I could just figure out a way to surround the bases of my grape plants.... I'd be an even happier camper!!! My grape vines were hit hard by the flea beetles.... real hard this year.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-img_3951.jpg   I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-img_3952.jpg  

Tags
ate, beetles, bettle, blow, containers, control pests, deal, egg plant, eggplant, eggplants, flea, garden, gardening, insect control, insects, pest control, pest control flea bettles, pests, prevent, prevention, swift, year