Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 07:03 AM   #51
Lungwort

My key for starting recalcitrant pull cords is very simple. I pretend I'm a guy. After 30 years of working in male dominated fields (and a tomboy youth), I made a simple observation. Women try to "finesse" objects, men apply brute force. So, with a pull cord, we gals will actually PULL it out, men will jerk it with a burst.
Years ago I met a contractor who, way before the time, employed only women on his heavy equipment. He said his profits shot up as his repair bills vanished. Women "finesse". Yet, other times, that forceful power burst is what the situation calls for and I try to remember this. So, roll your sleeves up to your shoulders, put a toothpick in your mouth, grab your crotch then YANK!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:49 AM   #52
WG Writer

And don't swollow the toothpick! When I was taught this technique -- the xy approach -- my mentor insisted that a chaw of tobacco went along with it. The tobacco was fine, but then you have to learn to spit -- not swallow -- the tobacco juice.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #53
Lungwort

I was gonna include "hock a big lunger on the driveway", but I thought I'd show some restraint (for once)...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #54
Pope

Quote:
So, roll your sleeves up to your shoulders, put a toothpick in your mouth, grab your crotch then YANK!
That sounds painful!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #55
Pope

Chainsaw advice sought-ms180cbe-1-.gif

This is the little baby that I have picked out. You can see the details here: Chain Saws - STIHL MS 180 C-BE Chain Saw - Occasional Use - STIHL USA
Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #56
WG Writer

You will really enjoy it. Mine is a stihl but a different model.

Like any baby you have to get used to it and keep it well maintained. If you do you will still be using it 20 years from now.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #57
Co-Administrator

OK, now we are all waiting for your evaluation on how easy/difficult it is to start!

Cirsium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #58
Pope

Haven't purchased it yet--sorry! Having to shuffle finances this month. Maybe Santa will bring it along with the weed wrench I have been asking for lo these many years! I did get to fool around with it at the store though, and I can see that the easy-start feature will probably help aleviate my chromosome deficiency.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #59
Fox

Tell Santa that the safety equipment needs to be included in the package. Their a great tool, but they need to be used with the appropriate caution. Ear and eye protection are essential. And wear heavy footwear. I spent many years of my youth behind a chainsaw, and I have plenty of scars to prove it.
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 AM   #60
Pope

NEWisc, excellent point! I have steel toed hiking sneakers (in a women's size, no less), and eye and ear protection. Will have to hope that leather work gloves and maybe chaps can be stuffed into my stocking with care.

Tags
advice, alligator lopper, chainsaw, chainsaw maintenance, easy2start, electric chainsaw, husquvarna, pruning, safety, sought, stihl