Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Edibles Gardeners Unite > Vegetables other than tomatoes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Broccoli varieties

This year I tried a few new varieties of broccoli.... I'll have to go look up what I put in the ground since I don't know offhand. I decided I'd try 'Waltham 29' again and that was a mistake. It's ho hum but I do like the 'Pacman'. Heads were small on both 'Waltham 29' and the 'Pacman' again this year but the 'Pacman'.... could be 'Packman' (sp?).... actually kept on producing side shoots for me last year and I'm hoping it'll do the same for me again this year.... we'll see.
--
So far I haven't stumbled on a variety of broccoli that produces a market sized head. The 'Waltham 29' I won't be growing again.... it's quick to bolt when the temps go up. Anyone growing broccoli out there growing a variety that produces bigger heads than what I'm getting? I'd really like to get down to growing only 2 different varieties of broccoli each year and I'd like what I grow to produce better than what I've been getting out of the varieties I've tried so far. I'll take suggestions!!!
--
1st photo is 'Waltham 29' and the 2nd photo is 'Pacman'. 3rd photo is a few heads I brought in. Aren't those heads puny?
Attached Thumbnails
Broccoli varieties-img_9469.jpg   Broccoli varieties-img_9470.jpg   Broccoli varieties-img_9466.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
This year I tried a few new varieties of broccoli.... I'll have to go look up what I put in the ground since I don't know offhand. I decided I'd try 'Waltham 29' again and that was a mistake. It's ho hum but I do like the 'Pacman'. Heads were small on both 'Waltham 29' and the 'Pacman' again this year but the 'Pacman'.... could be 'Packman' (sp?).... actually kept on producing side shoots for me last year and I'm hoping it'll do the same for me again this year.... we'll see.
--
So far I haven't stumbled on a variety of broccoli that produces a market sized head. The 'Waltham 29' I won't be growing again.... it's quick to bolt when the temps go up. Anyone growing broccoli out there growing a variety that produces bigger heads than what I'm getting? I'd really like to get down to growing only 2 different varieties of broccoli each year and I'd like what I grow to produce better than what I've been getting out of the varieties I've tried so far. I'll take suggestions!!!
--
1st photo is 'Waltham 29' and the 2nd photo is 'Pacman'. 3rd photo is a few heads I brought in. Aren't those heads puny?
Lib, juice the leaves or dehydrate them with a vegetable sauce. They're filled with nutrition!!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Heron

I have the same issue with the broccoli I plant, too. For some reason the heads are always small. I thought it was just me! But I do like the variety I grew this year for flavor. And come to think of it, the variety was marketed as having smaller heads but prolific with side shoots. Broccoli Di Cicco Organic HEIRLOOM Seeds | Botanical Interests. High Quality Seed.

I hope others offer some suggestions; I'd love to hear them!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
WG Facilitator

Did your other plants do well? Is it just the broccoli that's not thriving?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

If you're talking to me.... everything's doing well enough except some zucchini plants that got hit hard by cucumber beetles and squash bugs and I did have 1 whole row of kohlrabi that never germinated so I musta gotten bad seed. Even the grape plants are doing fine and those were hit hard by 2 different species of flea beetles a month ago.

adding, I lost 3 'Valencia' peanut plants. I have no clue what I did to those but this is my 1st year growing them. I got 0 germination on 1 variety of tomato so that had to be bad seed too. I lost a few pepper plants, mostly Melrose so I did have to go and buy some filler peppers for the holes those left. Really, I haven't had that many casualties this year. I was late getting melons in the ground and those aren't looking all that happy but they'll probably come around.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 06-24-2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: adding more
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

This is what I found on small broccoli heads - it's called "buttoning".

Plant Forming Very Small or No Heads is "Buttoning"
The cause of buttoning (producing little “buttons” instead of a big head) is hard to pinpoint. Broccoli is a heavy feeder, so inadequate fertilizer can cause the problem. Wide variations in water availability can also cause buttoning, especially a prolonged dry spell.

Also:
Plants that button have been exposed to cold weather or were stressed for water or nutrients shortly after transplanting. Larger plants are more prone to buttoning. Try to select plants with 4-6 leaves
Old 06-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
WG Facilitator

If everything else you have is doing good, I don't know, but this is what I found. At least you have a name for it.

The cause of buttoning (producing little “buttons” instead of a big head) is hard to pinpoint. Broccoli is a heavy feeder, so inadequate fertilizer can cause the problem. Wide variations in water availability can also cause buttoning, especially a prolonged dry spell.

Problems of Broccoli

This one says it's due to plants being exposed to cold or stressed for water or nutrients after transplanting.
http://extension.usu.edu/files/publi...en_2005-01.pdf
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Butttoning, eh? Never heard of it before. I'm thinking I've been watering well enough.... sheesh... I go out there before and after work and on weekends so it can't be water. It was a really mild winter and it's been so long since we had a hard frost that I can't remember so I'm thinking it can't be because they got cold. That leaves inadequate fertilizer and broccoli are heavy feeders which is why I was tossing more bunny poops around the bases of those plants. What else can I do?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:09 AM   #9
Heron

Well, yesterday I figured I should just chop some of the tiny broccoli heads and cook them up with a few tender leaves and stalks. It was pretty good

Broccoli varieties-broccoli.jpg

While I was cooking, I looked over at my husband's preparations and thought those were worthy of a photo too. He's making beans, Kerala-style, with mustard seeds, curry leaves, onion, green chili, and coconut pieces (he hadn't added the beans yet, as you can see).

Broccoli varieties-beans-come.jpg
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

Tasty.... very tasty!!! I've never tried curry leaves before. I wonder if I'd be ok with fresh leaves?

Tags
bolt, broccoli, gardening, heads, pacman, side shoots, size, varieties, vegetable, vegetable garden, vegetable gardening, vegetables, waltham, waltham 29