Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #31
WG Writer

Well. There is nothing more personal than your tools. Asking to borrow your tools is like asking to use your toothbrush!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #32
Pope

You are preaching to the choir. I cannot help but think that rjbman would agree if he were here!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
They start it for me and I set it on the carseat next to me and drive home with it running. When it runs out of gas, I fill it up and go back to the "right" chromosones to get it running again.
Choking laughing on that one. But oh so true. You can get soooo much mileage out of the "right" chromosomes with an occasional goodie from your kitchen. . . .
Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

My subdivision has like 30 homes in it. We're spread pretty far apart. Most of the "right chromosomes" are in the next subdivision over which also only has like 30 homes in it. I drive out of this subdivision on a rural road and into the next one looking for the "right chromosomes" and when I find one I hand them my chainsaw and they hand it back to me... I drive out of their subdivision... onto the rural road for all of a half a mile... back into mine... and I'm ready to go. This has been going on ever since I took my chainsaw classes. I rarely ever pass a car going the other direction. Nobody sees me... nobody questions... and nobody expects baked goods from the old lady with the chain saw. I do buy a pack of Christmas cards and stick a Happy Ho Ho in their mail boxes and thank them for the starts. I do give them homemade candles that are color coordinated with dyes to the decorating in their homes... which I can see when they open their front doors. One guy did offer to come and take care of what ever I needed cutting down once so I wouldn't hurt myself. When I told him I had cut down over 5,000 buckthorns as of that date he said oh and asked if I'd cut down one for him since I was there. I did. I went home and got some happy juice to paint his stump and then cut down the trunk to firewood for him so he could stack it up. I do go out and cut down buckthorn neighbors want gone. Most of them don't have alot because their lots were leveled before they built so they could have lawns. They mostly only have a 25 footer in a corner of their lot and those come down easily enough and in the direction you want them to fall.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #35
Pope

I cannot get past the image of you driving around with a chain saw running on the passenger seat next to you. A slight glint in your eye. Too funny. You will have to teach me some good chain saw skills--I am self-taught out of the Makita manual.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #36
Official Plant Nerd

You're talking to the one... the only... chain saw class flunky. I took the classes with a group of people that were signed up to volunteer in natural areas. At the end of the course everyone got a certificate of completion except for me. How embarrassing. I thought there had been a mistake. No mistake. No certificate for me... I flunked. They were real nice about it and let me come back for private lessons. No charge. I'm easily approaching the 10,000 mark for taking invasives down and you know something... I'm still afraid of my chainsaw. I'll tackle most trees in the 50-75' range depending on where they are but... anything beyond that and the "right chromosomes" have to come in and take over. I'm better suited to the smaller trees and multi stem formations. This is perfect for the guys since I'm alot smaller than them and can get into areas that are hard on their backs to clear. Teamwork. Probably 90% of what I've taken down is buckthorn. Buckthorns rarely go over 25'. My chainsaw has a safety. I lock it when I'm driving even the short distance and I keep it locked until I get to the plant I want to go to plant heaven. Bring your Makita with you and we'll go out with the "right chromosomes" on Saturday morning 9 to noon. They love us "Y's". They feed us too. Their wives cook good.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #37
Pope

I am totally there! I don't call it fear when it comes to chain saws, I call it healthy respect. How do the airlines feel about chain saws in carry on luggage? (To the people in the government who read our emails: I AM JUST KIDDING.)
Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #38
Salamander

owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
(To the people in the government who read our emails: I AM JUST KIDDING.)
We don't think so.......
Old 08-19-2009, 09:20 PM   #39
Pope

You made me laugh out loud, Quietman. So nice to know that you have a sense of humor as well as being interesting! Wait--YOU are kidding, right (nice Mr. Federal Employee)?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
Slapping, Swearing, Itching, Scratching Mosquito Bait

Never mind getting something like that on an airplane, have you ever tried to return something to a box store that had gasoline in the tank? Even the fumes will make them hesitant. Fire regulations, I guess.
swamp thing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, alligator lopper, chainsaw, chainsaw maintenance, easy2start, electric chainsaw, husquvarna, pruning, safety, sought, stihl