Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #61
Pope

Shortleaf and loblolly are the most common around here. The fact that the old timers in the neighborhood all call it bull pine isn't much help.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #62
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
MaggyNoLia (what were you doing in Montgomery Co., anyway?).
I lived in Rockville, Md pretty much from the time I was 5 until I was 19. My parents still live up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Do you also do woodworking MaggyNoLia?
I've done some very small projects over the years. I mostly enjoy staining and finishing. If I lived in Md near my father I would be doing a lot more projects with wood. My father is amazing with wood. He makes replicas of antiques the same way they were made years ago. He uses chisels and lathes and the old elbow grease ways of polishing it to shine. If I can find some pictures of some of his work I'll post them.

Hedgerowe and hazelnut you both have beautiful homes that I would love to work on myself. SF and I looked at an old historical plantation house before we bought the present house we were in. While I would have loved tackling that house, previous owners had made a lot of renovations that would have to be undone. Since I am by no means a demolitions expert we found another property about a mile downstream of the plantation.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #63
WG Writer

I found that making reproductions of hand made antiques is a strange - sort of surprising way of doing history. You have to go through the same mental processes as a craftsman long since dead in order to get a match to the end result. Sometimes it makes you smile - to realize the only way to get this particular bevel and angle would be to do exactly this on the table saw. He had to do exactly the same thing.
Once I even found a piece that was signed in pencil under some bracing. I looked up the name and identified the original craftsman. In this particular case the man gave the piece to his fiance as a wedding present. It was a small table with a tapered fluted base and an oval top.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #64
Pope

Wonderful story, hazelnut. You must have gotten goosebumps when you found that name in pencil. I know what you mean about the awe and thrill of "decoding" older furniture pieces. It is the same with the house.

MaggyNoLia, you did the right thing by escaping Rockville! If you and SF ever want a working vacation, I always can use a hand with the house (but I would not do that to you). I mostly enjoy finishing work myself, but really love trying to work with older finishes and glues and trying to either clean or replicate them. I don't meet very many furniture makers who like finishing (unless they have a spray booth); your dad sounds like a rare jewel (I'll bet he does French Polishing). Hard work.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #65
WG Writer

I love shellac. I learned to do French polish to keep the local ladies from stripping the furniture. They thought because it was dark it needed to be refinished. We also shellacked the heart pine floors -- over protests that they should be polyurethaned to sustain wear.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #66
Pope

Gosh hazelnut. That was very bold, to shellac the floors; it certainly makes refinishing a lot easier. You must make your own, although for floors that would be an enormous amount. I would probably use dewaxed from a can. I like shellac, too (and actually like to dissolve old shellac with new, just to clean a bit). It is probably my favorite finish; remarkably forgiving. I did not have the guts to do that to my floors, though. Do you make your own glue, too? I would like to get or make a glue pot one day and make my own hide glue. I do not like the synthetic epoxies, etc., as they cannot be dissolved. What do you like to use as grain filler, anything? For a painted surface I really like gesso.

(I don't know why the other forum members are putting up with the way that we have hijacked this thread, but I am enjoying the conversation enormously!)
Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 PM   #67
WG Writer

We used a pre-mixed orange shellac thinned way down with alcohol for the floors. Then applied several coats. The restoration carpenters used hide glue and used a little melting pot to make it. They used it to re-attach some veneer on one of the pianos. Ive not used the hide glue.

Well this is a little tangential to "tools". I guess we could go to private messaging.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 AM   #68
Pope

Hide glue can be dissolved with vinegar, so if you are trying to repair something that has a build up of old glue you can start with a relatively clean substrate. You can purchase hide glue pre-made but it has other stuff in it and can be hard to find. Everyone wants Gorilla Glue and the like.

Tags
possibilities, storage, tool