Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
Heron

Okay; you all sound like you "ALL" here on this thread are "ALL" serious about caring if your egg plants live and thrive and produce.

So, someone here has bound to have a good recipe that makes them worth growing?

I have gone through - some recipes - so far I have two family members putting that complain.

speaking of which;
I brought me up some zucchini chips from the freezer to snack on from last year-- and their eyes got all big -- thinking it was potato chips or something. They tried them and started making faces. I am tired of seeing screwed up faces -- How come I resent their opinions? What is wrong with me that it makes me mad?
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

Screwed up little faces, eh. Stop buying potato chips…. that’s what I did. I make dips they like and put them in the frig and that usually helps them unscrew their little faces when they can smother something they don’t care for in something they like. As far as eggplants go…. they can be dehydrated and they rehydrate well. They can be cubed before being dehydrated and make a really great breakfast when apple juice is poured over them. It’s sorta like eating puffed wheat cereal without the milk. I cube and dehydrate summer zucchini and we eat it for breakfast too or you can mix the 2. Tasty…. at least we think so. Here’s 2 recipes we use a lot when eggplant is in season, Eggplant Parmesan. Here’s amelanchier’s favorite eggplant recipe, https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=347703. We like eggplant as an appetizer too. That’s simple enough. You just slice the eggplant into ˝” rounds then dip them in butter and lay them out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle romano or parmesan cheese over the tops. Add stewed tomatoes then sprinkle with some Italian seasonings then top with generous amounts of shredded Colby or Cheddar cheese then shredded Munster or Monterey Jack cheeses… what ever you have on hand usually works then bake at 375F for about 45 minutes. People who hate eggplant will eat it that way and go back for 2nds.
--
Pssst.... I forgot to take photos and I could have last night because I got home early while the sun was still up....I totally forgot. If you bump this thread again over the weekend... I promise I'll go take some photos of the eggplant seedlings I stuck in the ground with their flea beetle guards.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
Heron

I don't buy chips -- that is why their eyes got all big about the zucchini chips. I admit though I did not think of putting out some type of salad dressing to put on them.
I did coat them with expensive coconut oil before I dehydrated them. I like them.

Yes I have tried the Italian pizza recipes in the past with eggplant, but I must remember the rule: a person has to have a something at least (?) I don't know 30 times before they accept it in their diet.
So thanks for your suggestions and the trouble you took to get the links. I will print them off.

I like the idea of dehydration -- That way I could sneak a few in soups and -- -- chili??? Maybe???

But it is iffey if I have any, so I may not have to worry.

Someone gave me the plants -- this year and not being one to turn down a plant -- I have them planted in the garden -- They have grown some, but they are struggling flea bitten little things right now.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

Eggplant can for sure be dehydrated and slipped in soups and casseroles and stir fries. I like the taste of it so I do slip it in anything I can slip it in.
--
Here's my photos!!! I remembered!!! Maybe plant your eggplants in a different location next year and try protecting them like I did? You can see spruce's aluminum thingamabobs in the photos holding down the plastic pots. We've had some pretty high winds and they're all still anchored well. So far.... no flea beetles and I'm seeing evidence that they're out there on my grapes.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-img_2658.jpg   I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-img_2659.jpg   I'm going to deal the flea beetles that ate my eggplants last year a swift blow....-img_2660.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Heron

I literally grew up with zucchini and egg plant in the summer for lunch.

So much better than hot dogs and hamburgers; When I ate them they made me groggy.

BTW Your corn and zucchini look good too!
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #16
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
We've had some pretty high winds and they're all still anchored well. So far.... no flea beetles and I'm seeing evidence that they're out there on my grapes.
You've been busy! Is that your new bed?
I'd watch the plants after putting the dark pots over them. I'm wondering how they will do because black draws so much heat in!
Do you remove the pots after a while?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #17
Heron

Those anchors look great.

I wonder if you did not have the anchors - if you could put small rocks around the edges.

Great pictures by the way.

I have these cloth Halloween lanterns that have a spring in them. I cut out holes in the bottom and put dirt around what is remaining of the bottom -- for a starter of tomato plants in the spring. I bet they would work.

I am going down to the lower garden -- and I will do that - except I have to get rid of the beetles first.

Sigh - always something eating on something.

I tilled my garden the other night and put the fence back up - thought my roll of tomato cages would be okay for one side of my fence.

Little gray goose found her way into the sweet potatoes. She does not eat them she just clips off all the leaves trying to pull them up -- She set them back from maturing.

She is the youngest, and a loner for none of the other geese likes her. Now I see why.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

That corn is doing good. You should see how well the other corn is doing that I side dressed with rabbit poops. Holy moly great balls of fire!!! Rabbit poops are good "stuff".
--
hava> that was my new butterfly and pollinator garden. There was no way I could deal with it this year sooooo. I tossed my left over seed in it and took some freebies from neighbors to fill it up. We can't get the riding lawn mower into the area because of the retaining blocks so better to toss in something than to let it sit collecting weeds.
--
liquid> I'm really happy with the anchors. They saved the day. hava's right.... the black does absorb heat but.... the rocks would absorb and radiate heat so I don't know if that's the best route to take.... those aluminum stakes spruce found were under $2 for 25 so I really think that's the better way to secure them. You will have to get rid of the flea beetles before you try what I'm trying.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Heron

I smashed a bunch with my fingers this evening. Will that be enough, or should I take some soap and water and give them a good bath?
Old 06-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #20
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
hava's right.... the black does absorb heat but.... the rocks would absorb and radiate heat so I don't know if that's the best route to take....
I wouldn't add the Rocks. They do absorb and radiate heat. Ever sit on a big rock or the sidewalk after the sun sets...It's still warm.
Are your plants wilting with the heat gathered? Perhaps you should start searching for and saving the white or yellow pots for next years trial.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, beetles, bettle, blow, containers, control pests, deal, egg plant, eggplant, eggplants, flea, garden, gardening, insect control, insects, pest control, pest control flea bettles, pests, prevent, prevention, swift, year