Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
Unicellular Fungi

Default Power-Save 1200™?

While registering at a site to win a free solar system, I found this product,
POWER-SAVE 1200 - Save Energy, reduce electric bills, power save, save power, power-save, low electric bills, lower electric bill, lower, electric, bill, lower heating bill, 1200

Does anyone have a Power-Save 1200™? Does it look like a good value?
Advertisement claims,
Quote:
reduces the amount of power drawn from the utility by storing electricity otherwise lost from the motors in your home. The unit supplies this stored electricity back to your appliances, decreasing demand from the utility. Decreasing demand means less usage and lower electric bills!
In reading more about their product it looks like a glorified surge protector. We could use some help with lower electric bills. I unplug my washer and dryer when they're not in use. We unplug some other appliances when we're not using them also. That did help.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
WG Writer

I think I need one. I just had high speed internet installed and now I can't turn off my computer. No matter how many times I turn it off, it comes back on. The only way I can turn it off is to turn off the surge protector.

There are little gremlins in there turning things back on so they can play while Im away!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

I don't know if I need one for $300. I'm not quite sold on the product.

The first thing I do when my computer begins to act up is run an online virus scan,
HouseCall v6.5 - ITW Trend Micro USA

This way if any little gremlins have gotten in and disabled my own personal virus software, I'm able to rule out a virus with confidence when their scan comes back clean.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
WG Writer

There do not seem to be any viruses. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

You have recently installed high speed. Most likely uou have been installing and uninstalling other programs. If you haven't cleaned up your registry recently, it may be time to do that.

What to Do When Your Computer Does Not Shut Down
Quote:
The problem is most likely your system registry. This little component Windows uses is stored in the system folder and the easiest way of explaining its concept is that the registry is a sort of a critical log book that Windows uses. Every thing that happens within the Windows environment will be tracked in the log book and what the operating system lists down in the registry are the instructions of each and every program that is installed within it. It is not only limited to software, but hardware changes and instructions are also placed within the registry. This includes system files, load files, driver details - everything to make your programs run as they should. Now as time goes by, you would have done a lot of installing and uninstalling, and mistakes do happen since even computers and code are not perfect. So problems like invalid entries, lost and orphan data keys, blank spaces and even virulent lines of code written by malware and Trojan viruses get self invited to the registry. This means that your registry could possibly end up corrupted, and the common symptoms of this is a slower computer, common auto run errors, runtime errors and even Windows and program crashes.
There is always a reason why the computer cannot shut down. There are certain procedures that it does to shut down and the problem can occur when a registry entry for a program it's trying to close is either lost or corrupted. Or the registry is filled with invalid system entries that choke the system when it is trying to exit from its operating system environment and close down critical system programs.
What you need to do of course is to get a registry cleaner, a program that is freely available on the internet. Download a good one - so do your research and soon your computer problems will go away and it will be able to shut down once again. The registry is actually the root of many problems within the Windows environment and you should always do a scan and clean once every week to ensure that it runs healthily. This is what to do when your computer does not shut down and I hope this article has solved your problem.
I'm afraid I am not able to recommend any free registry cleaners. Perhaps someone else might be able to suggest one. I use System Mechanic which isn't freeware. It is set to run once a week.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Garden Angel

I would check in the network card settings. When I go to start menu, then control panel, then system, then device manager, then network card, and check the "properties" of the network card, then "power options," there is an option to "allow device to wake computer". Mine is unchecked, but my work computer has it checked in case I need to access it remotely (which isn't often, as it's a laptop).

This setting, I think, is a "1" or "0" in your registry.

An easy way to see if this has something to do with it would be to unplug the network, and turn off the computer. If it comes back on, you got other issues; if not, then it's got something to do with the network.
CincyGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
Salamander

coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
While registering at a site to win a free solar system, I found this product,
POWER-SAVE 1200 - Save Energy, reduce electric bills, power save, save power, power-save, low electric bills, lower electric bill, lower, electric, bill, lower heating bill, 1200

Does anyone have a Power-Save 1200™? Does it look like a good value?
Advertisement claims,

In reading more about their product it looks like a glorified surge protector. We could use some help with lower electric bills. I unplug my washer and dryer when they're not in use. We unplug some other appliances when we're not using them also. That did help.
Lorax,

I'm an electrical engineer, and I can tell you this is not a good value unless you have numerous, large 3-phase motors running in your home.

Their explanations are kinda shady, the only thing I can conclude (only potential benefit) is that the device is a "phase balancer" to reduce or eliminate harmonic distortion caused by having large, three phase motors operating on the same power grid (inside some building or structure) as numerous single phase devices. In a typical home, there are so few true three phase devices that the benefit would be truly minimal. Ask yourself this, if the device actually worked, wouldn’t nearly everyone you know have one? Wouldn’t it be advertised regularly (think Iphone ads, not infomercials).

It reminds me of the “magnetic” water filters people are pushing today, another huge ripoff. We’ve actually tested those devices and there appears to be no real benefit.

As I haven’t personally SEEN or WORKED with the “Powersave-1200”, this is merely my professional opinion based on 20 years of experience.

Quietman

P.S. Wow! I got promoted from Lungwort to Grub today! Whoo-hoo!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
WG Writer

Congrats on your promotion, Quietman!

Well I did find out that it is apparently the new cable for high speed that is turning my TV back on when I turn it off.

Just goes to show your electronics may be ON when you think it is OFF.

It does seem to work to turn off the surge protector.

But why pay $300? Just plug them all into a surge protector and unplug that at the end of the day.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Can you list off all the appliances in our homes that would be 3-phase motors? A washing machine is one of them I think.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
Salamander

coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Can you list off all the appliances in our homes that would be 3-phase motors? A washing machine is one of them I think.
Nope, most washers (99%) are 120V, 1PH. It just has the one,sub-fractional motor usually. Dryers are typically 208V, and if they are three phase, it's just for the heating elements, the motor is still sub-fractional.

To get to 3-phase motors, you usually are looking for a large pumphouse for a pool or 9 person hot tub.

Very lucky people who have a full wood shop MIGHT have some 3 phase motors driving the equipment.

Finally, while I'm no architect, and only mildly familar with building codes, I'm pretty confident that the typical residential electrical service is single phase only, 120V and 208V. (Most of my electrical experieince is in industrial control systems and micro-electronics)

BTW, sub-fractional motors are less than 1 horsepower (HP). Common motors are 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, but can go all the way down to 1/17, 1/64, etc.

Best Regards!

Quietman

Tags
1200™, 1200™, powersave