Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default SuperThrive

I'm a member of another forum where I originally posted this. If it isn't ok, go ahead and delete it.

Here is what I have done to date-
1) I planted 1400 (yes you are reading correctly, that’s one thousand four hundred) bare root saplings 5 or 6 years ago and bought enough SuperThrive to douse all of them I planted on the south side of my property. My findings were trees I could reach with my garden hose that were watered during the drought lived. No differentiation between having been planted on the north side or the south side. It all came down to which ones were able to be watered during the drought and which ones weren’t.
2) I transplanted 6 seedlings I germinated of the following into individual pots:
Antennaria, Aquilegia, Asclepias, Carya, Chionanthus, Cladrastis, Digitalis, Drosera, Gymnocladus, Hystrix, Juglans, Liatris, Monarda, Polemonium, Quercus, Sarracenia, and Viburnum. I’m sure I’ve missed a few. Three of each were SuperThrived and three of each were not. All were grown side by side. No difference. They all survived transplant but the three Drosera that were SuperThrived declined until they were mush. So based on this, I would suggest that SuperThrive never be used on Drosera.
3) I transplanted numerous mature Sarracenia into larger pots and SuperThrived them all. Bad experiment because I forgot to use a control. No way I can tell you if they did better having been SuperThrived or not.
4) I played around with SuperThriving plants that were shocking from having bark stripped by rabbits. Another not so great experiment because the odds are that all those fruiting shrubs would have died anyway. None survived. The fruiting shrubs that did survive were not treated with SuperThrive but they were protected by Miracle Tubes so that the rabbits and deer couldn’t get to them.

That about sums up the "debate" from my perspective. I’ve had much better success by focusing on protecting my plants from critters as well as trying to meet as many of their cultural requirements as was possible by using the most appropriate potting mixes, watering properly, fertilizing responsibly and at the right time and with the correct fertilizer, and sighting the plant properly and by this I mean paying attention to zone/light/soil/drainage/location/etc. The price of SuperThrive has been steadily creeping up over the years. I can’t condone using this product any longer just because everyone else does or because nurseries swear by it or simply because it doesn’t seem to do any harm.

In lieu of some form of reputable research data; and mind you I’m not even all that interested in any type of rigorous scientific standard but literally any reputable research data would suffice after this many years of this product being sold, I remain a skeptic and view my prior use of the product as one of many ways I was separated from my money. My opinion of SuperThrive is that it is a placebo, nothing more nothing less. It’s a "use it and feel like you are doing something good" product.

I found one reference on the net that made me laugh, the author wrote this, “Using SuperThrive is a victimless crime. It does not hurt to use it but using it DOES condone dissemination of valueless anecdotal drivel.” Pretty funny actually unless… you, like me, got wrapped up in all the hype and were actually using the product and paying hard earned money for it with no measurable benefits other than claims made by people selling it. That same author also went on to comment that, “NO ONE has bellied up with even reasonably acceptable evidence… No one has shown a difference on a macro scale nor is there anything to suggest changes on a micro scale.” Based on exhaustive searches looking for “evidence”, I would have to agree with him/her. Bottom line is sooner or later, people who religiously used SuperThrive run out of the product. Many who run out realize they don’t notice any difference.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #2
Heron

All I know is that I've had good luck with it.
Prairiefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it works for you, then keep on Super Thriving!
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Unicellular Fungi

Snake oil

Tags
superthrive