Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

View Poll Results: What's your favorite garden weeding tool?
A sharp pointed hoe. I like to really stab the life out of those nasty weeds. 2 7.14%
A flat edged hoe. It's better to drag a weed out of the ground to ensure a slow agonizing death. 1 3.57%
A hand trowel. Careful removal of a single weed along with identification is of utmost importance. 8 28.57%
A special weed extraction device like the "weed hound." It's hi-tech war when it comes to weeds. 3 10.71%
A propane torch. What can I say, I'm a pyromaniac and I enjoy watching weeds burn to a crisp. 3 10.71%
Chemicals. Hey, I don't have time to weed. 1 3.57%
Who needs a tool? I use my bare hands and kill them via strangulation. 11 39.29%
ME pull weeds?! I just plant stuff and hire someone to pull the weeds. 0 0%
Kill weeds? Nah, I think they're pretty and part of nature. 1 3.57%
Other. 9 32.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM   #21
Unicellular Fungi

Imagine that.

Married to women who know how to read.

You are both lucky they did not throw your happy go lucky rears out the front door and toss a sleeping bag out after you.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #22
Lungwort

again ? lol
rjbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 AM   #23
Rock Star

Japanese Knife Weeder- it has a sharp point to plunge into the earth and the serrated edge does a good job sawing through tree roots.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #24
Lungwort

my wife weeder uses an apple corer. Would that be similar ? Says it's great for gettin weed out and most of the roots.
rjbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:41 AM   #25
Official Plant Nerd

I've used a lot of oddball tools to get at weeds but not an apple corer. What ever works and you can bet I'll be trying an apple corer. Cool tip.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #26
Unicellular Fungi

Reviving an older thread for myself and other new folks.
My favorite tools for weeding are;

1)A Claw Hammer

2)Matic

3)For trees- a extention electric chainsaw
Which my girlfriend calls a "Chainsaw on a stick!

Altho my hubby goes nuts everytime he "catches" me edging or weeding with his carpentry tools my reply is the same "Red Green said it was O.K.!"
Reciting the Men's prayer is like counting to 10...he's wandered off before I've finished!
Tberri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 AM   #27
WG Writer

My favorite tool is a small hand hoe which I originally got at Smith & Hawken. When I just now went for the link I found that Smith & Hawken has gone out of business. How sad - they were always a source of inspiration and presented us with the very best of gardening concepts and tools from the old English tradition.

Here is a similar hoe from the Hida Tool Company.

Hida Tool & Hardware Co., Inc. - will not link to specific tool, but I leave it here if anyone is interested in Japanese garden tools.

Try: http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=18%2E010%2E90& dept_id=13204

the short-handled Japanese hoe. Very handy, very sharp.

Also, in archeological excavations we always used Marshall Town masonry towels filed to a narrow point when doing detailed work -- like freeing a pot, or burial from a dirt matrix. Now Marshall Town is making archeology trowels. Very handy for detailed slicing to get weeds away from a treasured plant.

http://www.marshalltown.com/products.aspx?D=900
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #28
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

I usually weed by hand. I started weeding in the school garden this afternoon with a hoe, then realized there were a multitude of tiny milkweed plants coming up in the weeds! I took off the gloves and started pulling by hand. Slow going, but you don't accidentally pull out the wrong thing!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best garden tool, best garden tools, best weeding tool, controlling weeds, favorite, favorite garden tools, favorite weeding tool, garden, garden tool, garden tools, gardening, tool, tools, useful garden tools, weed, weed control, weeding, weeding tool, weeding tools, weeds