Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 05:50 AM   #11
Hippie Gardener

i tried a push-mower for a year or two as well. It just didn't get the weeds - they would pop right back up. I have just a small city lot and I don't care about making the back yard "presentable", but I try to keep my front yard looking OK to avoid neighbor conflicts. I've also used an electric mower (bought one with the house 20+ years ago). It worked fine but dragging the cord around was a PAIN. Can't tell you how many times I nicked the cord with the mower! When it finally died, I went back to gas. I haven't mowed yet this year (refuse to mow in April!). In an average year, I'll mow about every other week in June and early July and less than that in the hot/dry late July and August weather. I never water my grass.

So....in the end, I guess what I'm saying is: I've tried different mowers and have just decided that gas works best for me. I just try to stretch the time between mowings as much as I can get away with.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:56 AM   #12
Heron

The reel mower requires weekly mowing to be effective. If the plants get too large, they just get pushed instead of cut. Cutting back with a sharp scythe and mowing again seems to work for me, but I only have maybe 200sq ft with lawn.
rockerBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Alternate POM Judge

Some of the tough weeds get pushed over in my pasture and don't get cut very well. And that is using a lawn tractor with a pretty big motor. My pasture is always rough looking. I know a lot of people who want there pasture to look like a lawn. I just mow it to keep the weeds from interfering with the growth of the grass.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 AM   #14
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
i tried a push-mower for a year or two as well. It just didn't get the weeds - they would pop right back up. I have just a small city lot and I don't care about making the back yard "presentable", but I try to keep my front yard looking OK to avoid neighbor conflicts. I've also used an electric mower (bought one with the house 20+ years ago). It worked fine but dragging the cord around was a PAIN. Can't tell you how many times I nicked the cord with the mower! When it finally died, I went back to gas. I haven't mowed yet this year (refuse to mow in April!). In an average year, I'll mow about every other week in June and early July and less than that in the hot/dry late July and August weather. I never water my grass.

So....in the end, I guess what I'm saying is: I've tried different mowers and have just decided that gas works best for me. I just try to stretch the time between mowings as much as I can get away with.
katjh,

I'm most interested in keeping paths mowed so I can walk the property...but, until I have natives everywhere, I will be mowing sections to keep alien grasses and weeds at bay...and because, despite people probably thinking our property is too wild/unkempt, I do like things a little on the neater side. The bluebirds need things open (so even my meadow sections will eventually need mowed maybe once every three years.

Anyway, I grew up using a corded electric mower...until now, I don't think I thought much about my dad's choice at the time not to have a gas powered mower. ~smile~ I just remember learning on that mower and having to keep the cord to one side.

I ended up buying a Kobalt mower (another electric, cordless moweR) last night. I plan to try it out today.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerBOO View Post
The reel mower requires weekly mowing to be effective. If the plants get too large, they just get pushed instead of cut. Cutting back with a sharp scythe and mowing again seems to work for me, but I only have maybe 200sq ft with lawn.
Well, I was able to use the reel type in the front when my mower was out of commission...it worked, but was not ideal. With my desire to have a short mix of grashe's and forbs, it just won't work...but I'm glad I gave it a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenW View Post
Some of the tough weeds get pushed over in my pasture and don't get cut very well. And that is using a lawn tractor with a pretty big motor. My pasture is always rough looking. I know a lot of people who want there pasture to look like a lawn. I just mow it to keep the weeds from interfering with the growth of the grass.
sigh

I don't see why a pasture should look like a lawn. I'm with you, Ellen.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 05-29-2015, 10:27 AM   #16
Lungwort

I'm having a similar experience to you, dapjwy. I've used a reel mower for years, and it does get the job done, but things always look a little ragged. I'm tired of arguing with my wife about it, so we just ordered a Ryobi 40 volt battery powered mower. I'll let you know how it works. I did borrow my neighbor's battery powered mower once, which was a Sun Joe model, and it worked great. The only downside was its wieght since I live on a slope. I also bought a Ryobi battery powered weed wacker, which works great so far.
Helianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #17
Hippie Gardener

I did a little research on battery powered mowers before I bought our most recent gas mower. As I recall, reviews said that Michigan winters were very hard on the batteries - unless you store them in a heated area. I guess I could sock it away down the basement somewhere.

It's been a few years, though. Maybe things have improved since I last looked.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helianthus View Post
I'm having a similar experience to you, dapjwy. I've used a reel mower for years, and it does get the job done, but things always look a little ragged. I'm tired of arguing with my wife about it, so we just ordered a Ryobi 40 volt battery powered mower. I'll let you know how it works. I did borrow my neighbor's battery powered mower once, which was a Sun Joe model, and it worked great. The only downside was its wieght since I live on a slope. I also bought a Ryobi battery powered weed wacker, which works great so far.
I hope you like it.

I am satisfied with the Kobalt I bought. Considering the size of the areas I still mow, it does very well.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I did a little research on battery powered mowers before I bought our most recent gas mower. As I recall, reviews said that Michigan winters were very hard on the batteries - unless you store them in a heated area. I guess I could sock it away down the basement somewhere.

It's been a few years, though. Maybe things have improved since I last looked.
Good to know. I didn't realize that winter storage could be a problem. I have no problem storing it in the house--actually, I'm recharging it in the house since I'm not supposed to leave it in the charger once it is fully charged. I don't get to the garage that often to check and remove it from charger. A little less than ideal, but I can live with it.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #20
Lungwort

I cut my front lawn yesterday with the Ryobi battery powered mower, and it worked great. I liked the light weight and quiet sound. The battery ran out of juice just as I finished the front lawn, but the good thing is that it comes with two batteries. Overall, I'm pleased with the mower.
Helianthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, lawn, mower