Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #31
WG Writer

I live in an old house but except for the trim on the woodwork it has never been painted. The walls are wallpaper over plaster.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #32
Pope

Ooh. You are a lucky duck. When was your house built? At my 100 year old house the only thing holding the plaster up was the cheesy dime-store panelling put up in the 1960s. Once it came down the plaster was a lost cause. Broke my heart about losing the plaster but it gave me the opportunity to replace the knob and tube wiring and put some insulation in the walls. Oops. Really straying off topic now!
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:09 AM   #33
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgerowe View Post
Rjbman, what a good idea. I've never worked for the Federal Govt. directly (govt. contractors and NFPs only) and so never thought of that. I should look into it. Any advice would be most appreciated.
I remember when I lived in Montgomery County that the schools would sell old stuff every now and then...check out school sales too Hedgerowe.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #34
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Re: sawdust. You could hook up a vacuum system and discharge it into your compost pile.
One of these days I want this system.

Festool Vacuum Systems - Shop - @ Festool Junkie - More than Just Tools

I don't like to put a finish on anything in the same room I have been sanding in, but this system would mean I don't have to worry about dust ruining my finishes anymore.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:20 AM   #35
Pope

Good idea about the school sales, MaggyNoLia (what were you doing in Montgomery Co., anyway?). That vacuum system looks really nice. Now I have equipment envy. Do you also do woodworking MaggyNoLia? I am beginning to feel very unaccomplished around all of you renaissance people!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #36
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Sawdust gets in your lungs and down your underwear.
I choked on my coffee on that one. . .
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #37
WG Writer

Hedgerowe: I took cabinet making at a local junior college. It was an evening course so I just went after work. I stayed in the class 3 or 4 years and learned most of the basic equipment. I want to go back one of these days and learn to use the lathe.

The instructor was a cabinet maker. Next time I would like to find a furniture maker - some one who does Windsor chairs, for example. But its good to start with a cabinet maker because their skills are so basic and general.

The vacuum is a great idea - in fact essential if you are making much sawdust. But, it is very true not all kinds of dust belong in the compost pile. Walnut dust and shavings, for example, can inhibit the growth of many other plants. I found this out the hard way. Most of my stash is salvaged Walnut wood. The walnut trees were bulldozed on TVA projects and pushed into piles and burned. A friend and I arranged to salvage these trees and take them to a lumber mill. My garage still has stacks of walnut planks from those trees.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #38
Pope

Oh, the tables you could make! I have done some minimal furniture restoration (not refinishing), and am interested in homemade (as far as is possible) traditional finishes and stains. I have made my own stains, but have used purchased pigments to make them. I would like to make stains from natural pigments, and have always wanted to try ebonizing using walnut husks, as a matter of fact. There are some good recipes around. Will need to get some really good gloves for that project!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #39
WG Writer

Oh the world of working wood awaits you! Wood grains are so fascinating. And some people like to do inlays - using several grain patterns in one piece.

The projects that I did in class were copies of little tables and stools from the historic house where I worked. Now I am into boxes. My very first project -- every one did this - was to make a tool box. I did such a good job I never wanted to put my tools in it!

A really interesting wood around here is osage orange - it has a red wood and contrasts nicely with other woods - like Magnolia which is white.

There is a local wood worker famous for his inlays.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #40
Pope

I have spent a couple of weeks at a furniture school in Maine, learning finishing and restoration work, and loved every minute of it. I have never seen osage orange wood, but now would love to (maybe if I ever get out to Illinois, which is where I have seen the most of it). It sounds pretty--I like red woods. I have never seen magnolia wood either, but would to fool around with the wood from holly, which is also bone white. It is like a blank slate for stain.

Tags
possibilities, storage, tool