Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #11
Unicellular Fungi

The pegboard idea looks wonderful. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. When the kids were younger we had a pegboard for their coats at their height level.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
Pope

Rjbman, your garage is a thing of beauty. I, myself, crave order and have spent hours designing and constructing orderly and efficient storage areas in both garage and shed. Power tools are my friends (and at our house they belong to me, not the husband--see below).

Unfortunately, the husband is unable to perceive order (also unable to shut a door or close a drawer, but that is a different forum altogether). He has no trouble finding things before he uses them (wonder why?) but can never figure out where they came from once he's done with them. It is my lucky day if I find things in the room they originally came from. He owns a few tools but most will never be seen again in this lifetime. They are probably hidden with several of mine that I can no longer locate, for some reason. He even lost the chainsaw for a few months. I envy you and your lovely garage.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #13
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Please, oh please, come by me and create something for my long handled tools. Those are the ones causing me the most problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbman View Post
Long handled garden stuff always a problem. I just haven't had the time to do that project yet. I am not a big fan of the various screw in or hammer in hardware/peg board hooks, or large nails for things like shovels, picks, pitchforks. I have a garage with has cinder block walls on two sides and wood on the other. Store bought hangers never seem to quite be the right size, peg board hangers bend or come off when u least want them to, nails work loose. Ron
Long handled and heavy stuff gave me a lot of problems at first too. The racks I bought just were not strong enough to hold some of my heavier tools. Then I found Gladiator Gear Tracks. They can be bought at Lowes and you can buy whatever hanger you want to go with it and in two years it hasn't loosened or bent in any way. This site shows you some of the options that the gear track can handle
Buy Gladiator Garage Works - Gladiator Gear Wall Channels 4' (2 Pack) #GAWC042PPY

Below is a picture of my gear track. I only have one section now but plan on replacing the cheap track I originally bought at some point. I've had this up for two years and as you can see there is a good amount of weight on this track and it is not pulling away from the wall and the gear hangers are not bending in any way. I use ęTapcon screws for all my cinderblock needs. I make sure to get the hex head and not the phillips head because it's easier for me to keep the drill on the head.
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2107.jpgTool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2109.jpgTool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2110.jpg

The track I pictured below is the cheaper track. It's okay for long stuff as long as it doesn't have too much weight to it. As I said above I do plan on replacing most of it eventually with the Gladiator Gear Track, but I'll keep the ones that can handle the smaller stuff.
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2105.jpgTool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2106.jpg
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Fox

I'm not near as handy with wood as rjbman. I end up cutting six boards just to get one right....so it can become fairly expensive when I endeavor to make something out of wood. Hiring someone that can cut a board correctly is also expensive so I make do with objects I can buy to make what I want. Examples....

Bird Seed Storage - I wanted something easy to open, but that could be closed tight. I wanted it on shelves so I could store on the bottom and on the top have access to the seed for filling the feeders. Pictured below is what I came up with. One day I do plan on building the shelves with wood...I just need to win the lottery...
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2111.jpg

Tool storage:
-Peg boards are my favorite. Picture #1 is the peg board I use mostly for all my water hose stuff although it seems to be gathering small gardening tools too. Pictures #2 and #3 is in my workshop area. I plan on installing another row of pegboard above the existing peg board. I have the peg board...just need to do it.
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2112.jpgTool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2113.jpgTool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2118.jpg
Old 07-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #15
Fox

For areas that need more than peg boards I use shelves and old dressers. Now while I have all the necessities for organization I have lacked the drive to organize everything. I'm slowly working on it but I have a long way to go. One day everything will be in it's place. Pictured below are the dressers and cabinets and shelves that I use for my additional storage needs. The dressers are good for things that you have a lot of that don't hang well. For me that's tape, sand paper and blocks, rolling frames and a whole slew of other odds and ends.
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2115.jpg
Eventually the big metal cabinet will house my power tools but for now it has junk that needs to be sorted.
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2116.jpg
The shelves end up holding whatever the cabinets and dressers don't.
Tool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2117.jpgTool Storage- Some Possibilities-img_2119.jpg
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

You been holding out on everyone, eh? You think you need to organize better? You're kidding right. First thought that popped into my head when I looked at your photos is that no way if you come to Illinois will I ever let you in my garage. You people are all making me feel like a pig. I've got to do something to get organized.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #17
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
You been holding out on everyone, eh? You think you need to organize better? You're kidding right. First thought that popped into my head when I looked at your photos is that no way if you come to Illinois will I ever let you in my garage. You people are all making me feel like a pig. I've got to do something to get organized.
What you don't see is the mess inside each of those drawers. There are boxes that still need to be emptied and put in place. Nothing is really organized...I take something out of a box...if I think I'll need it soon I try to find space on the pegboards. If I don't think I'll need it soon it goes into a drawer. I can't find half of what I need with things the way they are now. I've got two tool boxes and three packed boxes full of my grandfathers old tools that need to be hung up high for decorating...half of it doesn't work. The pegboard above the computer desk....has junk....small stuff that I think I'll want for something and want to know where it is and the rest I want to put somewhere but I need to figure out how to file it so to speak so it still sits on the pegboards.

The nice organized shelves....not quite. We just kind of shoved half of that down there on the shelves when we unpacked them. Again I need to organize what is down there into nice little groups. I'm slowly working through things, but it will probably be another three or four years before I have it close. You also don't see the table that has no room because of stuff just dropped on it, the cartop carrier on the floor instead of where it belongs, the bags that need to go to goodwill. I could honestly go on but it seems I already have.....<shuts up>
Old 07-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

You're still not getting in my garage if you ever come to visit. I don't care what you say... a photo is worth a thousand words. I do have an attic that is down to insulation and wiring. I gutted that and hauled off everything to Salvation Army and Good Will. My basement does NOT have aisles through it to move around any more. That wasn't my choice to work down there. We had some major storms go through and we were without electricity for a long time and the whole basement flooded and one of our electric back up pumps failed to kick in. It was old and in need of being replaced but we didn't know it. The other back up pump worked for a while but fried out pumping on its own for so long. Get flooded out and a basement gets cleaned up real fast. We had boxes down there from when we moved in 8 years ago. Pathetic. You can go in my basement or my attic... you can go in any of my linen closets or into any of my kitchen cupboards but no way can you go in the garage until we do something about it. I started trying to gut it and was doing really well hauling it off to charity until... my husband bought a toy car and parked it in the bay I had gutted. That pushed everything into the other bays... where other cars are parked. He hung bicycles from the ceiling to get his new toy in. We have 8 bikes hanging and they belong to kids that are long gone and on their own. You have to work your way in sideways in that garage to get to a car. Getting inside the car lends new definition to the term contortionist.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #19
Fox

Quote:
You're still not getting in my garage if you ever come to visit. I don't care what you say... a photo is worth a thousand words. I do have an attic that is down to insulation and wiring. I gutted that and hauled off everything to Salvation Army and Good Will. My basement does NOT have aisles through it to move around any more. That wasn't my choice to work down there. We had some major storms go through and we were without electricity for a long time and the whole basement flooded and one of our electric back up pumps failed to kick in. It was old and in need of being replaced but we didn't know it. The other back up pump worked for a while but fried out pumping on its own for so long. Get flooded out and a basement gets cleaned up real fast. We had boxes down there from when we moved in 8 years ago. Pathetic. You can go in my basement or my attic... you can go in any of my linen closets or into any of my kitchen cupboards but no way can you go in the garage until we do something about it. I started trying to gut it and was doing really well hauling it off to charity until... my husband bought a toy car and parked it in the bay I had gutted. That pushed everything into the other bays... where other cars are parked. He hung bicycles from the ceiling to get his new toy in. We have 8 bikes hanging and they belong to kids that are long gone and on their own. You have to work your way in sideways in that garage to get to a car. Getting inside the car lends new definition to the term contortionist.
The two drive bays in our garage always have to be ready to house our cars in case of a hurricane. The one bay stays cleared all the time and the other bay is where the bird seed and dog run is. The run gates all lift off of their hinge and the bird seed can be moved if need be. Hopefully we'll never have water in our garage. SquirrelFeeder had a basement when she lived in Massachusetts and had problems on occasion with her sump pump...kinda makes me glad we don't need them here. Then again we don't build much below the ground unless it's a pool.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #20
WG Operations, Facilitator

pig

Quote:
Snork Snort Grunt...I'm a little piggy too E.

Let's take photos of our "messes" and torment the neat freaks.

Actually, I'm in total AWE of the organizational skills of some of our members! WOW!

BooBooBearBecky

Tags
possibilities, storage, tool