Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:23 AM   #1
Rock Star

Default Most used tools for the garden?

My absolute favorite, multi use tool, to always carry in the garden is a Japanese Weeding Knife. It's sharp enough to help divide and seperate plants. It also functions as a trowel and can be used to weed.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
WG Writer

http://www.smithandhawken.com/catalo...ryId=cat120313

This is the Smith and Hawken tool page. Will-o-wisp's weeding knife is on the far right, first row. To the left of it is a short handled hoe. This is my favorite tool. You can pull up underground runners with the back prongs and whack them off with the blade.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Unicellular Fungi

I keep meaning to buy one of those Japanese weeding knives like what will-o-wisp has that everyone raves about. I've been using a serrated kitchen knife from Cutco for years and have to go looking for it every time I want to use it inside.

I do have a small hoe with a long handle. Mine is some sort of an off-brand but it has served me well so when it goes I'll replace it with a quality product.
TheLorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Rock Star

Thanks for posting a link to a photo of the Japanese weeding knife Hazelnut. I kept on losing mine in the garden so now I paint the handle bright blue and tie a strip of yellow plastic to the handle.
I've never used a hoe and wonder if it would work in tight spaces?

My second most useful tool is a standard garden or spading fork. I find it easier to use then a spade to dig out plants and turn compost and soil. It also seems to do less damage to the roots of plants and if you work your way around all 4 sides of a plant they seem to pop out.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
WG Writer

There is a very small hand hoe that has a blade only about an inch wide. It is excellent for working in close around plants.

In archeology a basic tool is an ordinary serrated grapefruit knife with a bent tip. Very useful for separating a skull from a dirt matrix(!). Also a mason's trowel kept super sharp is a useful tool. Shovels - the curved blade type - were cut off straight and that really is the best tool for moving a lot of dirt. We dug in 20 cm levels so I put a mark on mine 20 cm from the tip of the blade. My digging buddy though said his shovel "knew" where 20 cm was, and thought it was silly for me to put a 20 cm mark on my shovel.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #6
Big Fat juicy WORM

I have 2, an old butcher knife that has been redone to provide that 1 inch blade with a cushion grip for my hands. And a 5 tined pitchfork that belonged to my parents. DH changed the handle to make it easier for me to work with. I use it for a variety of tasks. Not the least of which is flipping the compost bins. My head says I'm 25, but the body is telling me different.
doccat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

My favorite all-around weeding tool also came from Smith & Hawken, but I see they no longer carry it. It is a forged pick/hoe with the blade 1" wide, handle about 12". Perfect weight and very precise. To use the knife the soil must be well-tilled or it's too hard to push it in, so it wouldn't work well in most wildland restoration weeding of invasives where I've done most of my work. a tool that you can swing gets better penetration in harder ground.
birdwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #8
Unicellular Fungi

You do restoration work? Have you ever tried one of these-
http://www.canonbal.org/weed.html
It's the best!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:32 AM   #9
Unicellular Fungi

If the canonbal link was supposed to go where I think it was, Lorax, then yes I have used them a lot. Not as much as I would like, though, because I'm too busy making them!
birdwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Unicellular Fungi

That link was supposed to go to a weed wrench. It's my most valuable weeding tool. I don't know why that link isn't working. Did they go out of business and now people have to make them for themselves? I don't understand. There are going to be a lot of really bummed people out there if they went under. I'm sure yours are very nice though.

Tags
garden, tools