Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
WG Operations, Facilitator

I keep all my seeds in a spare frig. Yeah...I do have lots of seeds, but just pull them out when the mood hits me to plant something. I know my germination rates aren't 100%, but even older seed which has been stored in a frig seems to do ok for me.

I have a lot of seeds because I like to experiment! The majority of my seeds have been saved from previously grown plants.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I love that BBBB, I've used our spare fridge for stratifying and seed storage too. Experimenting can be fun, just seeing what will germinate after several years is cool, and it's a bonus that they are from plants you've grown. Some women go to their closets and ponder which shoes they will wear that day, you ponder what seeds to plant!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I have "never" thrown any of the extra vegetable or floral seeds away. I just keep planting them year after year until they are used up them move onto trying out a different variety.
The seeds are stored in a tin box in a heated, yet cool garage.

I've yet to sprout gourd seeds in the following year unless they were gathered from that years harvest.
Guess what...Those gourd seeds Iv'e been planting and trying to sprout yearly just popped through the soil! Maybe soil types DO matter because THIS year I set them into that coconut fiber stuff.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #14

I used to start the hyacinths, daffodills, tulips, etc in the fridge during the Winter months for indoor use. I could hardly find the space for leftovers. Eventually I ended up planting them into the gardens to enjoy naturally. You should see how they've multiplied!

Old 05-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #15

Oh I know what you're talking about hava, coir isn't it? Well the coconut industry must be as happy as a lark by profiting off of what would normally be a waste product. Now I see it everywhere, in MiracleGro mix, in pots (Bluestone Perennials uses them for pots now which made the price triple at least), of course for the hayrack feeder liners for window boxes.

The few plants I ordered from Bluestone since they changed their packaging (no more foam peanuts thank you) I ended up removing the coir pot because like burlap it takes years, if at all, to decompose. I don't want my new plants struggling to get their roots through the mesh. I still toss the pots in the compost where they can rot at their own rate.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #16

I was thinking about trying the coir pots but with still having peat pots in hand I passed and went with filling those with the coir based soil.
So you're saying the coir pots aren't much good as far as letting the plants roots shoot through? I will not purchase any of those then as I don't want to be pealing those off to plant. I've enough menial jobs... So I should pass on purchasing them next year then ha?

Old 05-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #17

I'd keep on with the peat pots. They disintegrate much quicker (maybe too quickly depending on what you are growing) and aren't as expensive. I think coir is OK for moisture retention in soil, it does absorb a lot, but those fibers really take a long time to break down.

If peat pots break down too quickly for you try popping them in a seed tray or other germinating tray or pot before you are ready to plant them out. I save way too many plastic pots and trays just for those reasons. Oh and yes, you can do some damage to the plant roots by pulling off those coir pots. I don't really understand why they are being used at all really.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #18

Sure glad you mentioned that about the roots struggling to get through....I'll stick with the peat pots then. They work out juuuuust fine.

Tags
chart, cook, dark, dry, germination, guidelines, long, refrigerator, seed, seed collection, seed storage, seeds, store, storing, storing seeds, vegetable