Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Arthritis Accessible Gardening Tools

A display of some readily available gardening tools to make the going a little bit easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Arthritis Accessible Gardening Tools-img_3942.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Official Plant Nerd

The Arthritis Foundation had a handout I picked up that was an "Enabling Garden Resource Guide". I sorta have to question why a specific rain barrel made the list and that composter and that Ames Garden cart but.... some of the other adaptable and non-traditional gardening tools and the oddball "wish I would have thought of that" gadgets like the down-up pulley and the shutoff valves make life easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Arthritis Accessible Gardening Tools-arthritis-foundation-enabling-garden-resource-guide-handout.jpg  
Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

Back to the rain barrels. I still don't get why they added a specific brand of rain barrel to their list??? Rain barrels are great and all but.... no mention of elevating them to make them more accessible. My rain barrels are up on cinder blocks I think. That means I don't have to keep bending over to get at the spigot. Any rain barrel can be raised off the ground to make life easier and it doesn't have to be the really expensive one they're pushing. I found this site that mentioned safe movements and got into specifics of making life easier in the garden like using raised vegetable beds and trellises, Gardening With Arthritis - Safe Gardening (UK). That site's loaded with good ideas to save our backs like espalier gardening for fruiting trees, Espalier Training for Fruit Trees - Safe Gardening (UK). You'd just have to look around and see what fits the bill for your own body and its limitations.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

Here's a tool that didn't make the guide list, Weed Roller :: Herbicide Applicator. This does exactly what it says it does with no bending over to get at the weeds. I tried one at a trade show with water in it. There's other weed roller type applicators that apply herbicide out there but they're not listed under enabled gardening. There's a DIY sponge applicator that works as well IMHO that you could make for next to nothing that would do the same thing. Probably the biggest plus to this tool is that it totally eliminates overspray so plants in the area won't get nuked when using a kill all. Anyone using it has more control over where the herbicide goes.

Tags
accessible, arthritis, back, disabled, garden tool, garden tools, gardening, tool, tools