Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
WG Staff

Default Itís Not Too Late to Plant Organic Heirloom Spinach This Spring

Itís Not Too Late to Plant Organic Heirloom Spinach This Spring
Sustainable Seed Company News
Promoting Self Sufficiency through Food Independence
Posted on March 25, 2013
by Cindy Weller

It?s Not Too Late to Plant Organic Heirloom Spinach This Spring | Sustainable Seed Company News
excerpts from above:
Quote:
With the cool spring most of the country is experiencing this year, gardeners still have time to order and plant organic heirloom spinach seeds. If you hurry you can still get luscious green salads from nutritious spinach, plus enough to freeze for the coming year. This crisp dark green vegetable packs a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals, especially folic acid, iron and antioxidants. Itís one of the most widely grown crops in temperate climates throughout the world and has been cultivated for centuries.
Quote:
The best time to plant organic heirloom spinach seed is early spring, and again in the fall, as the plants canít tolerate the heat of summer. Spinach of all varieties prefer temperatures in the 65-75 degree range. The seeds wonít germinate if planted when the weather exceeds 85 degrees although it is hardy enough for an occasional dip to 15-18 degrees. When exposed to heat the plants will go into their reproductive phase and begin to bolt. The leaves that remain are often too bitter to enjoy. Once the summer heat dissipates the quick growing green can be replanted for fall produce. The seeds do best in a slightly humus soil that isÖ
Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Guess what I just planted this past weekend?

Quote:
Savoy spinach Ė Bloomsdale Long Standing Spinach Seed is the most popular and well-known variety. It is a fast growing (39 days) variety that people often choose to plant so they can begin harvesting baby spinach leaves as soon as possible.
...Although I bought it from a different site.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #3

This is a first for me...but it is not all I planted. I've had my peas in for a while--at least some of them. Those in pots in the greenhouse are already up. Those in the vegetable garden are not. I just bought more peas today at the grocery store--they said they could tolerate heat, so I thought I'd give them a try.

This year, I ordered from an heirloom seed company and even enlisted Jeff's help in planting things in pots in the sunroom. Several other than the spinach are new for me: watermelon (two varieties), cantaloupe, cabbage (two varieties), and several more common things like broccoli (just came up) and three kinds of lettuce.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Oh Dappy!!!!! I'm like so happy for you that you're going for it!!! I'm even happier Jeff jumped on board!!!! You go boys!!! Don't worry about any mistakes you make and you 2 will have flops.... you'll learn from those and acquire skills along the way that you'll use later on down the road.... screw ups are all part of the process!!! I'm deliriously happy reading how you're trying so many new veggies!!!
Old 04-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Oh Dappy!!!!! I'm like so happy for you that you're going for it!!! I'm even happier Jeff jumped on board!!!! You go boys!!! Don't worry about any mistakes you make and you 2 will have flops.... you'll learn from those and acquire skills along the way that you'll use later on down the road.... screw ups are all part of the process!!! I'm deliriously happy reading how you're trying so many new veggies!!!
~smile~Thanks, Lib. You are one of our best cheerleaders.

I'm hoping our flops are few and far between...shhh, I'm in denial and liking it.

Check your private messages once in a while, okay? No response yet from you makes me wonder if it got lost in cyberspace somewhere.

Also, later, when I have time, I hope to start a thread to find out if any one has a few seeds to spate of the varieties I wanted that were sold out by the time I got around to ordering.

Thanks again for your obvious glee at our attempt to grow a bigger, better garden this year...and many years to come.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
Official Plant Nerd

Ya!!! You're on a roll!!! You're doing Tony the Tiger grrrrrrrrreat! Keep up the momentum!!!
--
"Check your private messages once in a while, okay?" I did check a little but found so many that I got back to a few people and then gave up since I had to take off for the weekend. I'm gonna have to check e-mail 1 of these days too. I have a funny feeling it's been so long I'll see 1000 e-mails and I'll end up doing what I normally do.... delete em all and start from scratch. I don't delete private messages though.... I honestly get to those sooner or later!!! Usually later.
--
Seeds I'm totally backed up on. I shoulda started my squash by now but.... there was too much on my plate so I won't be growing those this year. Today I'm gonna start making up trays for the rest of my veggie seed and this weekend I'll try getting those seeds started. I'm like so far behind this year it's not even funny. Normally I've got all my seed for the raised veggie beds started by the 15th of April so they can get planted out around June 1st but.... that's not going to happen this year.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #7

Thanks, Lib. I do feel pretty great.

I felt kind of behind when I started mine--with Jeff's help (yay!)...but it has been a cold spring anyway, so, I'm not too concerned. At least everything we planted came up. Our watermelon (two varieties--what was I thinking?) were the last to emerge.

Yesterday, I realized I hadn't planted my other seeds (those that didn't come from the heirloom catalog)...so, I planted cucumbers today (inside)...and you *just* reminded me, that I better plant my zucchini.

The PM was about your mailing address...I wanted to send you some seeds. PM me and I'll get them out to you (I know it is kinda late, but not TOO late, I hope).

Also, I put off starting a thread about seeds I'm looking for. I was late in ordering my seeds and they were out of some that I wanted to try--one in particular was called "celtuce"; it is a stem lettuce.

I was hoping someone out there had bought some and had some seed to share. I'd be willing to trade for them. If not, I guess I'llwait until next year, and hopefully order early enough.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Ugh.... I keep meaning to get to private messages and e-mail but.... I was gone last weekend and I'm gonna be gone this next weekend.... cleaning my "internet" house is gonna have to wait. 'Celtuce' isn't 1 I've ever tried so I don't have any seed or I'd give it to you. What got you pcyhed to try that brand of lettuce? Just curious.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Ugh.... I keep meaning to get to private messages and e-mail but.... I was gone last weekend and I'm gonna be gone this next weekend.... cleaning my "internet" house is gonna have to wait. 'Celtuce' isn't 1 I've ever tried so I don't have any seed or I'd give it to you. What got you pcyhed to try that brand of lettuce? Just curious.
That is fine. I know you have a lot going on. I started off pretty good, but things are now getting out of hand. Being away on weekends makes it all that much more difficult.

As for the 'Celtuce', I saw a picture and read the description in an heirloom seed catalog. It is a lettuce that is grown for its *stem*; I found that interesting. The other lettuce varieties I ordered seem REALLY good! So far, I've only tasted a leaf or two about the size of my fingernail. The flavor even without dressing really impressed me. Let's hope it is that good when it matures.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Fox

pawprint Live, Learn, Die, & forget it all

"If you hurry you can still get luscious green salads from nutritious spinach, plus enough to freeze for the coming year."~~~from the original post of this thread.

Uuuugggghhh! I froze 2 bags of really nice cleaned spinach. And just for fun after a few days in the freezer, I wanted some. Spinach does not freeze well in my opinion, it turned it to soupy mush...which I was expecting something resembling my normal spinach I like what I put in there!

ww

Tags
heirloom, it’s, itís, late, organic, plant, spinach, spring