Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

I use celery in stuffing too. I used to make ants on logs for the kids... that's just celery with peanut butter spread on a stalk with raisins on top of the peanut butter. They loved it!!! I just taste tested the 'Tall Utah' .... it's a go. I'm done growing different varieties of celery now. I'll be growing 'Tendercrisp' and 'Tall Utah'. 1 for salads and stuffing and the other for soups!!! I'm good to go.... now if I could just narrow down the broccoli to 2 or 3 I'd be doing great. I'd still like to find a decent full headed broccoli variety that could be grown in the Midwest.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #12
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I love that you are our official taste-tester, so, as long as we have similar tastes, we can just buy the varieties you suggest. Thanks.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Hmmm.... this isn't fair. You need to start growing more edibles so you can reciprocate!!! I still need to whittle down the broccoli I'm growing!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Hmmm.... this isn't fair. You need to start growing more edibles so you can reciprocate!!! I still need to whittle down the broccoli I'm growing!!!
I hate to admit it, but the only variety of anything that I paid attention to was the "burpless" cucumber that I planted this year.

Last year I bought a variety of corn that is edible (and supposed to be sweet) that looks like Indian corn (used as decoration). I think it either didn't do well or I never planted it. Jeff was less than enthusiastic about it and told me he'd refuse to try it. I still have the seeds so, if they germinate, perhaps I'll grow it next year.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #15
WG Operations, Facilitator

Your Celery plants look amazing Equilibrium! You did good.
I've always heard that celery is a bugger to grow, so I've never tried growing it.
The varieties you planted seem much easier to grow.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

The varieties I picked to grow this year ARE much easier than varieties I've tried growing before. These varieties don't require any fussing over them.
--
I'm gonna grow these varieties again. Believe it or not... I'm still bringing in 'Tall Utah'. The last few mornings, all of my ponds had frozen over and the 'Tall Utah' is holding its own. I brought another whole plant in this morning and it hadn't turned to mush.
--
If you can only try 1... I'd try the 'Tall Utah'. The taste of both 'Tall Utah' and 'Tendercrisp' are superior to anything you could buy in the store but I have to say the 'Tall Utah' is holding up remarkably well this late in the year. Next time I plant celery I will stagger the plantings by a week down the row so they don't all mature at the same time.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
WG Facilitator

There are a LOT of crops that should be planted at 2 week intervals, to spread out the harvest.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

I had read that some veggies were supposed to be planted at intervals. I planted all of the same variety all at once because I didn't understand why until.... I had to start putting up everything we couldn't eat because it all matured at the same time. That created a lot of work for me and I can tell you I burned the midnight oil too many nights to count. I'd like to avoid that next year.
--
I start most of my veggies from seed so it's gonna be a little bit trickier than starting what can go straight in the ground at intervals. I 'spose it'll take me a while to figure it out.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
WG Facilitator

Nahhhh, you don't have to figure it out - just wing it!. Everything you had to stay up to can, plant half as much when you start your seeds. Plant the rest of the flat in something else. Repeat in 2 weeks. (Yeah, right! Repeat the next time you get a chance!)

Do you have single rows, or wide beds? Consider mixing some of your plantings. Instead of having 200 foot rows, I broke them up into smaller sections. The beds aren't all ready at the same time, so I will have multiple batches of the same stuff, planted at different times. ( Do NOT think this means I have a schedule. I SHOULD follow a schedule, but I basically do as much as I can now, then work on getting a few more rows/beds ready for next weekend.)

I'll plant some down the middle of a row flanked by lettuce. Then a little later when I'm planting peppers, I'll put a different variety of beans next to them. Beans help out other plants by making nitrogen available to them, giving them a shot of fertilizer.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #20
WG Facilitator

You convinced me to try celery. I'm starting seeds now in the greenhouse, and thought I'd see what celery varieties are recommended here. Surprise! Celery is considered a difficult crop here, and the planting window is June-July to harvest NOW. And as for varieties - there will be 1 choice. hmmmmpf I guess it'll be next year for celery.

Tags
bag, bagging, blanched, celery, gardens, grow, growing, growing celery, mound, mounded, self blanching, self blanching celery, tall utah, tendercrisp, unblanched, vegetable garden, vegetables