Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
Fox

Default Pocketknife confessions

I'm in the market for a new pocketknife, something sturdy enough to trim a small branch but small and light enough to carry in my pocket most days. I saw some beautiful scrimshawed-with-wildflowers ones at a giftshop once, but when I went back they were gone. Looking for a nice one to keep with me when I'm out walking; something to lop off a new tree-of-heaven, trim a thin branch, or cut up an apple.

What do you carry?
Do you have a favorite one you use just for gardening, or do you have one with you all the time?
A favorite manufacturer, the best type, what you mostly use it for, how long have you had it, is it an heirloom...????
Or show us what it looks like and share a photo--
Calliandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
Fox

This one is pretty. It's more than I'd wanted to spend though:

Amazon.com: Dragonfly Tattoo, Stainless w/Poly-Chromatic Handle, Plain: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited by Cirsium; 07-31-2010 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Repaired link
Old 06-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

In the U. P. There's nothing like a marble arms knife....Marbles knives

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Fox

The Marbles ones look nice and solid.

My older relatives used to carry a pocketknife around all the time, but maybe people don't do that so much anymore. I remember seeing one that had been sharpened so many times that the blade was curved inward.

I think I'll end up with something cheaper, maybe even just a $10 one from Target, in case I lose it. I'll see if I can find one with a serrated section.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I went to Bass Pro Shops and picked up this one, Buck Nano Bantam Lockback Knife. The guy behind the counter picked it for me and said it was as good as any and had a safety on it. I've had it maybe 6 or 7 years. It works and I've never lost any fingers using it. I don't have it on me all the time. I keep it in the junk drawer in the kitchen.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

I like locks on them too. I hate wondering if it's going to close up upon my fingers....

Old 06-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Fox

I lost the tippy top of my finger to one as a child. It snapped shut, and zappp. Hurt... incredibly. My fingertip regrew though.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

That was the main reason I picked the one the guy picked for me. The other reason was it was big enough that I felt like I had something in my hand. Some of them were pretty small and seemed like they'd be more trouble than they were worth. $20 was more than enough money for a pocket knife and I can say that I've gotten my money's worth since I bought it. I think any knife that has a lock back that's big enough to really be practical no matter if it's $10 or $20 or more is going to work. Most manufacturers have lockback models.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
WG Contest Coordinator

I carry a Boker Speedlock2 like the one in the picture. I have had mine for so long that the bone insert came out and I got tired of gluing it back in, so I made my own insert. I have had mine for about 12 years now. I never go anywhere without it. One word of caution, it is considered a switchblade in many states. I paid way more than you would probably consider paying for a knife though

I would recommend just about any knife from CRKT.

Knives - Columbia River Knife and Tool

I have a couple of their knives for backpacking and I have never had a problem with them and they are quite reasonably priced.

Of course no matter what I keep my knives scary sharp.
Attached Thumbnails
Pocketknife confessions-bokerspeedlock2bluebonesatinplainnonailnick.jpg  
Old 06-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Of course no matter what I keep my knives scary sharp.
Marble arms sells a knife sharpener that ACTUALLY WORKS!
How many times have I bought sharpeners that don't!
Flat stones you drizzle with oil or water, slanted honing sticks, butchers steels, the ones you draw through two stupid circles of metal, scissors sharpeners you name it I've tried it. Marbles WORK! I don't care if it cost me and arm an a leg to buy one. They do it!
Actually I lost all my arms and legs. I bought 4 of them, one for each camp, our home and even a gift for the brother in law. I saved myself a finger for typing though

Tags
confessions, garden knife, garden tool, garden tools, gardening knife, gardening knives, knife, knife qualities, knives, lockback, lockback knife, marble arms knife, marble knives, pocket knife, pocketknife, tool, tools, utility knife