Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default What is it???

This came out of our barn about 30 years ago. Someone said it was for scraping pig hides but.... my family wasn't exactly the hog farmin' type. Someone else said it was for making ravioli but.... I don't think so or it woulda been in the kitchen not the barn. I propped it up on the dog to get better photos. The hot dog shaped parts are about 6.5" in length if that helps gauge size. Is this "useful" for gardening or.... is it another tool for when I'm walking in dark alleys all by myself?
Attached Thumbnails
What is it???-img_5535.jpg   What is it???-img_5536.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Pope

It is a mezzaluna, a kitchen tool. You would put vegetables or whatever in a wooden bowl and chop them with a rocking motion. Or can be used on a cutting board, but is probably more effective with a bowl. I have one that belonged to my great-grandmother.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I looked it up and that sure is what it sorta looks like, http://www.notquitenigella.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/a-mezzaluna_pistachios.jpg. Looks like it can be used for chopping nuts. Mine's pretty dull.... doesn't even look like it ever had good edges but.... it was out there rusting away for decades so who knows if it ever was sharp. What do you think it was doing out in the barn hung on a peg by the scythes and sickles? They musta been multi-tasking it>>>?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Pope

Your guess is as good as mine, perhaps it was used to chop up something to put in feed for livestock? There are different styles of mezzaluna (Italian for "half-moon," I believe), and the style you have can be found in antique shops, junk stores, etc. I think it dates to around the 1930s or 40s? Possibly earlier. The basic style has been around forever. Some people collect this sort of thing, and may be able to tell you exactly where yours was made, etc.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I can't believe you've never ran into one of those before...They work very well tenderizing meat as well.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
It is a mezzaluna, a kitchen tool. You would put vegetables or whatever in a wooden bowl and chop them with a rocking motion. Or can be used on a cutting board, but is probably more effective with a bowl. I have one that belonged to my great-grandmother.
Cool that you could identify it so quickly. I never know what I'll learn on this site.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

If folk used it as a meat tenderizer.... maybe that's why it's dull and was hanging out in the barn. I know our family shot and ate Bambi. I can remember hooks in the rafters on the 1st floor of the barn during hunting season. They'd drag a picnic table in the barn and butcher the deer. Maybe they used it to tenderize some cuts of meat>>>? Could have been used to chop corn.... there were some chickens running around. I guess why it was in the barn is gonna be a mystery since noone's alive who could tell me.
--
hava> I woulda never made the connection. The one I have at home is single edged and sharp. It rocks and I do use it but the one out in the barn threw me for a loop. It was hanging there for years rusting and collecting dust.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

In a pinch you can use them for cutting in butter (in an up and down chopping motion) as in making the dough for pie shells.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
In a pinch you can use them for cutting in butter (in an up and down chopping motion) as in making the dough for pie shells.
Yes! Exactly right! I had one for years and used it for cutting flour into butter for piecrust dough.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote