Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #21
Official Plant Nerd

Maxamillion> "Not sure if you are still trying to fix your tomato cages. You can solder them, but you will want to get some light gauge wire and wrap them first, making tight clean coils for strength. Then get some lead solder and make sure you heat the material not the solder. I wouldn't recommend flux core for this, I'd use a good spread on flux to make sure you get it in all the crevices then solder away, it will hold very well. I'd also make sure you sand the points where you want to attach the pieces, solder doesn't like dirty joints." YES.... I'm still trying to fix the tomato cages. I'll admit I'm not too handy so you have to tell me exactly what I need to buy to try soldering them. I know farm and fleet has lead solder and if I print off what you told me to do.... the people who work there will make sure I get the right lead solder and wire. I'm loving this idea and I have used a solder gun before when I made some stained glass so I'm not afraid to use 1. I'd do it on the driveway though until I got the hang of it. I'm pretty sure I can do this so thank you thank you thank you!!!
--
Oh oh oh.... please be specific on soldering guns since I know there's quite a few different types out there and I don't want to buy the wrong type for what I'm going to be doing. I'm not exactly the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to picking the right tool for the job.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
Heron

Take two tomato cages and fit them into each other - having two to hold up the tomato. Two are stronger than one.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #23
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
--
Oh oh oh.... please be specific on soldering guns since I know there's quite a few different types out there and I don't want to buy the wrong type for what I'm going to be doing. I'm not exactly the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to picking the right tool for the job.

Any soldering gun is good. The higher the wattage the quicker it heats up and the hotter it gets. If you were soldiering electronics I'd tell you to get a 20/40 watt. For doing general work 40+ is better (if you can find them cheap I'd get 80 or 150), some even go to 300 to 1200 watts ( you don't need those).

As far as wire goes to wrap the joints, use any flexable wire that holds it's shape. Copper, aluminum, steel(hard to find small guage). You should just be able to wrap the wire around the joints and it will hold it tightly. Then paste on your flux, then heat the wire and just like doing stained glass it will wick the soldier right in. Remember to take some 200 grit or so sand paper to the wire before you soldier it.
maxanderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broke, broken, cable ties, cages, fix, repair, solder, tomato, tomato cage, tomato cages, wire, wires