Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Lungwort

Default Tool Storage- Some Possibilities

I love to be able to go into the garage & workshop and be able to see what I need at a glance. Also easy access to it is nice too. I decided to first of all take and build a 4'x8' frame of 2"x3" lumber. I also put one piece in the middle of the frame for support. Then attached frame to two uprights. Then just put pegboard on each side. So, 16' of pegboard in an 8' area, and I can get to both sides easy. Hangers for "stuff" best bought at flea markets. Then had lots of screws and small hardware in various containers cluttering up my workbench, so built a "pieces and parts" storage. The little jars were at one time kat treat jars, also use empty plastic mayonase jars (square type). Bought some plastic bins for heavier stuff and marked each one. Also makes life easier. The workbench is essential. It is 4'x8' and directly in back of table saw. I can use it for running a piece 4'x8' plywood thru without neededing help, and I made drawers for underneath for router bits, chisels etc on two sides. Tried to make use of available space. Last thing was to make a sanding station. All sandpaper sheets lay flat in drawer under it. Sandpaper discs of various grits hang on small pegboard, and also made shelf for sanders .

So perhaps these pictures will give y'all some ideas. I didn't do overnite, but well worth the time and effort. Oh lastly all wrenches, screwdrivers in a rollaway tool box. Each drawer for type of tools. Makes life easier when u look for a screwdriver and know exactly where it is, biggest thing is putting it back after you finish with it.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-pegboard-1.jpg   Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-pegboard-2.jpg   Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-pieces-parts.jpg   Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-sanding-station.jpg   Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-workbench.jpg  

rjbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
WG Writer

Thanks for the ideas. I am sort of a tool-nut so I have a lot of tools, but Ive had a lot of trouble with people coming onto the property and helping themselves. Especially (male) house repair type people. Ive found if I organize stuff too much its like handing it to the thieves.

I have both gardening tools and woodworking tools. The wood working tools are not organized at all at this point. Im just recovering from a major theft.

My gardening tools I keep in a canvas satchel along with a stone to keep them sharp. Long handle tools go heads up in a plastic garbage can.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
WG Facilitator

ooohhhh ahhhhhh Very nice storage area going on there.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
WG Operations, Facilitator

rjbman-
Could I please rent you to come an organize my garden shed, garage, house, and life?

Thanks,
BooBooBearBecky
Old 07-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Lungwort

Only until the first snow fall.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
WG Writer

Very impressive!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

Love it. Love it. Love it.

Please, oh please, come by me and create something for my long handled tools. Those are the ones causing me the most problems.

What are you using for containers in the bottom row of the third photo?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Official Plant Nerd

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice storage solutions. I'll stand in line with the rest for a visit from you.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
Lungwort

In 3rd photo btw, paid cover cloth covers radio/speakers from dust. Top containers are wall-mart pastic 6"Wx4"Dx12" and have lids. Chose this size base on the amount of room I had to utilize after radio was on shelf, and also stackability. The small jars I have been saving for many years. They are actually recycled kat treat jars. Perfect size to hold whole box of screws, many small nuts, bolts, pieces and parts and I like because i can see into them. Also found that recycled kraft mayonase cotainers (square ones) worked great too for larger stuff like lag screws. I don't using glass containers of any kind in garage. Hope this helps.

Ron
Old 07-24-2009, 09:49 AM   #10
Lungwort

Default Long Handle tools - stoarage possibility

Was not ignoring your question re long handled tools. Had to go out in shop and make up guide this morning. Picture worth a thousand words.

Long handled garden stuff always a problem. I just haven't had the time to do that project yet. I am not a big fan of the various screw in or hammer in hardware/peg board hooks, or large nails for things like shovels, picks, pitchforks. I have a garage with has cinder block walls on two sides and wood on the other. Store bought hangers never seem to quite be the right size, peg board hangers bend or come off when u least want them to, nails work loose. What I intend to do is similar to what I did for my handsaws. Just take a 2x4. Then set it on the floor. Place the tools that i need to hang on it, for spacing and ease of access. Also measure the length of what the doweling has to be for the tool to hang on. Each tool is different. Don't forget to allow for about 1 1/2" it will go into the wood too.

Then mark for each hole to be drilled. I am planning on using 1" doweling, depending on what you are going to hang other diameters should work too. You should drill holes at a slight upward angle, but not much needed. If you don't have a drill press, here's a little trick. just take a block of scrap wood 2" shorter than your bit length. Cut one end the angle you want the peg to be at. Put in vise and carefully drill 1" ,or whatever diameter doweling u are using, hole all the way thru the wood. Cut one end of block at an angle, 5 degrees works nice, but up to you. Now when you do each hole slide the bit into the wood until tip even with beveled end. Place wood on 2x4 and hold firmly with one hand as you use it as a guide to drill with. Coat doweling and tap into hole.

To put up just use screws if you are fortunate enough to have wood walls. If cinder block, you can get a complete package at Lowes or other hardwood store called Phillips KwikTap. It comes with bit, screws and masonry bit. I usually pre-drill with small pilot holes in 2x4 first, then have some one hold one end while I drill with masonry bit into cinder block. Then just screw in the special screws that will go right into the hole in the block. Next, just put level on top of 2x4 and drill other end. Add 2 or 3 screws in center and that will hold most anything. Just some ideas, would love to see some other solutions too.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-doweling.jpg   Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-guide.jpg   Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-fasteners.jpg  

Tags
possibilities, storage, tool