Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Miscellaneous Gardening Boards > Tools and Supplies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

spruce> I was thinking Gorilla Glue squeezed into the cable ties ao it would foam up and maybe hold the cable ties in place so they'd stop sliding around up and down.
--
Is there such a thing as thin aluminum wire on a spool? And.... copper wire is EXPENSIVE. You mentioned scrap copper wire. I know we don't have any of that around. This weekend somebody told me that there's copper wire in old radios. Who knows which old radios have the copper wire in them but.... what else would have copper wire in it that I could be on the look out for if I'm at a garage sale or an estate sale? Just curious.
--
"Some one could weld those tomato cages but that won't last either" This weekend I was told the same thing by a guy who has been a welder for 30 years. He said it could be done but a new weld would last about as long as the old weld lasted and that I'd have to have the right equipment and.... I don't so.... that's out.
--
Lead is definitely soft and.... the temps required were pretty low if I remember right.... it doesn't even hold up that well in larger pieces of stained glass which is why larger pieces have iron supports in them. It works great for smaller stained glass pieces utilizing the copper foil method but.... not so great the traditional way. I guess I was just thinking outloud because I've done that before.
--
The j hooks I'm using for the eggplants are almost the same gauge as the wire used to make the tomato supports. Maybe I got the wrong j hooks? I'm looking at a pack of what I bought right now and there's no way those will bend around like wire.
--
ww> I dunno about strips of aluminum foil.... I'd probably have better luck with pantyhose.
--
You might be onto something with "flux coated brazing rods". Not for tomato cages I don't think... at least not the cheap tomato cages I've got. I found out a soldering gun won't do it.... I'd need to buy an actual soldering iron made for the kind of work I want to do which is basic repairs.
--
I totally agree on tools as gifts. If my husband mentions a specific tool.... I'll write it down and get it other wise it'd just get returned. Same thing for me... I have to try them out 1st or at the very least.... have a basic idea of how they're used otherwise they'd just sit in a box and I don't want anything else around here sitting in a box unused. I think tools are a lot like buying make up and personal hygiene products like deodorants.... if we're the 1 going to be using them.... we pretty much have to be the 1 buying them. Our bodies are all different.... I can't handle the size of chainsaw that my husband or 1 of my brothers would use for any length of time... I can handle my little Stihl Arborist's chainsaw for hours on end though.
--
liquid> Woven wire would probably be the way to go. I've seen it at farm auctions. Problem is I bought all these cheaply made tomato cages and it's killing me watching them self destruct on me.
--
I found this, MIG, TIG or Arc welding?. That about sums up what the welder I was talking to this weekend told me. My dad has an arc welder with what I think is probably a general purpose rod. It's an older arc welder. I'm thinking that it would probably be better for our family if I went with a MIG or a TIG welder instead of another Arc welder that I could borrow anytime I wanted. The guys were all talking this weekend and they said I could probably pick up an older used decent quality MIG welder for around $250. They seem to think MIG is the way to go for what I want to do.
--
The welder I was talking to this weekend said he'd give me some private lessons in exchange for teaching his 14 year old son how to can up strawberry jam. I guess his kid loves strawberries, grows his own, learned how to make freezer jam from his mom but.... wants to learn how to make strawberry jam in a canner and I guess his wife doesn't know how to do that so can't teach their son.... it is intimidating getting started. I guess we're gonna get together this fall after things slow down at work for him and me. He has a MIG and TIG welder.... no Arc welder but he said he knows how to use 1. I'll probably know more about welding after he works with me a couple hours. I think hands on is for sure the best way to learn and he told me we'd spend a coupla hours over a coupla weekends and I'd have the basics down and could take it from there on my own. He said it's not like I need to be certified or anything to try my hand at basic repairs around the house. I did find welding classes at a community college and there's no way I can commit to a semester of Basic Metallurgy, Manufacturing Processes, Blueprint Reading, and Applied Fabricating and Processing to get to a single General Welding class. Ridiculous. There are actually 5 prerequisite classes to the General Welding class I want to take.... the 5th is an Applied Mathematics I class that when I called.... they said I should probably take only because I've been out of college for almost 40 years. The colleges and tech schools are all geared toward certification... certification... certification.... certification so welders are in compliance with all the regulations. There were some non credit weekend welding bootcamps offered somewhere a few years ago but I haven't seen any offered recently and... I've been looking.... maybe the liability was too high to keep offering em? The classes were always filled every time I checked so it's not like there wasn't interest.
--
After all is said and done.... I'm thinking the copper wire is the best way to go for my tomato cages. Maybe some day I'll learn enough to make my own tomato cages from heavier dutier materials that would last longer than 1 season.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
Fox

pawprint I would of just used the pantyhose

Just a hint for your son, try the 1/16" size welding rods (instead of the 1/8"), he might surprize himself how easily light material can be welded with an plain old arc welder. Always buy your rods that you know have never been wet, and always stored in a sealed bag or can so moisture in the air doesn't make them difficult to use.

Hey Equilibrium, don't use the aluminum foil fix, as the dis-similar metals connected to the dirt would just cause the aluminum to corrode much faster than normal and probably wouldn't last a season, Sprucetree reminded me of that in the watercan fix thread!

ww
wildwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
Heron

Thanks WildWatcher for the advice - we will probably go with a stick welder and the smaller sticks. It might have to wait now though -- I am going to get him a tooth implant instead. Sigh - always something

My son took welding in vocational High School - by the way -- since Equil was telling us her experience at the community college. .

All the teenage boys all came out carrying their little welded blocks - as proud as could be -- all so enthused and loving welding. The teacher was exceptional person!

and I so want to share this - little unimportant thing but a long time ago - I substituted for the teacher in a voc welding class - at another school, place and time from my son's class. .
I ran into some amazing boys. I was talking to one and some how we got around talking about trucks. My husband was trying to sell ours in the newspaper. The boy got just a whiff of it and right away rattled off it's description, make, model, size of engine, even the color.

I stood there stunned!
He laughed and said he knew ever truck that had been advertised in the last three years, and it was not just trucks - but all the vehicles.

Such a memory!
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Official Plant Nerd

College isn't for everyone. I dunno why the big push to get every kid to go to college. Anywhooo.... I'd like to find a teacher like that so I could come out carrying little welded blocks proud as can be!!! I'm sure the guy I found will teach me the basics but.... it'd be nice going to a welding boot camp too.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Take a look at the photo. I know.... I know.... using the cable ties was a "girl" fix. Duct tape didn't work so this was the best I could come up with. There's got to be a better way.
Yes! Give them a toss and go curb picking in the spring when people clear out their garages. That's what I do. Junk week comes but once a year OR...
What can I do to fix these tomato cages?-img_2451.jpg
What you need to do is to criss cross from one leg (and around the hoop) to the other to the other and so on to tighten things up so it doesn't hoola hoop its way down. The tomato plant or whatever still fits inside. You can find copper wire inside electrical cables and wires such as in lamp cords. Sometimes they are solid but most are cabled. Strip the plastic from them by cutting partially through. Grab just the wire and give a good pull with the pliers to pull it free of the plastic.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

If I do what you say.... criss crossing.... then how does the plant grow up through the center? Ohhhhh..... there's copper wire in old lamp cords and electrical cables..... oh la la!!! I'll be on the lookout for old lamps and such on garbage day!!! I want me some copper wire and I don't want to pay for it!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #17

It'll be center enough.....Not any different than if the stem wasn't perfectly vertical running up it.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Unicellular Fungi

Not sure if you are still trying to fix your tomato cages. You can solder them, but you will want to get some light gauge wire and wrap them first, making tight clean coils for strength. Then get some lead solder and make sure you heat the material not the solder. I wouldn't recommend flux core for this, I'd use a good spread on flux to make sure you get it in all the crevices then solder away, it will hold very well. I'd also make sure you sand the points where you want to attach the pieces, solder doesn't like dirty joints.
maxanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #19

Good idea~! I never thought about wrapping a coil of wire around the thing and soldering over "that" to hold things in place.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Heron

I too think that is a great idea - it would make it hold in several different places and not just the one area.
liquidambar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broke, broken, cable ties, cages, fix, repair, solder, tomato, tomato cage, tomato cages, wire, wires