Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #71
WG Operations, Facilitator

I agree with Hazelnut for the small jobs.

The Alligator Lopper: Electric Lopper from Black and Decker works great.

BooBooBearBecky

Attached Thumbnails
Chainsaw advice sought-img_1910.jpg  
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #72
WG Facilitator

I thought I was getting the real Alligator Lopper, but I realized as soon as I hit the Buy Now button that it was an imitation. I'm thrilled with it. It will not work unless I have both hands on the handles and both triggers squeezed. When you let go of one handle, the weight of it causes the guard to close and the blade to stop. I feel safe using it. Have never been brave enough to try a real chain saw, but this one's fun. Used it twice and have a huge stack of branches.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #73
WG Facilitator

BooBooBearBecky - love your flower bed!
Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #74
WG Operations, Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
BooBooBearBecky - love your flower bed!
Well thanks biigblueyes! Those are alpine strawberries growing in there. Tiny fruits, but sooooo tasty. They attract a lot of birds too. Next year I want to plant a few near the bird feeders.

Glad you're enjoying your new "electric power saw." I thought the tool was pretty easy to use. Fun and fast too!

BooBooBearBecky
Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM   #75
Fox

I thought I would add a comment to this older thread since I purchased one of the Stihl Easy2Start chainsaws about a year ago.
MS 251 CB-E | Powerful Lightweight Adjustable Chainsaw | STIHL USA Mobile

The Easy2Start feature really does improve the ease of starting chainsaws. Starting has always been one of the nemesis of chainsaw operation. The Easy2Start feature eliminates the difficulty of having to brace the chainsaw and yank vigorously on the pull rope.

With the Easy2Start feature it's just a quick, but gentle, pull on the starter rope. This winds a spring which then starts the saw when you release the starter rope. It's so easy that it's no longer necessary to hold down the chainsaw with your hand and foot.

One other thing that has made a big difference in operating all of my small gas powered engines was switching from regular gasoline to premium grade gasoline. I started doing this because of a warning in the Stihl operator manual. The premium grade gasoline that I buy for the small engines does not contain any ethanol. Ethanol is hard on small engines and can shorten their life.

I also use a gas stabilizer (like Sta-Bil) in all of the gas for small engines. Gasoline degrades significantly in just 2 - 3 months, so with a stabilizer I don't have to worry about when the last time I used the gas in my gas can or how long the gas has been in the weed eater.

It's been a nice long year of 1 or 2 pull starts.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #76
Fox

I should have added one more item to my last post - the NO-SPILL gas can.
http://www.amazon.com/No-Spill-1405-.../dp/B000W72GBC

It really makes filling small engine gas tanks a lot easier. All of the other gas cans that I have had always leaked or spilled a little gas on the lawnmower. Another feature that I really like about the NO-SPILL can is that the seals are tight enough so that you can transport it in a car without getting gas fumes in the car. You just have to be careful when filling it so that you don't get any gasoline on the outside of the container.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, alligator lopper, chainsaw, chainsaw maintenance, easy2start, electric chainsaw, husquvarna, pruning, safety, sought, stihl