Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
WG Facilitator

You design one and we'll be your guinea-pigs. We'll try them out for you and help you perfect it before you spend the first dollar on marketing. Aren't we good friends?
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
Heron

It sounds like a great plan. You fund it and I will design it. :-)
joepyeweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
WG Writer

An electric chainsaw would plug into an ordinary outdoor outlet.

I have a Remington. Very lightweight and easy to manage -- but it only works as far as an extention cord will go. And you have to avoid cutting through the cord!

We are all posting at the same time!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #14
Garden Angel

A big issue with starting chainsaw engines is that they're almost all 2 stroke. Because of all the angles the saw is operated in, the 4 stroke engine isn't practical because of the difficulties in delivering oil. Some animations of the different ways they work here.

If you ran your car engine upside down, or on its side, at high RPMs, it would pretty quickly damage it because no oil would be flowing to the cylinders.

2 cycle engines solve this by mixing oil with the gas. Unfortunately, this mixture makes it difficult to get the engine started.

Aside from Eric's point about a chainsaw with a starter motor being heavier than most people want, I don't know if it's possible to design a starter motor for a 2 stroke. They take some work, because you have to mix with the fuel-air ratio to get it started, and then readjust it once everything is properly lubricated. And, in addition to the weight of the starter motor, you'd have the weight of a battery.

I've looked around for 4 stroke chainsaws for about 10 minutes, and I keep hitting on examples (Stihl, Husq, Ryobi) and did the google shopping thing, too, and didn't come across any. A 4 stroke engine on a chainsaw, with a starter motor, would be really, really heavy relative to its utility.

Not the news you wanted, I'm sure, but I hope you understand the reasons. When I was a landscaper, the smart guys always grabbed the Echo tools, though I understand Stihl and Husq are also very reliable, we just didn't have any of those on the trailer. Good luck!
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #15
Pope

Well, I have no interest in watching someone else do the cutting--I am too opinionated as to how it should be done. A nice cold beer does sound good once in a while, though...no additional chromosomes necessary for that.

The point about the added weight with a battery, starter, etc. is well taken; I figured as much but thought I would ask anyway. I will look into your collective recommendations and let you know what I come up with. Thanks one and all!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #16
Pope

"Right" chromosome?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #17
Salamander

PocketKnife

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I have a stihl. And no Y chromosome.

One thing Ive found as that gas with ethanol in it doesn't help the chain saw much. You might want to make sure you have some fuel stabilizer on hand and always use fresh gasoline.
I have a Stihl "Farm Boss", always starts. I like to make sure I get the highest octane gas I can to mix with two stroke oil. Seems to make things easier.

Quiet
Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
WG Facilitator

It sounds like Quietman's advise is better than hubby's. I just asked if he had any advise on what kind of chain saw starts reliably, "even for a girl-type people". His answer: A new one. Buy the cheapest one you can find, and when it starts giving you trouble, get a new one.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:41 AM   #19
WG Writer

I think the most important advice about any tool is to follow the use-care instructions and maintain it properly. And never loan your tools! Old gas in a gasoline engine is a basic problem. But the worst problem I have is that men coming onto my property think they own my tools.
Recently a contractor borrowed my Stihl chainsaw - which was almost brand new at the time. He claimed he had a tree down on his trailer and needed the chain saw to reclaim his property from hurricane damage. When I finally got the saw back from him it was no longer new and now needs a complete overhaul. Im not sure if it will ever start again.

This has happened to me again and again. Workmen don't believe that a woman should own tools. This guy also destroyed several other tools while he was working on my house.

Bah! Don't ever loan your tools -- no matter how much the poor XY seems to need them!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #20
Pope

I have also had this experience, hazelnut, and it really steams me. I had to replace my lovely little japanese-style finishing saw for that reason. And lots of other tools have escaped too, but I cannot tell who is responsible (could be someone in the family). I doubt that chromosomes have a thing to do with it, though, and even if it did I'm not willing to dive into that controversial conversational morass!

I have identified a Stihl that might be the right one for me. I will have to dig up the model number so that I can post it for comments.

Tags
advice, alligator lopper, chainsaw, chainsaw maintenance, easy2start, electric chainsaw, husquvarna, pruning, safety, sought, stihl