Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Did you know....

That there's something called a "long day" onion that needs 13+ hours of sun a day>>>? That means there must be short day onions. I had no clue. I bought a seed pack this morning just because it mentioned "long day" on the back. I figure I better find out which onions I'm planting are "long days" so I don't have onion flops. I did great with some onions last year.... not so great with others and I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't because I didn't know my onions and assumed 8 hours of sun would be plenty for every onion I planted. Here's a photo of the back of the seed pack I bought. Is there a list out there of onions that are "long day" onions so I can steer clear of them?
Attached Thumbnails
Did you know....-img_2371.jpg  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Yes, I did know that...but I only found out here on WG maybe last fall.

I have the same variety--and they are up and sprouted already!

Here is a list I just found after a quick internet search: Long Day Onions - Heirloom Seeds: Sustainable Seed Company
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #3

...and check this out, you and I (and many other members) are supposed to be planting long day onions:

Heirloom Onion Seeds - Heirloom, Untreated, Open Pollinated, Vegetable Seeds - Sustainable Seed Company
Quote:

Long Day Onions

Excellent keepers
Does very well in northern climates
When days lenthen to 14 hours, onion bulbs will begin to form
Lower water content than other organic onions, which is why they're good storage onions
I know it seems counter-intuitive.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
...and check this out, you and I (and many other members) are supposed to be planting long day onions:

Heirloom Onion Seeds - Heirloom, Untreated, Open Pollinated, Vegetable Seeds - Sustainable Seed Company

I know it seems counter-intuitive.
Ahhh ... but is it counter-intuitive?? The day length at the north pole in the summer is 24 hours. When the sun is at it's maximum northerly point (tropic of cancer; 23.5 degrees above the equator) the day length is only 12 hours at that location. [I think I'm beginning to hear Rod Serling talking over the musical theme of The Twilight Zone ... ]
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I haven't had time to research this.... I got called into work.... what a maze getting there since so many roads are shut down from the flooding too!!! I did talk to my Dad's girlfriend on the way in. She said it's a north south thing and that when she was a little girl in the 30's, she was taught only to plant long day onions because only the people in the south could plant short day onions. I was right in the middle of asking her why the seed pack said 13+ hours a day then and my phone went dead.... oopsie. I'll have to give her a call back sometime this weekend.
--
I'm sorta bummed about this. Now I'm going to have to scour the web before ordering onions again so I can figure out which 1s are the long day. That was the 1st pack of seeds I've ever seen even mentioning that an onion was a "long day" let alone giving the helpful tip about full sun plus requirements.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Fox

Johnny's Selected Seeds does a nice job of sorting out the onions for each area. They list the latitudes that are appropriate for each variety. They call it "Adaptation:"
Onions - Johnny's Selected Seeds
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
Ahhh ... but is it counter-intuitive?? The day length at the north pole in the summer is 24 hours. When the sun is at it's maximum northerly point (tropic of cancer; 23.5 degrees above the equator) the day length is only 12 hours at that location.
NEWisc, when you put it that way, it finally makes sense to me. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

These explanations did it for me, HowStuffWorks "Growing Onions" and Onion Types :: Gardening Fast Facts :: Weekend Gardener. It's the photoperiod! Long day literally referred to the length of day (slaps self up side of head).
Old 04-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #9

Yay! Glad you got it.

I hope to check out the links you provided...but right now I'm looking to respond about the Fuji pollinators--I'm already delayed for getting outside (then again, it will give it a chance to warm up some!).
Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhh.... where's that thread? I found some more info for you.

Tags
day, day length, day light, full sun, length, long day, long-day, mamimum, north, onion, onion seed, onions, organic, short day, short-day, south, summer, sun