Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Celery

I grew a few different varieties of celery just to test the waters. So far... I'm liking 'Tall Utah' and 'Tendercrisp' the best. Neither of those varieties needed any special treatment which was a bonus for me since I wasn't into fiddling with celery. They're looking real good but.... I haven't tasted either 1 of them yet so we'll see.
--
I'm not finding a lot of info on celery. Last night it dipped into the mid 20's. I had the plants covered and they're covered again tonight because it's supposed to dip down to around 30. I'm wondering.... should I leave em in the ground a little bit longer since we've got a week coming up where we're supposed to hit almost 60 each day and night time temps will only dip down to around 40ish or should I just bring the celery in now?
--
Here's photos of the 'Tall Utah'.
Attached Thumbnails
Celery-img_0645.jpg   Celery-img_0648.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I've been wanting to grow celery too.

I don't know what you should do, but I still have a suggestion. It looks like you have enough to harvest some now, and leave some to get a last little growth spurt in your warmer weather next week. My theory is, if you don't harvest some now, and they can't survive the low temps, you lose it all, so why not harvest some now...and that way, maybe you can give us a report on how they TASTE.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I've got the celery under a thermal blanket.... it should be fine... it made it through last night so I'm thinking all's good to go for tonight which isn't supposed to dip as low. I was afraid of snapping off a few pieces to sample because of pathogens so I left it alone. Maybe I should go out and snitch a whole plant of each variety. I've got some Philly so what the heck. I can leave the rest out there.
--
Here's a little blurb on 'Tall Utah', Tall Utah, Tall Utah 52-70, Tall Utah Celery, Tall Utah 52-70R Improved Celery, Tall Utah 52-70R Improved Celery Seeds, Celery, Celery Seeds, Apium graveolens, Seeds, Vegetable Seeds, Celery, Self Blanching Celery - Reimer Seeds, "120 days. Apium graveolens. Plant produces high quality tender crisp 11" tall stalks of celery. Excellent for celery sticks or salads! Disease Resistant: Brown Check, Western Celery Mosaic. Plant Height: 30" tall." I read where someone said, "The dryer the growing condidtions for celery the stronger the celery flavor. So keep well watered." I didn't understand that so I just watered em well and started cutting back on the water a few weeks ago. My plants are about 26" tall which is close enough to the 30" they mentioned above so I guess I did well enough. The color is nice on the plants.
--
Another blurb on 'Tall Utah', Tall Utah Celery Plant, "This improved celery variety produces 11-inch, tender, yet crisp stalks of celery. The ‘Tall Utah’ Celery Plant is resistant to Brown Check and Western Celery Mosaic, the most common celery diseases. The Tall Utah is perfect for arranging as cut sticks on garnish plates or slicing into salads due to its beautiful, dark green stalks and pleasing flavor. The overall height of the Tall Utah runs about 30 inches. It matures in 90 days; mature stalks will last into colder weather with light frost protection." They said it matures in 90 days. It doesn't based on my limited experience with it. That 1 you'd have to start indoors about a month before your last frost date.
--
Here's a little blurb on 'Tendercrisp', Tendercrisp, Tendercrisp Celery, Tender Crsip, Celery, Celery Seeds, Apium graveolens, Seeds, Vegetable Seeds, Celery, Self Blanching Celery - Reimer Seeds, "112 days. Apium graveolens. Plant grows extra large celery. It is crispy and crunchy. The stalks are crowned with very tasty green leaves. Great when used in salads and soups. Plant Height: 36" tall." So far so good. This plant ended up being slightly taller than 'Tall Utah'. It does have a more compact growth form. The color is much lighter than 'Tall Utah' and both were provided with similar growing conditions.
--
I've tried 3 other varieties of celery and so far these 2 performed the best. Whether I grow them again next year or try more varieties boils down to what they end up tasting like!! I need a good salad celery and a good soup celery and I'd prefer not to have to grow it in trenches then mound and bag it.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #4

Well, I'm glad your thermal blanket will keep them safe.

Both varieties sound great. I await your personal taste test.

I read a while back that they required a lot of water...at least that is what has been in my head--thinking they need a lot of water. I'm wondering if it is to guard against "too strong" of a celery taste. Hmmm...maybe it is too much of a good thing. Who knows.

Keep us posted.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I was screwing around on the computer and it got too dark for me to get to the 'Tall Utah' without breaking a leg but.... the 'Tendercrisp' is a keeper... I snitched 1 of those That 1 will be good in soups. It has a real nice taste to it. I like it 100x better than the celery I've been buying at the grocery store. Tomorrow I'll let you know about the other variety. I'm thinking I'm gonna let em keep growing for a while. I'll protect em at night but I want to see if they'll bulk up more.
--
I didn't water the celery any more than I watered anything else. I did cut back on the water a few weeks ago. I wanted a stronger celery taste for soups ant pot pies.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
'Tendercrisp' is a keeper... I snitched 1 of those That 1 will be good in soups. It has a real nice taste to it. I like it 100x better than the celery I've been buying at the grocery store.
Sounds great! The name itself gave me high hopes for it.

My friend who grew the peanuts said he grew celery too...says it is fine, it just doesn't get as tall as what we buy in the stores.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

My stalks are about 10" from what I can see. I'm ok with that. The celery in the stores is grown different. It's blanched. This is how celery is grown, Growing Celery – Tips On How To Grow Celery. The 2 varieties I grew don't require blanching. I didn't mound mine and I didn't bag em. The taste of the other 3 varieties I tried was about the same as store bought but.... they had to be mounded and bagged. If the taste had been superior.... I woulda considered growing those varieties again and fiddling with them by blanching them but what's the point if the taste wasn't any better than store bought. What's surprising to me is that the 2 varieties that didn't require any fiddling with em.... taste better. You won't get picture perfect celery though. You'll get pretty much what you see in my photos.
--
1 thing though. I grew the celery in soil that was heavily amended with mushroom compost and rabbit poops.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #8

Ten inches sounds pretty good to me...my friend made it sound like they were a lot shorter than that.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

They weren't as thick as store bought celery though if that matters to you. That's good for me if I chopping it for a soup but bad for anyone who wants to fill them with Philly. When I pulled it out of the ground and grabbed it in my hand... it did feel as if it was about the same weight as a store bought celery heart. I'm thinking that the leaves would be good in a juicer. I'll let you know how the other variety tastes sometime later on today.
--
1 thing I've learned.... it's gonna be real hard.... if not impossible..... collecting seed from celery where I am. Our growing season isn't long enough for the plants to flower and set seed.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
They weren't as thick as store bought celery though if that matters to you. That's good for me if I chopping it for a soup but bad for anyone who wants to fill them with Philly.

...I'm thinking that the leaves would be good in a juicer. I'll let you know how the other variety tastes sometime later on today.
I tend to use celery in stuffing or chicken salad (although Jeff doesn't like it in chicken salad--go figure ~making judgemental, goofy grimace~). I do like to eat the centers raw...with nothing on it...although I'm not against peanut butter or something (but it has been forever since I've had that). So the short answer would be, thickness doesn't matter to me.

I love using the leaves chopped up in stuffing. If I were doing juicing, I think I'd love the added flavore of celery. Good idea.

Tags
bag, bagging, blanched, celery, gardens, grow, growing, growing celery, mound, mounded, self blanching, self blanching celery, tall utah, tendercrisp, unblanched, vegetable garden, vegetables