Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Heron

We have a sure enough Texacannian who recently opened a farm store here in our neck of the woods. He is one great guy, absolutely love him. He has been doing business in Kentucky for a while running "Lone Stars and now he is running his own store:
We had been needing a good farm store for a long time!There have been some stores, but they all have ran on a shoe string. He is fully backed and fully stocked.
I noticed though that this spring he had OHHHH YMMMMM Texas Sweet Onions bulbs.
I got 'em and I hope they are the right kind for our area.

I am very excited about them.

My family loves those fried onions -the kind you put on top of Green beans with mushroom soup. Only they like it on everything. They are two dollars a bag too -- rather high. They are really good on Salads.

I hope to make some of them from my garden, instead of just dehydrating them this year. it looks simple. Dip in buttermilk and flour and fry.

I was thinking I would dip them in some kind of rice bran, or wheat bran. Make them somewhat more healthier.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> where's your Fuji apple thread?
--
Liquid> What are Texas Sweet Onions.... gotta link? I don't think you should be trying to dehydrate fried onions..... something about storing those is making me nervous. I think those should be fried up fresh then toasted in an over as we need them.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> where's your Fuji apple thread?

I don't think I had a thread for it; I just mentioned it in another thread....although, I may have created a thread a year ago, but your guess is as good as mine.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #14

Hmm...I just did a search for "Fuji" and found this: Apple "Orchard" Advice
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Heron

I was wanting to do this frying of onions
instead of dehydrating and then freezing "ALL" like I always do.

Texas Sweet Onion -- I always thought were the kind that were sold individual at "Save a Lot"
"Save a Lot" when it comes to onions has Wal Mart beat all to pieces.

But I also imagine that Texas Sweet Onions is not a northern Onion.

Still I am excited about the possibility they will do good.

History of the Sweet Texas Onions | Archives | Aggie Horticulture
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> what ever I'm thinking about was more recent than that thread. I think crab apples were mentioned in the thread.
--
liquid> I dunno what a northern v. a southern onion is. I just learned there were long day and short day onions from reading the back of a seed pack. Oy..... there are times I feel so out of it.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Dappy> what ever I'm thinking about was more recent than that thread. I think crab apples were mentioned in the thread.
I know it was mentioned in a recent thread, but I don't remember which one, and don't see it in my search.

If you want post it in my original apple thread...I'll find it there.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #18

Okay, I found it: http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/for....html#poststop

Tags
day, day length, day light, full sun, length, long day, long-day, mamimum, north, onion, onion seed, onions, organic, short day, short-day, south, summer, sun